[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thank you the album [[ out tomorrow)

Who else is looking forward to this masterpiece coming out tomorrow it is an incredible album her voice her voice her voice is unbelievable Diana Ross is back with a vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Who else is looking forward to this masterpiece coming out tomorrow it is an incredible album her voice her voice her voice is unbelievable Diana Ross is back with a vengeance
    You really need to start adding IMO [[In My OPINION) to your posts my dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Girl, you're jumping into the lions den wearing a meat dress!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    LOL. To quote Helen Lawson "Im a Baracudda. I can take it."

I will reserve judgement on quality until I play it a few times, but I did get a notification from Amazon that CD should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it this weekend.

I have no dog in this fight but an IMO would be redundant when someone posts/shares their obviously subjective opinion. Just sayin’…

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I have no dog in this fight but an IMO would be redundant when someone posts/shares their obviously subjective opinion. Just sayin’…
    How can you say Dianas back with a vengeance. Im real happy she has a new CD out and will order it for Monday delivery and I will say and 100% believe that the lady was is and always be a true iconic legend, but 78 years old shes not out promoting it or back on the road and i get that shes guarding her health as she should be during this pandemic but "back with a vengeance is a bit over the top and almost laughable IMO.

LOL. To quote Helen Lawson "Im a Baracudda. I can take it."
    My friend, you and marybrewster are hilarious!

By the way, forgive my ignorance but who is Helen Lawson?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    My friend, you and marybrewster are hilarious!

By the way, forgive my ignorance but who is Helen Lawson?
    You didn't ask me, but she's the character in Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls played to the hilt in the movie by Susan Hayward. "Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope!"

And your the cougar without the dress

A new album from Diana Ross! Can't wait till her stellar voice arrives at my door. Life is sweet. Thank you, Miss Ross!

Well I’ve just listened to all of ‘Thank You’ and whilst it’s not a masterpiece it’s not a dud either. On the whole it does sound as if Diana is in good voice for a 77 year old but that does not mean to say that she hasn’t had a little extra help on some tracks. ‘If The World Just Danced’ is the prime example. The three singles, although not hits, served as promotional tools in the absence of appearances by Diana herself. Unfortunately the album is somewhat ballad heavy with the likes of the horrors ‘All Is Well’, ‘Just In Case’, ‘The Answer is Always Love’, and ‘Count on Me’ none of which go anywhere and are soporific to say the least! On the other hand the ballads ‘Beautiful Love’ and ‘Time to Call’ are magnificent. Dance track ‘Tomorrow’ got me in dancing mode as did my favourite track the Latin infused ‘I Still Believe’. The final track ‘Come Together’ reminds of some of her earlier work, a sort of ‘Reach Out and Touch’ anthem. Diana has played very safe which is a pity as she had the chance to make a really initiative and perhaps final album but did not grasp the metal. It sounds about 40 years old but is that bad or is that good? Out of the 13 tracks I like 7 of them so not enough to buy it but I will play it again.
    Last edited by copley; 11-06-2021 at 04:27 PM.

And your the cougar without the dress
    I prefer the devil with a blue dress. More like an Ikette than a Supreme.

LOL. This gave me a chuckle. Thanks.

I've loved the album. It's very pleasant, very Diana Ross. She stays true to herself and her work.

It's basically a pop-soul album, with a 80's pop music feel, while adding a contemporary veneer.

In Your Heart has a Sade-style feel. Let's Do It is amazing. My two favorite songs from the album.

The title track is amazing as well.

I'm more of a rhythmic person, but I liked the ballads, they have an Alphaville's Forever Young vibe. Time To Call comes to mind.

Count On Me is beautiful, plain and simple.

Her last studio album was a divorce album, leaning towards R&B. This new album is more pop, and very lighthearted.

Her vocals are great too. It's a strong album in my opinion, not ambitious but very well written and produced.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 11-05-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You didn't ask me, but she's the character in Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls played to the hilt in the movie by Susan Hayward. "Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope!"
    “Don’t worry sweetheart, if it flops I can always get you a job as understudy for my grandmother”.........Ouch.

I’m loving the new album : the song Tomorrow is a perfect disco mix incredible

Diana is back ladies and gentlemen she’s back :

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    I've loved the album. It's very pleasant, very Diana Ross. She stays true to herself and her work.

It's basically a pop-soul album, with a 80's pop music feel, while adding a contemporary veneer.

In Your Heart has a Sade-style feel. Let's Do It is amazing. My two favorite songs from the album.

I'm more of a rhythmic person, but I liked the ballads, they have an Alphaville's Forever Young vibe. Time To Call comes to mind.

