[REMOVE ADS]

Baby I'm For Real drums

The Originals' fabulous ballad has been a long-time favourite. I has their Green Grow The Lilacs album in stereo, and spent years listening to that version. Subsequently I bought several CDs with the track on, which I think were all stereo.
    Recently I bought the UK Tamla Motown God Bless Whoever Sent you 45 maxi single, with has I Like Your Style and Baby I'm For Real in mono.
    I'm thinking it's the first time I've heard it in mono, and as well as some of the background vocals vanishing literally into the background, the snare drum sounds much sharper, more pronounced.
    So were the drums brought more up front for the single release? Am I hearing things? Someone with better ears may know
    Last edited by soulwally; 11-09-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Is it this version?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Is it this version?

Technically the mono single Soul S 35066 A is in fact from a stereo mix and was probably folded for the 45 issue and from what I can see all US 45's are from the same mix. From what I can tell there are three mono mixes in the vaults and a 'much later' stereo mix but there's no telling which has been used on the maxi single you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Technically the mono single Soul S 35066 A is in fact from a stereo mix and was probably folded for the 45 issue and from what I can see all US 45's are from the same mix. From what I can tell there are three mono mixes in the vaults and a 'much later' stereo mix but there's no telling which has been used on the maxi single you are talking about.
    I've had a listen to the Soul S 35066 version. My maxi single version has the opening 'Ooo wee... [[presumably CP) mixed way in the background. I've also listened to the stereo version on the Very Best of.... CD. On my mono copy I'm hearing the drums come from both speakers, while on the CD from just the right hand channel. It's probably this that makes the drums sound different to me, having been so used to the stereo version on my LP