[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diana opens at a stunning #6 in UK Albums Chart

In the first midweek albums chart Thank You has crashed in at #6 which is a great result for Diana as historically she was more a singles artist in the UK.

Of course, the album is frontloaded and as streaming becomes more of a factor as the week goes on the album will probably fall.

Be nice to think it could hold on to a top 10 placing and it is already dropping on iTunes and Amazon but it should certainly make the top 20.

Promising for Diana.

However, the ABBA album 'Voyage' [[currently #1 in the midweek charts) has apparently sold more than the rest of the top 40 put together.

You beat me to the punch. 'Thank You' should still be in the Top 20 when the final chart is revealed on Friday. TBH I am very surprised but delighted.

That's great news for Diana and fans! If only the U.S. fans would follow suit.

WOOWWWW. Diana so deserves it. And the album so deserves it too.

I'm in love with all the songs. What a beautiful collection of songs. What a voice she still have!

I guess I should buy one, hey?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I guess I should buy one, hey?
    I ordered Dianas CD today but wont be ordering the ABBA CD. Ive herad many many snippets and im not impressed. That said ABBA Grestest hits is a winner winner chicken dinner on my car CD player.

I hate to say it but more than likely it will not here in the states
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That's great news for Diana and fans! If only the U.S. fans would follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I hate to say it but more than likely it will not here in the states
    Yeah, I hate to admit it, but you may very well be right. I doubt if it will get much airplay here in the U.S. I wonder how "If The World Just Danced" got to #1 in the UK? Did it get heavy rotation on a pop radio station?

One thing I'll say about Diana's fans here in the U.S. is that they may not spend big bucks on Diana's CD's, and they may not even be aware of her latest releases -- but they DO support Diana at her concerts. Last year [[or it may have been a year or two before, I forget which), I remember hearing that tickets for a Diana Ross concert in either Virginia or West VA sold out in 3 hours! Man, I was pleasantly shocked to learn that, and it did my heart good to hear it!

"If The World Just Danced" failed to chart in the UK Top 100 Singles and that's what counts!

I wonder how "If The World Just Danced" got to #1 in the UK?
    It didn't, so wonder no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I ordered Dianas CD today but wont be ordering the ABBA CD. Ive herad many many snippets and im not impressed. That said ABBA Grestest hits is a winner winner chicken dinner on my car CD player.
    Your a brave woman Roberta. It’s a long way from “Chiquitita” to “If The World Just Danced”.
    I have a long journey today, so intend to give Diana’s new cd a spin in the car. That’s the real litmus test as far as I’m concerned.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-09-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    In the first midweek albums chart Thank You has crashed in at #6 which is a great result for Diana as historically she was more a singles artist in the UK.

Of course, the album is frontloaded and as streaming becomes more of a factor as the week goes on the album will probably fall.

Be nice to think it could hold on to a top 10 placing and it is already dropping on iTunes and Amazon but it should certainly make the top 20.
    That's great to hear, Florence! So there is a bit of a market in the UK for a Diana lp. A top 20 weekly chart entry would be nice to see, but for us true fans what matters is that the lady has created perhaps the most personal album of her career, it's excellent, and the fans are loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    It didn't, so wonder no more.
    You're right -- not #1 [[yet!), but #6 and then #3. But, still, the point remains, how did it manage to get so high on the UK charts? Did it get heavy radio play?

You're right -- not #1 [[yet!), but #6 and then #3. But, still, the point remains, how did it manage to get so high on the UK charts? Did it get heavy radio play?

Hi Phillis, If The World Just Danced hit #1 on a BBC's radio playlist, not on the Official UK Singles Chart.

It was a great feat and Diana's two first lead singles got great airplay in some of BBC's radio stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Hi Phillis, If The World Just Danced hit #1 on a BBC's radio playlist, not on the Official UK Singles Chart.

It was a great feat and Diana's two first lead singles got great airplay in some of BBC's radio stations.
    Thanks for clearing that up, Nitro. It's always great to hear that good things are still happening for Diana. Heaven knows, she works her butt off to achieve it. Now, if the U.S. would just wake up and recognize it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post

Nice to hear; Diana's new music has certainly reached British listeners!

Tonight I saw an ad on t.v [[here in the U.K) for the new album and was surprised to hear Diana personally promoting it. I can't remember her ever doing that before. And billboards on London Underground too. It's so great to see all the promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Tonight I saw an ad on t.v [[here in the U.K) for the new album and was surprised to hear Diana personally promoting it. I can't remember her ever doing that before. And billboards on London Underground too. It's so great to see all the promotion.
    Thanks for the good news, LakeD! This keeps gettin' better all the time!

Thank You is officially #7 in this week's UK Top 100 Albums Chart.

At one stage it had clawed it's way to #5 but sales related streaming caused it to fall back - it is #5 on the sales only chart.

In this era of depressed sales it sold 7,673.

Obviously there's plenty to discuss in this figure but that can be done later, let's just celebrate the fact that at 77 Diana has another top 10 UK album.

Sadly and although it may seem strange to us here the majority of people in their 40s and especially younger probably will hardly have heard of her!

Congrats Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Thank You is officially #7 in this week's UK Top 100 Albums Chart.

At one stage it had clawed it's way to #5 but sales related streaming caused it to fall back - it is #5 on the sales only chart.

In this era of depressed sales it sold 7,673.

Obviously there's plenty to discuss in this figure but that can be done later, let's just celebrate the fact that at 77 Diana has another top 10 UK album.

Sadly and although it may seem strange to us here the majority of people in their 40s and especially younger probably will hardly have heard of her!

