[REMOVE ADS]

News From Diana!

I'm sure many of us have received the e-mail - here's a copy-n-paste for those who did not -

"Thank You Album Chart News

Hi

My new album Thank You is charting at #7 in the UK today. I'm so excited by this awesome news. This is so amazing and wonderful - I'm so appreciative of all of you and the support you've shown me with this new release. This will be an incredible 'Thanksgiving'!"

Yes, it will, Miss Ross. You have created a lovely and inspiring album and your true fans are loving it!

Yes, I truly wish the US would embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yes, I truly wish the US would embrace it.
    I as well, Capt.J! But with 'fans' like Diana has here, who needs enemies? I wish our forum had embraced the lp, but I certainly didn't expect that. Diana has made a wonderful lp so we can be thankful for that!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I as well, Capt.J! But with 'fans' like Diana has here, who needs enemies? I wish our forum had embraced the lp, but I certainly didn't expect that. Diana has made a wonderful lp so we can be thankful for that!
    Totally agree with you. I've been avoiding all of the threads concerning her new album on this forum because I have no desire to read the ongoing criticisms. I absolutely love it, from start to finish, and have had my multiple formats of it on repeat everyday. I also wish that the US [[and Canada too) would embrace this album like the UK has. She has 3 million followers on Facebook, so one would think that at least a small percentage of that number would have translated into a higher sales number and chart position for the album's opening week...but it is what it is. I will be forever grateful that we got another album from her and it's a fantastic one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Your name calling and total lack of respect for other members opinion on this forum is astonishing. Either agree with you and think the album perfectly wonderful, or be classified as a Diana enemy. Bit daft me thinks.
    I consider the majority of comments posted to have been pretty balanced, and have really enjoyed reading the varying points if view.
    You refer to this forum as yours. Mercifully it belongs to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Your name calling and total lack of respect for other members opinion on this forum is astonishing. Either agree with you and think the album perfectly wonderful, or be classified as a Diana enemy. Bit daft me thinks.
    I consider the majority of comments posted to have been pretty balanced, and have really enjoyed reading the varying points if view.
    You refer to this forum as yours. Mercifully it belongs to everyone.
    Indeed. Somehow I don't think Thank you would have gone top ten on the US Albums chart if everyone here at the Soulful Detroit Forum had gotten on the Diana Ross is Perfect bandwagon. But if that is the reason, who knew this forum wielded such power and influence?!

11.16.2021 DIANA DEBUTS ON BILLBOARD! Diana Ross' newest album, "Thank You" found the top 30 on these three Billboard charts this morning!

#16 U.S. Billboard Top Current Album Sales
    #19 U.S. Billboard Top Album Sales
    #25 U.S. Billboard Top R&B Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Indeed. Somehow I don't think Thank you would have gone top ten on the US Albums chart if everyone here at the Soulful Detroit Forum had gotten on the Diana Ross is Perfect bandwagon. But if that is the reason, who knew this forum wielded such power and influence?!
    Who would have thought it.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    11.16.2021 DIANA DEBUTS ON BILLBOARD! Diana Ross' newest album, "Thank You" found the top 30 on these three Billboard charts this morning!

This is awesome news!

Thank you for sharing this info!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    This is awesome news!
    Yes it is. I love the new album.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thank you for sharing this info!
    Carlo. Your so welcome.

Here's link to Billboard Hot 200 albums chart for this week:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/

Here's link to Billboard Hot 200 albums chart for this week:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/
    Can I ask you what was the point for posting this link. If you know Diana Ross is not on it?
    Last edited by vgalindo; 11-16-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Billboard sure has changed a lot

They have charts of all kinds and many are not available unless you subscribe

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Billboard sure has changed a lot

They have charts of all kinds and many are not available unless you subscribe
    Indeed, and though I have a bit of interest in the variations between charts [[those that include ALL releases, those that just list cd sales, those that just lise non-catalog sales, etc) it gets a tad dizzying! I can't imaging BB gets too many subscribers just by pay-walling as they do. I don't get the point of limiting information.

Can I ask you what was the point for posting this link. If you know Diana Ross is not on it?
    Because no one else provided a direct link. There was a post stating it was #94 on Hot 200 and we have posts providing chart positions for other Billboard album charts such as physical sales so I thought I'd go to the source to verify and actually provide a link to the official top 200 so others can see for themselves.

It's a bit of stunner that the album didn't appear somewhere on the top 200. I know physical sales are way down as well as downloads. Streaming must be where it's at and Diana's audience skews older so streaming won't have much impact on Top 200 performance. Also that chart has a lot of greatest hits albums and older albums [[like Thriller and 21) on it. I'd like to know how Billboard defines an album stream. Does the whole album have to be played, or can one stream one song from an album and it counts in terms of tallying the Hot 200 album chart? Is the formula Billboard uses to make up the chart unique to the USA, or is this formula in place in other places such as the UK, where Thank You did better chartwise its opening week?

Billboard was once a bible. Now it's a mish mash of everything as it tries to stay relevant. And the mish mash is making it not very relevant.

You can find charts for everything these days. Just like you can find any kind of political news for anything you want.

In the end, it hardly matters.

TY appears to be on lots of charts and seems to be having a world wide impact.

Remember the 90's where a million units would be shipped upon release? Or more? Now to make any $$$, these guys have to do concerts and now that is gone except for Travis Scott and a very slow uptake for others.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Billboard was once a bible. Now it's a mish mash of everything as it tries to stay relevant. And the mish mash is making it not very relevant.

You can find charts for everything these days. Just like you can find any kind of political news for anything you want.

In the end, it hardly matters.

TY appears to be on lots of charts and seems to be having a world wide impact.

Remember the 90's where a million units would be shipped upon release? Or more? Now to make any $$$, these guys have to do concerts and now that is gone except for Travis Scott and a very slow uptake for others.
    Exciting those competitive days of free enterprise when three main trade rags were competing to be the most accurate reporters of popular music. Each week's update was awaited with bated breath. The entire music industry was like the wild west. Creativity soared.

Because no one else provided a direct link. There was a post stating it was #94 on Hot 200 and we have posts providing chart positions for other Billboard album charts such as physical sales so I thought I'd go to the source to verify and actually provide a link to the official top 200 so others can see for themselves.

It's a bit of stunner that the album didn't appear somewhere on the top 200. I know physical sales are way down as well as downloads. Streaming must be where it's at and Diana's audience skews older so streaming won't have much impact on Top 200 performance. Also that chart has a lot of greatest hits albums and older albums [[like Thriller and 21) on it. I'd like to know how Billboard defines an album stream. Does the whole album have to be played, or can one stream one song from an album and it counts in terms of tallying the Hot 200 album chart? Is the formula Billboard uses to make up the chart unique to the USA, or is this formula in place in other places such as the UK, where Thank You did better chartwise its opening week?
    I was just wondering. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Exciting those competitive days of free enterprise when three main trade rags were competing to be the most accurate reporters of popular music. Each week's update was awaited with bated breath. The entire music industry was like the wild west. Creativity soared.
    To me Billboard has kind of compromised it's credibility with this multitude of charts - are we publishing 25 charts of the same important as the Dance Play Chart?

We limit many of them to paid subscribers and there never were lots of those - but I bet there are a lot fewer now.