[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Your most probably right Carlo, and think it’s just a question of fans wanting the album to do well and becoming a little frustrated by lack of promotion. It’s only natural. I really don’t think anyone feels she has something to prove.
    With new Covid variants popping up all the time, i’m becoming less confident of the UK tour ever taking place. Hope I’m wrong.
    I agree, Ollie. We as her fans want her album to do well. I'm speaking more to the point that she doesn't need to do promo if she doesn't want to.

I also feel the same as you. I feel less confident that next summer's shows will go ahead...especially Glastonbury. For the sake of the UK fans, I hope I am wrong. We must keep a bit of hope and optimism.

I am a fan of a group that has been touring arenas in the UK for the past month, and one of the five members contracted covid, mid way through the tour. They were able to continue the tour without her. She is now out of her 10 day isolation and has rejoined the tour, which ends in a few days, but now a different member of the group tested positive and is out for the remainder of the shows. They have been super careful with maintaining their own bubble with only their crew, and travelling mostly with their own bus, but covid has sadly still proven to be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I wonder if she's worried the media will ask her questions about Mary's passing. She hated talking about Flo's death in interviews and the very few times it happened, it was clear she was uneasy about it. Mary's death was just not too long ago so I'm sure they'd be inclined to ask her about it.
    I don't think that has any bearing on Diana's promotion for THANK YOU. If she doesn't want to talk Mary, Supremes, or any other subject, I'm sure she can make that clear before an interview.

I gather she just doesn't want to do much promotion for THANK YOU, at least not now. Maybe next year she'll change her mind if tour dates are finalized. But by then, I don't know how much difference it will make.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I agree with those who wrote that THANK YOU should have been released months back when the news first broke about it. There was a lot of attention in the press and on some of the morning tv shows. Perhaps if it had been released then more buyers aside from the diehards would have taken an interest.

Clive Davis made the same mistake with Aretha's last album. She was on tv shows singing ROLLING IN THE DEEP and doing various listening dates. But they held off releasing the album for a month or two. It debuted in the Top 20 but was off the chart entirely within weeks.
    Last edited by reese; 11-28-2021 at 03:22 PM.

With new Covid variants popping up all the time, i’m becoming less confident of the UK tour ever taking place. Hope I’m wrong.
    Sadly my gut feeling which I've had for some time now is that the tour will NOT go ahead.

Sales are now increasing towards Christmas - if the album had been released any later it wouldn't have done "relatively" as well i.e. on the same figures made the top 10 in the UK.

Of course no promotion didn't help it but why would anyone think it was going to be a big hit?

The little success it did have was down to the support of our National Radio 2 Station which supported the first two singles from Thank You.

As I've said before while Diana has had some big albums generally her studio albums haven't done that well in the UK.

Her last big seller was Force some 30 years ago - I Love You did terribly - you're talking about the guts of 20 years since she was in the public eye here.

Most of the younger fans hard as it may seem for us to understand hardly know who Diana is!

She may have had a few monster hits in the US Dance Chart in the past few years but very few people in the UK would look at you anything but blankly if you mentioned the name Eric Kupper to them.

The fact is that with Streaming dominating music "sales", artists of Diana's ilk find it impossible to have a chart hit unless they can team up for a duet with one of today's big stars.

None of the tracks stood a chance of charting but Decca would have known that from the start.

I wouldn't say it was by any means one of Diana's best albums but it's a solid effort imo worth while buying

We all have our own favourites too - I think the first two singles were among the top 3 or 4 songs on the album but whereas Ollie for example raves about Tomorrow I don't get it all.

There was no way this album was going to sell buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think that has any bearing on Diana's promotion for THANK YOU. If she doesn't want to talk Mary, Supremes, or any other subject, I'm sure she can make that clear before an interview.

I gather she just doesn't want to do much promotion for THANK YOU, at least not now. Maybe next year she'll change her mind if tour dates are finalized. But by then, I don't know how much difference it will make.
    There's kind of a great big elephant in the room that seems to be getting tip-toed around .
    I think any interviewer worth a grain of salt, and I realize that's a rare thing these days, would want to press her on why this new album after waiting forty-four or so years , now, so soon after Mary's death, this one .... total coincidence? , or is there some kind of connection ?? Surely she can handle answering that .
    Also. " Diana, Your album is focused on being thankful and grateful yet there's nary a reference to Motown ......which surely you owe a mountain of gratitude to?"

Maybe like at the RCA meeting Bayoumotownman just referenced Diana would've just stormed out ......well that in of itself would've given her a headline ....

These fluff pieces I've seen referenced here so far just ain't working ....buncha ho hum ....

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Most of the younger fans hard as it may seem for us to understand hardly know who Diana is!

She may have had a few monster hits in the US Dance Chart in the past few years but very few people in the UK would look at you anything but blankly if you mentioned the name Eric Kupper to them.

