[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 78
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170

    Jon Bon Jovi's Early Diana Ross Encounter

    In 2000 Jon Bon Jovi recounted to UKs "Mail On Sunday" his first meeting with Miss Ross when he was errand boy at Power Station studios in the early 80s his duties included making coffee,sweeping the floors and fetching snacks for clientele.

    "One of the diva encounters,with a Silk Electric era Diana Ross..ignoring a "Do not Enter" sign on the door to deliver a package to her,he made the mistake of calling her Diana,to which she sharply replied "Cant you read you moron ? Its Miss Ross to you.Now get the fuck out of my studio."

    "It was" says an older Bon jovi "A bit of a surpise,but as soon as I left the studio it was a case of "well fuck you too,man". Dont get me wrong,shes still a great singer.But I gotta tell you,Miss Ross aint my boss."

    Post script : Ross and Jovi presented an award together at the 1990 Grammy Awards, Jovi looking somewhat uncomfortable.

    Why does she sometimes act like this ? stress/pressure ?..i love Diana but sometimes im perplexed at her actions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    15
    This sounds like a parody of some sort.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    This sounds like a parody of some sort.
    Not at all the Daily Mail has an article today on Diana's new music video..in the comments section someone referred to this incident so i looked it up and found it and thought i would share.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,733
    Rep Power
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Why does she sometimes act like this ? stress/pressure ?..i love Diana but sometimes im perplexed at her actions.
    While I can't explain why Diana Ross acted that way, it's usually down to a case of entitlement. A lot of celebrities do stuff like that to throw their weight around and she probably picked it up from them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    567
    Rep Power
    125
    This is a stupid anecdote, but why would one ignore a "Do Not Enter" sign in a recording studio! I would be pissed too. Sounds her reaction was very logical and if it had been Robert Palmer or Nile Rodgers responding like that, JBJ probably would not have written about it. Always nice "tell all biographies" to include some juicy diva-attitudes and jump on the "Call Her Miss Ross" bandwagon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,682
    Rep Power
    242
    If the story is true, Diana could have been nicer. It sounds like Bon Jovi was probably an intern at the studio. Having been an intern myself, I can tell you that it is sometimes hard to know what to do. If the package was important and he hadn't delivered it to her, he probably would have gotten chewed out. He does deliver it and still gets chewed out. Now I definitely would NOT have called her Diana. A bad situation all around.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    81
    It’s Jon who exhibited entitlement. It was him and his “privilege“ that was offended.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    It’s Jon who exhibited entitlement. It was him and his “privilege“ that was offended.
    Totally agree. Why would anyone just walk in a recording studio with a sign that says, "Do Not Enter"? But I'm pretty sure that JBJ has never sworn at another person or worker..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    147
    Now the bitter, now the sweet... In 1986 I knocked on Miss Ross's dressing room door in Vegas then very foolishly walked right in without waiting for a response. She was laying on her sofa and somewhat startled. She very sternly said "You don't just knock and then walk right in!" My heart stopped and I choked out "I'm sorry." She then smiled sweetly and said, "it's OK." Now, I wasn't a stranger to her but I certainly wasn't familiar enough to do what I did. I know other celebrities that wouldn't have been nearly that nice. And by the way, she never asked me to call her Miss Ross.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    903
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Now the bitter, now the sweet... In 1986 I knocked on Miss Ross's dressing room door in Vegas then very foolishly walked right in without waiting for a response. She was laying on her sofa and somewhat startled. She very sternly said "You don't just knock and then walk right in!" My heart stopped and I choked out "I'm sorry." She then smiled sweetly and said, "it's OK." Now, I wasn't a stranger to her but I certainly wasn't familiar enough to do what I did. I know other celebrities that wouldn't have been nearly that nice. And by the way, she never asked me to call her Miss Ross.
    Thank you, George. You put a smile on my face.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,994
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If the story is true, Diana could have been nicer. It sounds like Bon Jovi was probably an intern at the studio. Having been an intern myself, I can tell you that it is sometimes hard to know what to do. If the package was important and he hadn't delivered it to her, he probably would have gotten chewed out. He does deliver it and still gets chewed out. Now I definitely would NOT have called her Diana. A bad situation all around.
    JBJ [a local Jersey boy and largely regarded as quite the entitled a-ho-yougetthepicture) was indeed a long-suffering [less than 1 year) recording studio 'janitor' where he suffered the demeaning task of sweeping recording tape remnants [in his uncle's studio) and somehow survived the experience of commuting from NYC to his parent's upper middle class home in Perth Amboy. Yup, that guy. His ... issue ... with Diana Ross has been regurgitated for decades.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-03-2021 at 11:37 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Why doesn't it surprise me to see the apologists in this thread?

