[REMOVE ADS]

50th Anniversary of the First Stylistics LP

An incredible debut, released 50 years ago [[11-6-71). I still have my copy! According to Wikipedia, though ... we've probably discussed this before -

Group members Airrion Love, Herb Murrell, James Dunn, and James Smith can be heard on "You're a Big Girl Now," recorded and released as a single prior to the beginning of production on the album, but according to lead singer Russell Thompkins Jr., they're absent from the album's other eight songs aside from Love's harmony vocals on "You Are Everything."[6] In John A. Jackson's book A House on Fire: The Rise and Fall of Philadelphia Soul [[2004), Sigma Sound Studios founder and engineer Joe Tarsia says, "I don't care if it was the Stylistics or Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, or whoever. All the backgrounds on all those songs were sung not by the groups, but by either Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, Thom Bell, Carl Helm [or] Bunny Sigler," while Sigler says that "most" of the male background vocals on the Stylistics' hit songs were provided by himself, Gamble,Bell and Helm.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Russell Thompkins Jr.

Yes indeed, The Stylistics self titled debut album is a landmark in Philly Soul & '70s Sweet Soul. I've got my copy along with the next two albums they made in 72 & 73. And I read John Jackson's book, A House On Fire discussing who was actually singing on those classic songs [besides the Lead Singer of the group].

Quote Originally Posted by ratjr View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself!

Russell Thompkins Jr.
    ... but you sure could have sung it better! Such wonderful times and memories your voice recalls and continues. Only one RTJ ever. I hope you and your loved ones stay well.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes indeed, The Stylistics self titled debut album is a landmark in Philly Soul & '70s Sweet Soul. I've got my copy along with the next two albums they made in 72 & 73. And I read John Jackson's book, A House On Fire discussing who was actually singing on those classic songs [besides the Lead Singer of the group].
    Thanks, ME - somehow that book got by me. Will be great Thanksgiving week reading!

Interesting that "The Stylistics" are currently touring the UK to packed theatres, but it's never mentioned that the current lead singer has never sung on any of their hits / LP. I know that two of the members were originally part of the Stylistics [[Airron Love, Herb Murrell) - but without Russell Thompkins Jr - I just think of it as a tribute act.

I regularly play the LP from 1971 through to 1975 and then "Hurry up this way again".

Russell's voice on all of those tracks is just perfect - we have been so fortunate that he recorded so many fantastic tracks / LP for us all to listen to.

Oh yeah,i too have this classic lp, fifty years?? Seems like yesterday!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thanks, ME - somehow that book got by me. Will be great Thanksgiving week reading!
    You're Welcome PNH! And I'm sure you'll love reading A House On Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    You're Welcome PNH! And I'm sure you'll love reading A House On Fire.
    It's a masterpiece. Couldn't put it down.

The lp is worthy of an expanded edition; I wonder if there is any extra material? Does the book mention that?

The lp is worthy of an expanded edition; I wonder if there is any extra material? Does the book mention that?
    I'd say all of their first 7 LP expand if there are available tracks. All of the tracks on Stylistics, Round 2, Rockin' Roll Baby, Let's Put It All Together, From A Mountain, You Are Beautiful, and Thank You Baby - are amazing - and every track is a real gem. [[I don't know the LP which followed Thank You Baby, so can't make any comment about how good they are).

Sadly the book, John A. Jackson's A House On Fire, does not mention any material from The Stylistics first album that was left in the vaults.

PS: I would Love to see Deluxe Editions of all three of the albums that The Stylistics recorded with producer Thom Bell at the helm.

Great album