[REMOVE ADS]

ED Wolfrum R.I.P.

Just this morning I learned of Ed's passing. I knew it was coming. I heard he was in the hospital, not doing well. He will be missed. We always touched bases over the years, catching up on one thing or another concerning the recording business.
    When it came to recording, Ed was old school and loathed some of the newer recording mediums, such as Pro Tools. In so many ways, I'm with Ed on this one and prefer a 24 track tape wedded to a killer console.
    Ed was instrumental in the design of the Tera Shirma Studio B console with powerful transformers of his design. He would tell me "There is iron in those transformers, Ralph." That gave the studio more bottom than the Grand Canyon.
    I always admired Ed's up beat attitude. Always a joy to have a conversation with. I know Ed was a man of strong faith, having attended seminary school years before.I imagine the Pearly Gates have swung wide on his arrival looking for a tune-up on the celestial sound system.
    You will be missed, Ed. You done good, dude.
    Last edited by ralpht; 11-03-2021 at 07:37 PM.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the passing of Ed Wolfrum. He'll be remembered for his contributions to Music by helping to design the console at the Tera Shirma Sound Studio. My condolences to his Family & Friends at this sad time.

This is a major loss for the Detroit legacy. I had some great concerns about the past existence of Golden World and related labels. I wrote him a letter and much to my surprise he actually called me on the phone and spoke for nearly an hour about his involvement at GW and RT labels. He could not have been more cordial and knowledgeable. He certainly knew his past experiences and invited me if I ever get to Detroit to contact him and he would graciously welcome a visit from me. He was the surviving expert on GW and RT labels. He was really proud of what they accomplished and was disappointed the way the entire operation went out of business.

We lost a great person. This is tragic to say the least. RIP Ed.

Sad news Ralph.

The inventor of the 'Direct Box' for recording of electric bass/guitars etc. straight into the console for a nice clean signal, which Mike McLean adopted for use in Hitsville Studio A.

I remember him posting some great info on the technical/engineering side on this forum in the early days, and remember it was great to read the words of someone who's name I'd first seen on the Darrell Banks Memphis/Detroit collaborated 'Here To Stay' album released on Stax/Volt in 1969.

Some nice tributes on the UK 'Soul Source' forum: -

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articl...wolfrum-r4538/

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums...to-ed-wolfrum/

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 11-04-2021 at 11:41 AM.

This is an excellent story about his legacy from the Soul-Source article. It covers virtually his entire career.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articl...ob-moss-r2445/

I just found out. Before the pandemic I had visited his home in Royal Oak Mi...My original town too. What a great guy. I knew he had a problem but really didn't think it was this bad. The Acme Direct box is a takeoff on the Wolfbox he built for Motown. Of course he is not credited for that design by the Acme folks. He came and recorded some of my dads music at Schoolcraft College. His family and ours were a staple at St. Dennis Church in Royal Oak. He mixed many of the jungles my father played on at United Sound.
    We sat in his living room and listened to his Klipsch La Scala speakers. It was wonderful!
    I will miss him! I know he is in a better place.

Thanks for the info, Ralph. I was not familiar with Ed by name but due to your efforts now I am. Be well.