heres the recently published Rolling Stone "Best " songs list and Supremes & Diana's inclusion -

#499 The Supremes "Baby Love"

"Diana Ross wasnt the strongest vocalist in the Supremes,But as the Motown production discovered,When she sang in a lower register,her voice worked its sultry magic. Berry Gordy instructed Holland Dozier Holland songwriting team to come up with something that replicated "Where Did Our Love Go",The Supremes first number one single, He thought the result wasnt catchy enough and sent the group back into the studio.The result: the smoky "Ooooh" at the start,"Baby Love" went to number one to,The first time a Motown group had topped the charts twice.

#385 Diana Ross "Im Coming Out"

While working on the album that would become "diana",guitarist-producer-writer Nile Rodgers said,"I went out to this [[trans) club one night,the Gilded Grape,Im at the urinal,and there are three or four Diana Rosses around me,The Next day I told Bernard [[Edwards his partner) "Man you wont believe what happened last night" he said,"Great lets write that".When Ross asked the producers if the song was as pro-gay as it sounded,Rodgers said, "We denied it".

#254 The Supremes "Stop ! In The Name Of Love "

Lamont Dozier of Motown's famed Holland Dozier Holland songwriting team came up with the idea for "Stop" after his girlfriend at the time caught him cheating at a motel: "This girl was very headstrong" he recalled "So we got into an argument. She started swinging,missed me,hit the floor.And I laughed and said "Please stop! stop in the name of love." The silliness of the moment stopped the fight,And immediately struck Dozier as song material,And after fixing it to a killer Brian holland hook,It became the Supremes fourth of five straight number ones.

#234 The Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin On"

"Get out of my life,Why dont ya,baby?" is one of the nicest,nastiest ways recorded in music to tell an ex-lover to scram.HDH intended "You Keep me" to be a rock song[[check out the searing S.O.S guitar intro),but it turned into so much more :The angst of rockis married with the angelic trills of pop,The rhythm of soul,And the urgency of disco 10 years before disco existed. When "You Keep me' was released,Seven Supremes songs had seen the top of the pop chart.This became their eighth and one of their most memorable.

thoughts ?