[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes 60th anniversary and nothing …

With the end of the year in sight it’s clear Universal don’t care .
    not one expanded edition or anything to mark the occasion

what a sadly missed opportunity

Typical right.
    I was hoping for Reflections.
    But we got new Diana and Mary's cd next month

Unfortunately I don't think future anniversaries will yield any better results. I join us all in hoping for a continuation of the expanded releases if-and-when they occur. Since Real Gone has gone ahead with the Mary Wilson set it would be great if they follow up the Christmas set with future expandeds.

Mary was the supreme Supreme; the torch holder of the legacy. It was said she had several big things lined to ti celebrate the milestone. Sadly with her passing, that flame was extinguished.

Diana Ross was the voice of the Diana Ross the Supremes it was her along with beautiful Flo and Mary who w we here backup singers who actually never sang on about sixty per cent of those songs and I’m confident something is on the way Diana Ross Supremes Andandtees reflections

Having blocked the nastys on here it’s much more peaceful

Maybe you need to practice what you preach
    Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Maybe you need to practice what you preach
    BG69, there will always be trolls. Based on previous posts, one can surmise that there is some deficiency. But alas all are welcome to post. And utilize the block feature, lol.

I know nothing new around here lol
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    BG69, there will always be trolls. Based on previous posts, one can surmise that there is some deficiency. But alas all are welcome to post. And utilize the block feature, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think future anniversaries will yield any better results. I join us all in hoping for a continuation of the expanded releases if-and-when they occur. Since Real Gone has gone ahead with the Mary Wilson set it would be great if they follow up the Christmas set with future expandeds.
    If Universal had just continued with the Expanded Editions for the 40th, 45th or 50th anniversaries then it all would have been done by now, even the specialty albums. Then they could have put it all in their rear view mirror and moved on.

What with Mary's passing, anything special that may have been planned for The Supremes' 60th vanished. She was the one who most actively promoted the Supremes legacy on various platforms [[books, interviews, concerts, lectures, etc.).

But the release of the Mary Wilson Anthology is a fine way to celebrate and spotlight the Supreme who took up the torch of the group to help ensure the group as a group would not be forgotten.

And Diana Ross releasing a new album is, in her way, a way to celebrate the 60th Anniversary as it shows that the group's most famous member is still an active singer and recording artist.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    If Universal had just continued with the Expanded Editions for the 40th, 45th or 50th anniversaries then it all would have been done by now, even the specialty albums. Then they could have put it all in their rear view mirror and moved on.
    That's perhaps true - and maybe start issuing [[similarly to the Eddie Kendricks, Marvelettes, David Ruffin sets - or Thelma Houston style of release) other works by Teena Marie, Syreeta, Jermaine Jackson, Commodores, Jose Feliciano, The Originals to list just a few).

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    What with Mary's passing, anything special that may have been planned for The Supremes' 60th vanished. She was the one who most actively promoted the Supremes legacy on various platforms [[books, interviews, concerts, lectures, etc.).

But the release of the Mary Wilson Anthology is a fine way to celebrate and spotlight the Supreme who took up the torch of the group to help ensure the group as a group would not be forgotten.

And Diana Ross releasing a new album is, in her way, a way to celebrate the 60th Anniversary as it shows that the group's most famous member is still an active singer and recording artist.
    I think we're very, very fortunate to get a TWO DISC Mary Wilson Anthology. I never, ever thought it would come to fruition. The same with FUNNY GIRL. Did you ever think we'd get a physical copy?

I celebrate the small victories and follow Mary's wisdom: keep dreaming. Maybe we will see REFLECTIONS someday?

Mary's death in no way means that Supremes' re-issues will cease. They may not happen for the 60th Anniversary, but we still have Andy Skurow, George Solomon, Harry Weinger and Joe Marchese in our corner, and if what she posted at her mom's demise is true, Mary's daughter, Turkessa.
    The [likely young] bean counters have been raised on digital & streaming, from one perspective the easy money. They appear to have greater control of the release schedule. But Andy, George & Harry continue to vehemently push for both digital & physical product, to meet the wishes of die-hard fans like us. And for that I thank them.

For me as well, AY!

I am amazed and extremely grateful for all that the producers/archivists have done in getting out these special editions of the Supremes' albums. There are other high caliber Motown artists from that era who have not even had a small fraction of their Motown work put into Expanded or Special editions.
    Making snarky remarks implying that the producers of these projects don't care for us most surely is taking the 'low road'.
    And...what in the world are we going to do with the Motown vaults completely dry up? Heaven forbid the trauma this will cause.