Congrats Diana.
    Florence, let's not forget that Diana has a whole new legion of young fans -- the same ones who helped to push her Eric Kupper dance remixes to #1 on the Dance charts over the past 3 years. [["Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[2018); "I'm Coming Out"/"Upside Down" [[2018); "The Boss" [[2019); and "Love Hangover" [[2020).

Where to go boss you did it and a big thank you

Florence, let's not forget that Diana has a whole new legion of young fans -- the same ones who helped to push her Eric Kupper dance remixes to #1 on the Dance charts over the past 3 years. [["Ain't No Mountain High Enough" [[2018); "I'm Coming Out"/"Upside Down" [[2018); "The Boss" [[2019); and "Love Hangover" [[2020).
    Unfortunately they don’t seem to be falling over themselves to support the new album. Perhaps Kupper was where it began, and where it ends for these young folk.

Chart positions from a Facebook post:

11.12.2021 #THANKYOU has debuted in the top 10 on several U.K. Official charts! ������

#5 U.K. Official Albums Sales Chart Top 100
    #5 U.K. Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
    #6 U.K. Official Album Downloads Top 100
    #6 U.K. Official Albums Chart Update Top 100
    #6 Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100
    #7 U.K. Official Albums Chart Top 100
    #10 U.K. Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

It's also debuted on the charts in other countries as well!

#33 German Albums [[Offizielle Top 100)
    #42 Dutch Albums Charts [[Album Top 100)
    #70 Japanese Albums [[Oricon)
    #97 Japanese Hot Albums [[Billboard Japan)

For context .. ABBA sold 240,000 copies of their new album, 90% on physical format AND those sales were more than the whole top 40 combined in uk

11.12.2021 #THANKYOU has debuted in the top 10 on several U.K. Official charts! ������

Any word on how it faired on US and Canada charts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Unfortunately they don’t seem to be falling over themselves to support the new album. Perhaps Kupper was where it began, and where it ends for these young folk.
    Dance club play chart isn't based on sales, or streaming, or downloads. It's an old fashioned chart in that the DJs in some clubs send in a weekly report of what they're playing. That chart has been suspended since end of March 2020 due to pandemic. Love Hangover remix was the last song to be #1 on that chart before lockdown.

Lovely and well-deserved news. May I personally request that you, Mr. JRob, scootch over to the 'Tina Turner Sues' thread and give us your thoughts?

Hasn’t charted in the US or Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Any word on how it faired on US and Canada charts?

Hasn’t charted in the US or Canada.
    Being her homeland that’s sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    For context .. ABBA sold 240,000 copies of their new album, 90% on physical format AND those sales were more than the whole top 40 combined in uk
    “WOW” that’s just incredible. It appears the public never fell out of love with this historically enduring group.

What a beautiful beautiful album the more I play it the more I love it , the songs are much better than Abbas in my opinion , beautiful love in heaven

“WOW” that’s just incredible. It appears the public never fell out of love with this historically enduring group.
    Well I never was in love with them! Lol. And still don’t care for their music.

Being her homeland that’s sad news.
    I was told the USA Billboard charts don’t come out until Monday. So we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    True - they aren’t out yet

The latest charts are for this week so we will see.

That is too early, it will be on the next one.

I hope that isn't the case, Ollie.

I expect the album to plummet out of the top ten next week - possibly out of the top 100. This seems to be the case with many albums by legacy performers - a big first week and then next to nothing.

Well I never was in love with them! Lol. And still don’t care for their music.
    I thought at the very least everyone loved “Dancing Queen”.
    Abba are iconic, and clearly appeal to all generations as their massive, through the roof sales prove. Taken as whole, i personally prefer Diana’s new album.

I'm guessing that the opening chart #, units sold # and ultimate sales will outpace that of any of Diana's Motown contemporaries' numbers for their most recent album.

I like a lot of ABBA's music actually but their new album doesn’t do much for me.

It's not a competition, of course, but Diana's is better.

I just saw that Abba charted at #2 on the Billboard charts, so the chart must be out... Does anyone know where Diana landed?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...charting-album

HAs not charted yet
    Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I just saw that Abba charted at #2 on the Billboard charts, so the chart must be out... Does anyone know where Diana landed?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...charting-album

Let me correct it debuted at #92

It debuted at #92 on the top 200 and # 38! On the top r&b charts

It debuted at #92 on the top 200 and # 38! On the top r&b charts
    Thanks for the info.

I can not for the life of me understand why she does so badly in the US. Excluding I Love You, this is her first Top 100 album though since 1987!

The album has gone Top 50 in Germany [[#33), Swiss [[#21), Scotland [[#6) and The Netherlands [[#42).

In these days where Streaming mostly dictates everything I think Diana has done well to even make the US Top 100 - well done.

Diana starts her second week in the UK chart at #27 - was expecting a big drop but am pleasantly surprised she's even still Top 30.

The UK leads the way!

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I can not for the life of me understand why she does so badly in the US. Excluding I Love You, this is her first Top 100 album though since 1987!

The album has gone Top 50 in Germany [[#33), Swiss [[#21), Scotland [[#6) and The Netherlands [[#42).
    I noticed a lot of greatest hits albums on the Top 200. So in terms of counting streams, does streaming just one song from an album qualify as an album"sale"? Or do several songs have to be streamed from an album before it's registered?

I wonder if Thank You might have charted higher in the US if Diana Ross had done a bit more promotion such as an interview or a performance on a talk show like Kimmel or Fallon or Good Morning America?

I wonder what the seemingly lack of strategy is here.
    I don't believe this project is designed to set the world on fire or is intended to prove anything. Seems like Diana wanted to deliver a message through her music, that's the purpose, and those that want to receive it ... that's fine and that's good enough for her.

She's not going to 'work' something into a hit at this point in her career ...it isn't about that.