The fact is that with Streaming dominating music "sales", artists of Diana's ilk find it impossible to have a chart hit unless they can team up for a duet with one of today's big stars.

None of the tracks stood a chance of charting but Decca would have known that from the start.

It’s interesting that Streisand, who is two years older then Diana enjoyed huge success with her last studio album of new songs. #12 USA and #6 UK.

It’s interesting that Streisand, who is two years older then Diana enjoyed huge success with her last studio album of new songs. #12 USA and #6 UK.
    There's a big difference between the single and album charts.

Streisand wouldn't make the UK Top 100 Singles Chart now.

Diana has been primarily a singles artist in the UK while her studio albums have performed erratically in the UK whereas since the 1980's Barbra has had a string of successful albums.

She has had 4 or 5 Gold or Platinum albums in the new Millennium, interestingly though her last one has only been certified Silver, a sign of the decreasing album market.

There's a big difference between the single and album charts.

Streisand wouldn't make the UK Top 100 Singles Chart now.

Diana has been primarily a singles artist in the UK while her studio albums have performed erratically in the UK whereas since the 1980's Barbra has had a string of successful albums.

She has had 4 or 5 Gold or Platinum albums in the new Millennium, interestingly though her last one has only been certified Silver, a sign of the decreasing album market.
    True, Streisand was never a singles artist. Her albums though have sold consistently well for a very long time.

interestingly though her last one has only been certified Silver, a sign of the decreasing album market.
    Or a sign that her Boomer fans don't appreciate Streisand getting political.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    There's kind of a great big elephant in the room that seems to be getting tip-toed around .
    I think any interviewer worth a grain of salt, and I realize that's a rare thing these days, would want to press her on why this new album after waiting forty-four or so years , now, so soon after Mary's death, this one .... total coincidence? , or is there some kind of connection ?? Surely she can handle answering that .
    This is Diana's first new album in 15 years, not 44 years. Also, she was talking about working on her new album during the summer of 2019, when Mary was still alive...so there is no connection between Diana releasing a new album and Mary's passing.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Or a sign that her Boomer fans don't appreciate Streisand getting political.
    Streisand has been political since the late 60s. Only the most idiotic of her fans would be unaware of her political stances and activism. More likely her album sales are going down because a good number of her long time fans are dead, or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is Diana's first new album in 15 years, not 44 years. Also, she was talking about working on her new album during the summer of 2019, when Mary was still alive...so there is no connection between Diana releasing a new album and Mary's passing.
    That one's quite a stretch, isn't it, Carlo?! They do try. I hope you are loving Thank You as much as I am. The first 3 cuts alone make it an instant classic for me!

Sadly my gut feeling which I've had for some time now is that the tour will NOT go ahead.

Sales are now increasing towards Christmas - if the album had been released any later it wouldn't have done "relatively" as well i.e. on the same figures made the top 10 in the UK.

Of course no promotion didn't help it but why would anyone think it was going to be a big hit?

The little success it did have was down to the support of our National Radio 2 Station which supported the first two singles from Thank You.

As I've said before while Diana has had some big albums generally her studio albums haven't done that well in the UK.

Her last big seller was Force some 30 years ago - I Love You did terribly - you're talking about the guts of 20 years since she was in the public eye here.

I wouldn't say it was by any means one of Diana's best albums but it's a solid effort imo worth while buying

We all have our own favourites too - I think the first two singles were among the top 3 or 4 songs on the album but whereas Ollie for example raves about Tomorrow I don't get it all.

All, sadly, quite true, Florence. Here in the states there is virtually no terrestrial or subscription radio station that would add anything from the lp to their play lists: even the 'lite' stations only play oldies. My thought is that the best hope would have been for one of the cuts to be featured on a popular tv series. I'm happy to have the lp and truly love it!

This is Diana's first new album in 15 years, not 44 years.
    gosh it sure seems like 44 years ...

Also, she was talking about working on her new album during the summer of 2019, when Mary was still alive...so there is no connection between Diana releasing a new album and Mary's passing.
    sadly that appears to be the case. and when/if doing an interview is ever asked about it, I'd advise her to finesse that answer ....

I agree, Ollie. We as her fans want her album to do well. I'm speaking more to the point that she doesn't need to do promo if she doesn't want to.

I also feel the same as you. I feel less confident that next summer's shows will go ahead...especially Glastonbury. For the sake of the UK fans, I hope I am wrong. We must keep a bit of hope and optimism.

I am a fan of a group that has been touring arenas in the UK for the past month, and one of the five members contracted covid, mid way through the tour. They were able to continue the tour without her. She is now out of her 10 day isolation and has rejoined the tour, which ends in a few days, but now a different member of the group tested positive and is out for the remainder of the shows. They have been super careful with maintaining their own bubble with only their crew, and travelling mostly with their own bus, but covid has sadly still proven to be a challenge.
    Steps have now postponed the last shows of the tour until next summer, after even more people involved in the tour got Covid.