Her last studio album was a divorce album, leaning towards R&B. This new album is more pop, and very lighthearted.

Her vocals are great too. It's a strong album in my opinion, not ambitious but very well written and produced.
    In Your Heart and Let’s Do It are among my favorites as well. Love all the prior released tracks including Time to Call.

Favorite of the new ballads is Just in Case and Beautiful Love. Not that keen on Count on Me and Come Together, for me, is the only outright clunker on the whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “Don’t worry sweetheart, if it flops I can always get you a job as understudy for my grandmother”.........Ouch.
    "Give. Me. That. WIG!!!!!"

Back to the subject at hand: #3 pop on iTunes as we speak!
    Last edited by sansradio; 11-05-2021 at 07:32 AM.

How can you say Dianas back with a vengeance. Im real happy she has a new CD out and will order it for Monday delivery and I will say and 100% believe that the lady was is and always be a true iconic legend, but 78 years old shes not out promoting it or back on the road and i get that shes guarding her health as she should be during this pandemic but "back with a vengeance is a bit over the top and almost laughable IMO.
    Back with a vengeance? I thought this new album was full of songs about love and positivity? Unless the songs not yet released are about bloodshed and revenge? Who does Diana have a vendetta against? Gladys? Patti? Dr. Reeves?

"Give. Me. That. WIG!!!!!"

Back to the subject at hand: #3 pop on iTunes as we speak!
    “I’ll go out; the way I came in”.

Great news regarding iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post

Your review, Nitro, is so close to my own thoughts that I've decided to not write my own full review! I will say that as a long-time true fan I'm extremely happy to have a new Diana Ross album with new material, and an excellent, contemporary album at that. Good work, Our Miss Ross, and I indeed Thank You!

On the third hour of today's TODAY SHOW, they mentioned the release of Diana's new album during the Weekend Hit List segment. It was very brief but the on-air guy was very enthusiastic.

#4 UK iTunes albums

Excitement in the air !!!
    Congratulations Diana Ross!!

I have enjoyed the clips I've heard, so I've ordered this and should get it by Monday. I don't see that Amazon US is selling an mp3 version. Usually they do that as well, and you can get an Auto Rip, meaning that they put the tracks into your music account before the CD is sent out. Looks like I'll be hearing it fully on Monday night!

And may I say, I', glad that I Love You was not her final album - not that Thank You will be, but this seems a better release to be a final album, if it is.

I pre-ordered my copy when the release was first announced and my copy should be arriving today. But it's already on music streaming services so I'm listening to it now. The album is very Diana Ross and is reflective of where she is at 77. Since her last album she has become a grandmother 7 times over. Most songs are reflective of Diana's spiritual side. Diana clearly had her children and grandchildren in mind when she recorded this album. I don't think this album isn't meant to reestablish her as a top pop star, she's 77. She still has the sweetness in her voice and it's heartwarming to hear.

Sounds so much better when heard on a decent sound system.
    On first listen it’s a very pleasant album indeed, finding Diana in good form. I probably prefer the up to mid-tempo numbers better then most of the slow ballads. This mostly being due to some rather treacly lyrics.
    “In Your Heart” has a really soothing quality to it, with “Beautiful Love” containing a wonderfully poignant vocal from Diana.
    “I Still Believe” and “Tomorrow” being the pick of the bunch for me, so am looking forward to hearing the great remixes that will surely follow.
    Least fave has to be “Beautiful Love”. A nice vocal from Diana, but lyrics that cross the line in the saccharine stakes.
    Biggest surprise has to be “Come Together” which I thought would be really awful, but is actually fairly good.

Great review. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...u-1253286/amp/ [[ You won’t find a more ebullient resurrection of the Studio 54 era than “Tomorrow,” and “In Your Heart” brings to mind the meditative dance tracks Madonna explored in the mid to late Nineties. During those moments of feather-bed glory, Thank Yourecalls a time when pop was proud to be pop, not therapy sessions set to simmer-level rhythms and nebulous hooks. Ross isn’t preaching about love hangovers, but she’s still looking to cure a few modern ills. )

All tracks are now on YT as well as Spotify etc.

I like the album very much.

Where was she?

I didn't think we were allowed to say "ladies and gentlemen" anymore.

listening to it now, love the dance tracks but the love song seem well produced.strings sound great.
    diana seems in good voice here.
    love Tomorrow, I Still Believe,If the World Danced.one of her best albums in many years

I love it! Pure joy, positive and inspirational. Very Diana.

My CD arrived today. Just played it for first time. I really like the album. Ross' vocals are heartfelt; she sounds committed to the material and sounds really good. My favorite at the moment is "Just in Case", partly because of the use of live instruments, and especially the trumpet solo.

