[REMOVE ADS]

Tina Turner Sues German Tribute Act for Using Her Likeness

In the wake of Tina's $50M licensing deal comes this. "Show Some Respect," indeed. Thoughts?

https://newsone.com/4245869/tina-tur...-her-likeness/

Well. It's really a matter for the courts, I guess. My initial thought is that with Tina having sold her legacy it would be the company that bought the legacy to initiate a lawsuit. I would think there would be matters of song copyrights as well as the likeness situation. And, there's the official Tina musical that may feel its business impacted by this performance.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    In the wake of Tina's $50M licensing deal comes this. "Show Some Respect," indeed. Thoughts?

https://newsone.com/4245869/tina-tur...-her-likeness/
    Wow! I agree with PNH is that it's a matter for the courts to decide.

Yeah, I find it odd as well that Tina herself is involved at all, given her agreement.

Over many years there have been hundreds of drag queens portraying Tina.

I tend to wonder if this has more to do with the fact that the rights holders are not happy about this unofficial stage play about Tina and the fact that it would be competing with Tina's official musical, which has been on stages in the UK and Europe. I think this was a case of them finding whatever legal grounds they could to put a stop to this unofficial show.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I tend to wonder if this has more to do with the fact that the rights holders are not happy about this unofficial stage play about Tina and the fact that it would be competing with Tina's official musical, which has been on stages in the UK and Europe. I think this was a case of them finding whatever legal grounds they could to put a stop to this unofficial show.
    That's my guess, Carlo - a one-two punch of copyright infringement now that Tina's likeness has been copyrighted and the competition with the official 'Tina - The Musical'. I think the tribute show is probably well-meaning, but ...

It looks like the company putting on the tribute show is being sued - not the performer.

Tina may be under contractual obligation to the group she got all the money from to allow them to pursue these suits in her name. It’s hard for me to imagine she cares that much.

I believe it’s going to be difficult to lock down and stop acts that are legitimately selling themselves as Tribute Acts. As a judge said, if you are stupid enough to confuse 80 year old Tina with a 30 year old tribute artist, well then, that is not something the law will protect.

But who knows

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It looks like the company putting on the tribute show is being sued - not the performer.

Tina may be under contractual obligation to the group she got all the money from to allow them to pursue these suits in her name. It’s hard for me to imagine she cares that much.

I believe it’s going to be difficult to lock down and stop acts that are legitimately selling themselves as Tribute Acts. As a judge said, if you are stupid enough to confuse 80 year old Tina with a 30 year old tribute artist, well then, that is not something the law will protect.

But who knows
    Interesting take, JRob. I'd agree that the suit is most likely filed 'in her name'.