It's sad. I know if Mary was still here, it'd be a different story.

I said in another thread, it'd be nice if Diana would embrace that part of her life more. She can't use the excuse that she passed the torch over to Mary anymore.

Some of these nut cases on here are pushing me away from the forum though.

I may be a nasty, but your percentage, I believe, is incorrect. I’m guessing Mary and Flo did about 90% of the tracks through Flo’s departure.

After, I would guess Mary and Cindy did about 20-40%.

not that it matters to me one way or the other, I just find the topic interesting. A Supremes record is anything Motown says is a Supremes record. It doesn’t need Ross, Mary, Flo or anyone specific to technically qualify.

Your not nasty at all saying that the let’s not forget the Andantes the name of the group should of been called Diana Ross Andandtes Supremes , Beautiful Florence and the amazing Mary and our girl Cindy

Did I make a snarky comment ? Never said the producers don’t care….

to miss the 60th anniversary is a travesty .

To me Drats are the highest calibre act of Motown

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Did I make a snarky comment ? Never said the producers don’t care….

to miss the 60th anniversary is a travesty .

To me Drats are the highest calibre act of Motown
    They will always be the Ultimate

i am hoping , with the success of Dianas new album it may spark interest in the group and the expanded editions.
    not sure why Baby Its Me and Funny Girl have not made it to cd as of yet, but you would think since a third party is releasing them, they would get the green light, lets hope 2022 they will.
    really we are only a few albums away from completing the Supremes with Reflections, love Child ,Cream of the Crop. and Dianas solo Ross in which i heard at least 4 tracks were discovered.
    the unforunate side is we all are getting older buthow cool to have Marys cd released on my b day.
    maybe George can explain why some have not been issued on cd.i recall Universal does not want to but if Real Gone is....whats the problem. confusing

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i am hoping , with the success of Dianas new album it may spark interest in the group and the expanded editions.
    not sure why Baby Its Me and Funny Girl have not made it to cd as of yet, but you would think since a third party is releasing them, they would get the green light, lets hope 2022 they will.
    really we are only a few albums away from completing the Supremes with Reflections, love Child ,Cream of the Crop. and Dianas solo Ross in which i heard at least 4 tracks were discovered.
    the unforunate side is we all are getting older buthow cool to have Marys cd released on my b day.
    maybe George can explain why some have not been issued on cd.i recall Universal does not want to but if Real Gone is....whats the problem. confusing
    Real Gone released Funny Girl on CD but it is out of stock
    https://shop.realgonemusic.com/produ...3727dbac&_ss=r

It's still available on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=supremes+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    You forgot "Let The Sunshine In" for the DRATS albums still left to be given the expanded edition treatment. And, as johnjeb pointed out, "Funny Girl: Expanded Edition" made it to CD already on September 25, 2020.

While I would welcome the release of a "Diana Ross [1970]" 're-expanded edition' [as what came out in 2002 was already expanded by 8 tracks], I would rather see Universal complete the expanded editions of The Supremes albums from the 1960s before tackling any other artists--including Ross. Universal started a series that was extremely well done and... then they basically stopped it. IMO, unlike when a company might decide to stop a compilation series [of, for example, CDs full of tracks by various artists--see the Ace series, "Where The Girls Are" that finally ended after years at Volume 10], stopping a series of expanded albums part-way through the catalog becomes a head-scratcher.

i've always wondered though what's really left from the later 60s. between 25th Anniv, Never Before Released Master, the various Anthology sets, L&F, I wonder if there's really a lot left. Reflections, LC, Sunshine and Cream, at least to my knowledge, were not conceived as projects. Like Symphony was or R&H. and even A Go Go was sort of planned out as a dance album, even if that's a rather loose concept.

by the time the group became DRATS, Berry was really focusing on establishing Diana as a versatile entertainer. he was much less interested in maintaining their Supremacy on the charts, as evidenced by the lower quality releases and songs that just didn't take with the public. the big international tours, the FG project, TCB, Tarzan, endorsing Hubert Humphrey, her solo gigs on Like Hep and Laugh In, etc.

we know that they won't release any tunes that are especially incomplete, don't sound really good, out of tune or have problems, etc. Berry and Diana might have done a lot of experimentation in the studio but if the results aren't strong, they might have been erased back then or might be just not considered today.

so there might not be much to work with, in terms of EE sets for these. But perhaps enough for another volume of L&F