At this point, I say, for me, this is her best studio album since Force Behind the Power, which is one of my all time favorite Diana Ross albums.

I bought the digital from ITUNES last night. I really enjoyed it. Got the CD today and totally fell in love with it. This album is more than I expected. I can’t stop playing it.

My CD arrived from Amazon today [[Friday). Wow! I couldn't be more pleased! After hearing some of the tracks on YouTube, I'll admit I was leary of the sound quality -- especially since it was reported to have been recorded on Diana's "home studio" equipment. And I said so in an earlier post. But now that I'm hearing it for the first time on decent equipment, I realize that not only was I wrong, I'm more impressed than ever! If I were rating Diana's "Thank You" CD back in the '80s, I would have given it a PERFORMANCE: 10; SOUND QUALITY: 10. The sound quality really is exceptional, and Diana is in fine voice throughout. Unlike others, I haven't gotten the impression that the album is over-heavy on ballads. They're paced in such a way that the track line-up doesn't bother me at all. I would really love to hear Diana's live version of "Tomorrow" at her live concerts. [[No, it's not Annie's song "Tomorrow" from the Broadway musical "Annie"!) It's an uptempo mover that Diana will surely have a real ball with on stage! Overall, I love nearly every track. The only songs I don't care for at this time is track 4 - "In Your Heart", and track 7 - "Let's Do It". Track 3, "All Is Well", still rubs me the wrong way with its conflicting chords, but even that is slowly-but-surely growing on me. My only complaint would be that the theme of every track seems to be "if we stand together, we can make it". The overall feel needs a good, old faithful one-on-one love song. Even a pissed-off, cheater love song would have been a welcome contrast. But, it's clear that Diana aimed the overall CD theme to her kids and her fans, which is perfectly okay. If that was her intention, she hit the nail right on the head! I sincerely hope that this release does very well for Diana. She has earned it!

I agree with gvalindo -- I can't stop playing it!

PS: Is it possible that our beloved Miss Ross has had some facial nips & tucks done recently? There are some outstanding images of her in one of her new YouTube videos in which she looks amazingly different yet absolutely gorgeous! Just wondering and loving what I see and hear!

That said, I'm now anxious to hear what my good friend Kenny has to say about Diana's new CD! Kenny? And you, too, Boogie!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-06-2021 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Back with a vengeance? I thought this new album was full of songs about love and positivity? Unless the songs not yet released are about bloodshed and revenge? Who does Diana have a vendetta against? Gladys? Patti? Dr. Reeves?
    I really hope they are as it would be a nice to have a contrast. All this love, peace and positivity malarkey can get a bit much at times.

Wow….I don’t think I would have ever figured that one out! As I recall, that part was supposed to be played by Judy Garland whom I think it was modeled after in the book but ended up being played by Hayward in one of her last, if not her last, film roles. Thanks for the information!

@P/M Gary,

If history is an indication, as usual you and I will completely disagree on the music that we both love…Motown. But I have not bought the album yet. I plan to, but just have not at this time. I like the colored vinyl, so I am debating if I should buy it in more than one format or not.

That being said, don’t forget guys to post your reviews on Amazon. I checked this morning and there were none there yet. Posting your reviews here does little to add to any prospective buyers’ interest in the album because everyone here is already a prospective buyer. Do Diane a favor and put your reviews where it has exposure to many more people than this forum.

My copy arrived from Amazon earlier today. I must say how much I am enjoying the album. So many fabulous songs, great vocals and backing tracks. For me Time To Call really pushes the buttons. It’s been well worth the wait. Let the build up for her 2022 UK concerts now begin!

I'm loving the album. Just ... loving it. What a nice surprise at this time of my fandom! I had despaired of ever having a real, live new album of new material ever again and here it is! Our Miss Ross.

Wow….I don’t think I would have ever figured that one out! As I recall, that part was supposed to be played by Judy Garland whom I think it was modeled after in the book but ended up being played by Hayward in one of her last, if not her last, film roles. Thanks for the information!
    Yep, Judy did a disastrous screen test for that role, but Helen was based more on an Ethel Merman-type figure; the lead part, Neely O’Hara [played by Patty Duke in the film] was the Judy figure in the book/movie, though. And you’re welcome!

On topic again: The album has slipped one notch to #4 pop on Apple Music, so still going strong!
    Last edited by sansradio; 11-07-2021 at 01:40 AM.

Yep, Judy did a disastrous screen test for that role, but Helen was based more on an Ethel Merman-type figure; the lead part, Neely O’Hara [played by Patty Duke in the film] was the Judy figure in the book/movie, though. And you’re welcome!