I don´t think anything is guaranteed these days when it comes to touring so I decided not to re-purchase tickets to see Diana next year. Maybe I can get tickets in the spring, if things are looking better then - and if the shows will indeed happen.

#66 on first chart for this week

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    All, sadly, quite true, Florence. Here in the states there is virtually no terrestrial or subscription radio station that would add anything from the lp to their play lists: even the 'lite' stations only play oldies. My thought is that the best hope would have been for one of the cuts to be featured on a popular tv series. I'm happy to have the lp and truly love it!
    And at this time of year many of the Lite stations in the US have switched over to an all holiday/Christmas music playlist.

Though the title song "Thank You" could work on a holiday format given the nature of the song and this being the season of "giving" and would stand out amongst all the songs about Santa, mangers and Christmas trees and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    That one's quite a stretch, isn't it, Carlo?! They do try. I hope you are loving Thank You as much as I am. The first 3 cuts alone make it an instant classic for me!
    Agreed, Peace! We will give that one an 'A' for effort. Lol.

So glad to hear that you're enjoying her new album as much as I am! I have been playing it almost everyday since it came out. I'm now considering getting the cassette version as well...it just looks so darn cute! And I still have a working cassette stereo deck and cassette boom box to play it on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Steps have now postponed the last shows of the tour until next summer, after even more people involved in the tour got Covid.

I don´t think anything is guaranteed these days when it comes to touring so I decided not to re-purchase tickets to see Diana next year. Maybe I can get tickets in the spring, if things are looking better then - and if the shows will indeed happen.
    I'm impressed that you knew I was writing about Steps, even though I didn't mention them by name They are one of my favourite groups and we had every intention of travelling to see them on tour this year, but could not take the risk with the pandemic still ongoing. Like you said, it is too unpredictable and risky these days. I also saw that same news this morning in regards to the postponement of the final two dates of their tour, due to their crew's covid outbreak.

I'm impressed that you knew I was writing about Steps, even though I didn't mention them by name They are one of my favourite groups and we had every intention of travelling to see them on tour this year, but could not take the risk with the pandemic still ongoing. Like you said, it is too unpredictable and risky these days. I also saw that same news this morning in regards to the postponement of the final two dates of their tour, due to their crew's covid outbreak.
    I am also a big Steps fan But I have to say, now with that latest Covid variant [[and early news about the possibility of the vaccine having to be modified to work against it) it is looking less and less like I will be seeing Diana next summer - if indeed the shows happen.

Down to 81 this week.

#35 on Sales only Chart

10 copies at my local CD store, the only one in town! And 10 copies of Wonderful Christmas Time. But I'm learning to stream. Don't have Thank You yet - but I do have Wonderful Christmas Time.

I'm impressed that you knew I was writing about Steps, even though I didn't mention them by name They are one of my favourite groups...
    Carlo, along with djessie, you can add my name to the seemingly-growing list of Steps fans. A year or two ago, I discovered Stock, Aitken, Waterman [[aka SAW). Being the completist that I am, I invested heavily in CDs by ALL of their artists including Steps. I couldn't believe how beautiful and well-crafted their songs are -- for me, every bit as satisfying as ABBA. It's just a shame they haven't caught on here in the U.S.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-03-2021 at 02:55 PM.

I wonder how many CD sales it would take to launch Diana's "Thank You" CD into the U.S. or UK Top 10.

Hanging in there at #84 in first UK mid-week chart

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I wonder how many CD sales it would take to launch Diana's "Thank You" CD into the U.S. or UK Top 10.
    Not very many - I can't give you the quote but I think a couple thousand got you on the Billboard 200 at one time - which is why they had to change it all or lose all relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Not very many - I can't give you the quote but I think a couple thousand got you on the Billboard 200 at one time - which is why they had to change it all or lose all relevance.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. But it makes perfect sense to protect the relevance. Otherwise, anybody could 'claim' to have a hit record.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Carlo, along with djessie, you can add my name to the seemingly-growing list of Steps fans. A year or two ago, I discovered Stock, Aitken, Waterman [[aka SAW). Being the completist that I am, I invested heavily in CDs by ALL of their artists including Steps. I couldn't believe how beautiful and well-crafted their songs are -- for me, every bit as satisfying as ABBA. It's just a shame they haven't caught on here in the U.S.
    Wow, nice to see that you're also a Steps fan, Philles/Motown Gary! Totally agree with you. I wish they would have caught on in North America. The albums that they have released in the last several years are even more amazing in comparison to their best known recordings from the 90s, imo. I just got their 3 CD remix collection last week, which was the last thing I needed to complete my Steps music collection. It is also a great collection of music!

