[REMOVE ADS]

Shorty Long not honored by Alabama Music Hall of Fame

I recently purchased a CD by Percy Sledge. In the booklet enclosed with the CD was mention of the Alabama Music Hall of Fame [www.alamhof.org]. I was unfamiliar with this site so I explored it and discovered that it basically honors people born and raised in Alabama for their music contributions to the world. I found it quite interesting. In the facility are large oversize paintings of the ones who have been inducted. The website has a breakout by year with a picture that if you click on it it shows a background on the artist and available videos. Every two years up to a maximum of 6 can be inducted.

It was interesting to note that Motown artists are recognized as follows: Martha Reeves; Commodores; Lionel Richie; and the Temptations. The last Motown recognition was in 1999 for the Temptations. I did learn from that Ollie Woodson was mentioned in the background as he was from the town of Town Creek, AL.

So I did a "search" for our beloved Shorty Long. NOTHING.

This is a tragedy why Shorty Long is totally unrecognized by the museum.
    He was born in Birmingham, AL.

Can anyone shed any light or thoughts on why Shorty is not recognized?

Maybe a campaign encouraging them to include Shorty should be made since the next induction will be 2022.

Thoughts? Do we have any members from Alabama who can shed any light on this subject?

I can only guess that Shorty isn't in the Hall because he isn't as well-known as the other artists you mentioned. Not a good excuse but it is the only one I can think of at the moment.

Ollie Woodson may have a larger profile due to his affiliation with the globally known and
    cherished group but Shorty is the bigger artist musically so...I'm not from there so I can
    only speculate at best...

"It`s A Crying Shame" and there definitely "Ain`t No Justice". Shorty is in my Music Hall Of Fame" I just wish that he had not gone fishing on that fateful day.

I did read on Wikipedia that Shorty was amongst the first inductees into Alabama's Jazz Hall of Fame. I went to their site but it isn't user-friendly, IMO.

Shorty Long had at least mild hits with "Here Coes The Judge" and "Function At The Junction". As a Motown artist, he should have been recognized and included.

Agreed, how can we arrange this?

Let me be the first to nominate him:
    https://www.alamhof.org/form