On topic again: The album has slipped one notch to #4 pop on Apple Music, so still going strong!
    Sadly, Judy was let go after the first week of filming.
    A remake at one point would have made a brilliant vehicle for Diana and Beyoncé. Diana as Helen Lawson with Beyoncé as either Anne or Neely.

@sansradio,

Thank you for clarifying that. If I could stay off topic just for a moment, I’d like your opinion about something else regarding the film. I forget when I first saw the movie, and I think I’ve seen it maybe twice. The weirdest thing to me about that film is that it was a big movie with a lot of publicity based on a huge best-selling novel, and yet it seemed to be cast with TV instead of film personalities. Although Patty Duke of course had her most famous role as Helen Keller in films before she became the star of a situation comedy, it seems like everyone else in the movie, except for Susan Hayward, were second string TV stars. Paul Burke, Barbara Parkins, Lee Grant. Although you couldn’t say that about the tragic Sharon Tate, I found it odd that a movie with that kind of build up was cast in that way. I’m curious about your opinion on that since you seem to know the film so well. Thanks.
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-07-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    My CD arrived from Amazon today [[Friday). Wow! I couldn't be more pleased! After hearing some of the tracks on YouTube, I'll admit I was leary of the sound quality -- especially since it was reported to have been recorded on Diana's "home studio" equipment. And I said so in an earlier post. But now that I'm hearing it for the first time on decent equipment, I realize that not only was I wrong, I'm more impressed than ever! If I were rating Diana's "Thank You" CD back in the '80s, I would have given it a PERFORMANCE: 10; SOUND QUALITY: 10. The sound quality really is exceptional, and Diana is in fine voice throughout. Unlike others, I haven't gotten the impression that the album is over-heavy on ballads. They're paced in such a way that the track line-up doesn't bother me at all. I would really love to hear Diana's live version of "Tomorrow" at her live concerts. [[No, it's not Annie's song "Tomorrow" from the Broadway musical "Annie"!) It's an uptempo mover that Diana will surely have a real ball with on stage! Overall, I love nearly every track. The only songs I don't care for at this time is track 4 - "In Your Heart", and track 7 - "Let's Do It". Track 3, "All Is Well", still rubs me the wrong way with its conflicting chords, but even that is slowly-but-surely growing on me. My only complaint would be that the theme of every track seems to be "if we stand together, we can make it". The overall feel needs a good, old faithful one-on-one love song. Even a pissed-off, cheater love song would have been a welcome contrast. But, it's clear that Diana aimed the overall CD theme to her kids and her fans, which is perfectly okay. If that was her intention, she hit the nail right on the head! I sincerely hope that this release does very well for Diana. She has earned it!

I agree with gvalindo -- I can't stop playing it!

PS: Is it possible that our beloved Miss Ross has had some facial nips & tucks done recently? There are some outstanding images of her in one of her new YouTube videos in which she looks amazingly different yet absolutely gorgeous! Just wondering and loving what I see and hear!

That said, I'm now anxious to hear what my good friend Kenny has to say about Diana's new CD! Kenny? And you, too, Boogie!
    One of the reasons Just in Case is my favorite song is that it's a song about unrequited love, but Diana sings from a perspective of someone willing to settle for that, as it's still love. That makes for an emotionally complex story/characterization.

Other favorites for me on the album are: Thank You, Time to Call, I Still Believe, and The Answer's Always Love [[surprise there as I was not impressed with Siedah Garrett's version--what a difference having a master pop vocalist take on the song).

Only dud for me is Let's Do It. Too preachy and the music not to my taste.

@sansradio,

Thank you for clarifying that. If I could stay off topic just for a moment, I’d like your opinion about something else regarding the film. I forget when I first saw the movie, and I think I’ve seen it maybe twice. The weirdest thing to me about that film is that it was a big movie with a lot of publicity based on a huge best-selling novel, and yet it seemed to be cast with TV instead of film personalities. Although Patty Duke of course had her most famous role as Helen Keller in films before she became the star of a situation comedy, it seems like everyone else in the movie, except for Susan Hayward, were second string TV stars. Paul Burke, Barbara Parkins, Lee Grant. Although I you couldn’t say that about the tragic Sharon Tate, I found it odd that a movie with that kind of build up was cast in that way. I’m curious about your opinion on that since you seem to know the film so well. Thanks.
    Kenneth and Sansradio, I butt in for a brief moment and will fully accept factual correction. I believe that VOtD was indeed planned as a high-profile but low-budget film. Back to you two and best always -