Wow, nice to see that you're also a Steps fan, Philles/Motown Gary! Totally agree with you. I wish they would have caught on in North America. The albums that they have released in the last several years are even more amazing in comparison to their best known recordings from the 90s, imo. I just got their 3 CD remix collection last week, which was the last thing I needed to complete my Steps music collection. It is also a great collection of music!
    Carlo, I had no idea that Steps have a new 3-CD Remix collection. I tried to check it out on Amazon and eBay, but to no avail. What is the official title of the set?

Philles/Motown Gary, the 3 CD set was released in 2016 and it is called, "Stomp All Night: The Remix Anthology". It is already out of print but there still seems to be some new copies for sale on eBay. I highly recommend it. Remixes are usually hit and miss for me, but this is a solid collection.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8541...emix-Anthology

Philles/Motown Gary, the 3 CD set was released in 2016 and it is called, "Stomp All Night: The Remix Anthology". It is already out of print but there still seems to be some new copies for sale on eBay. I highly recommend it. Remixes are usually hit and miss for me, but this is a solid collection.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8541...emix-Anthology
    Thanks, Carlo! When it comes to SAW, more often than not, I tend to prefer the album version of their hits over the remixed versions.

Have to confess Steps are a guilty pleasure of mine.

I don't think there are too many female 50-odd hetero Steps fans about!

I do prefer their late 90s/ early 00s output but their comeback albums have been pretty good although I'm not so keen on their latest one.

Just to make this Diana related! - their version of Chain Reaction can't touch Diana's.

Have to confess Steps are a guilty pleasure of mine.

I don't think there are too many female 50-odd hetero Steps fans about!

I do prefer their late 90s/ early 00s output but their comeback albums have been pretty good although I'm not so keen on their latest one.

Just to make this Diana related! - their version of Chain Reaction can't touch Diana's.
    Never expected to find so many Steps fans here on Soulful Detroit Yes, I agree that Diana's original version of Chain Reaction cannot be topped.

Never expected to find so many Steps fans here on Soulful Detroit Yes, I agree that Diana's original version of Chain Reaction cannot be topped.
    Their cover of Tragedy [[Bee Gees) was fantastic but I much prefer the original versions of Chain Reaction and Better The Devil You Know [[Kylie Minogue).

For me, their last three albums [[especially Tears On The Dancefloor) have been better than anything they released previously. I bought their whole catalog after Tears... and even own signed copies of their last two CDs.

I’ve always considered Steps as being pretty dire. Cheap sounding karaoke versions of other people’s songs, complete with cheesy dance routines that would likely appeal to very young kids. Plastic pop at it’s worst.
    This is of course only my personal opinion, and i really don’t mean to offend anyone. In fact I’m happy if others reap pleasure from their music.

Diana hanging on at #96 on UK album chart.

#40 on Sales only

#40 on Sales only
    Now you see it, now you don’t.

The album did very well Considering there was a little promotion or appearances by Diana or she had no Netflix program to boost sales the album is a masterpiece like it or not I would love it

#40 on Sales only
    Thanks, Florence. So interesting that based only on sales the TY album is doing ok. The rest of the add-in's that are calculated for the album chart [[streaming, screaming, twitting, gurgling, etc ) are not part of the lives of fans Diana's age.

Gone from the midweek chart. 5 weeks in total was better than I expected considering the almost total lack of promotion!

it should make it through Christmas....

If her 2022 tour and Glastonbury appearance happen, maybe Thank you will reappear on the charts next summer?

More likely one of her "Greatest Hits" albums or the rumoured Diana Ross & The London Symphony Orchestra.

TBH I think it very unlikely the tour will ever take place.

What a pity Glastonbury 2014 came so close to happening

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Also. " Diana, Your album is focused on being thankful and grateful yet there's nary a reference to Motown ......which surely you owe a mountain of gratitude to?"

Maybe like at the RCA meeting Bayoumotownman just referenced Diana would've just stormed out ......well that in of itself would've given her a headline ....

These fluff pieces I've seen referenced here so far just ain't working ....buncha ho hum ....
    I don’t understand what kind of connection you’re inferring. I can’t think of any possible connection, but I don’t understand a lot of things these days.

Diana hangs on at #97 in UK Albums chart.

#44 on Sales and #42 om Physical sales

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t understand what kind of connection you’re inferring. I can’t think of any possible connection, but I don’t understand a lot of things these days.
    MM, the connection you're having trouble finding is the same one I'm having. And that's the pity of it.

Every song from this album could be remixed with techno vibes and I would love the album twice as much. I would use the original mix as a lovely nightcap. Ha! Ha!

Deleted post ….
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-22-2021 at 11:28 PM.