    I'm sorry, but as much as I love Diana Ross for all the musical joy she's brought me my entire life, if Jon's story is true- and honestly I have no reason to doubt it- this was pure disgusting. There was a way to admonish the dude about disregarding the sign without disregarding his humanity. The reason why she acted that way was because people let her get away with it. Had he cussed her out in response- the way I would have- maybe, just maybe, she would've thought twice before speaking to someone that way again. And no doubt in my mind this wasn't the first time she did this to someone and it wasn't the last. Diana's behavior is well documented. All of these stories aren't made up. The lady could be a real trip. It's a character flaw.

    But yes, let's talk about how mean Mary was to Diana in her books.*rolls eyes*

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If the story is true, Diana could have been nicer. It sounds like Bon Jovi was probably an intern at the studio. Having been an intern myself, I can tell you that it is sometimes hard to know what to do. If the package was important and he hadn't delivered it to her, he probably would have gotten chewed out. He does deliver it and still gets chewed out. Now I definitely would NOT have called her Diana. A bad situation all around.
    The voice of reason, as usual.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,718
    Rep Power
    363
    Diana said she got “big headed” in the early 80’s. Lots of successful or important people do.

    As she said yesterday, she was a little girl from Detroit from a modest background that had an incredible amount of success.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Why doesn't it surprise me to see the apologists in this thread?

    I'm sorry, but as much as I love Diana Ross for all the musical joy she's brought me my entire life, if Jon's story is true- and honestly I have no reason to doubt it- this was pure disgusting. There was a way to admonish the dude about disregarding the sign without disregarding his humanity. The reason why she acted that way was because people let her get away with it. Had he cussed her out in response- the way I would have- maybe, just maybe, she would've thought twice before speaking to someone that way again. And no doubt in my mind this wasn't the first time she did this to someone and it wasn't the last. Diana's behavior is well documented. All of these stories aren't made up. The lady could be a real trip. It's a character flaw.

    But yes, let's talk about how mean Mary was to Diana in her books.*rolls eyes*
    RanRan you summed up the point better than i could have expressed

    In Taraborrelli's third biography he takes effort to explain that Diana's short temper at times is just that - short, she lets it out in sometimes a ferocious burst..then its over.and shes over it and dosent seem to hold a grudge. [[one shining example is her willingness to work with Mary on RTL after two not so pretty autobiographies from Wilson)

    Tom Adrahtas's book on Ross is full of moments of Diana showing warmth and kindness to fans who follow her tour circuits, Ed Ifkovics witty,snappy tome on Diana also includes some touching moments of Diana when she is happy to and genuinely interested about the lives of Ed and Larry..but its a yin and yang - Ifkovic also includes a story of the night Diana berrated a security guard and grabbed him by his tie which left Diana fans saddened by what they had witnessed from her that night.

    When I worked at EMI I heard from one label manager of Diana letting her temper get the best of her when a young lady delivered flowers for her backstage at a concert.

    Diana's Diva moments are part of her lore - not the sum part of her but they are a part of who she is.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    I know people in the hotel industry who have told me how nice she can be. I have also met music industry folk who consider her a compete bitch.
    When living in London during the 90’s, i would often see Diana walking in Battersea Park, sometimes with Arne. On one occasion I witnessed her screaming abuse at two young children who were simply asking her “are you Diana Ross”?. Not nice.
    I almost asked her to stop, but was nervous she might tell me to piss off, thus ending my fandom right there and then lol.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-03-2021 at 05:39 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170
    Another example of Diana's forgiving nature and not holding on to a moment - when her marriage to Bob Ellis reached breaking point they were in a car together arguing and Ellis threatened to drive the car off the road and kill them both- Diana divorced him for those actions but stayed friendly with him afterwards...if I was put in the same postion I wouldnt be so forgiving.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    RanRan you summed up the point better than i could have expressed

    In Taraborrelli's third biography he takes effort to explain that Diana's short temper at times is just that - short, she lets it out in sometimes a ferocious burst..then its over.and shes over it and dosent seem to hold a grudge. [[one shining example is her willingness to work with Mary on RTL after two not so pretty autobiographies from Wilson)

    Tom Adrahtas's book on Ross is full of moments of Diana showing warmth and kindness to fans who follow her tour circuits, Ed Ifkovics witty,snappy tome on Diana also includes some touching moments of Diana when she is happy to and genuinely interested about the lives of Ed and Larry..but its a yin and yang - Ifkovic also includes a story of the night Diana berrated a security guard and grabbed him by his tie which left Diana fans saddened by what they had witnessed from her that night.

    When I worked at EMI I heard from one label manager of Diana letting her temper get the best of her when a young lady delivered flowers for her backstage at a concert.

    Diana's Diva moments are part of her lore - not the sum part of her but they are a part of who she is.
    Mary wrote about Diana having these "moments" even in the early days. How she'd fly off the handle and then act as if nothing has happened. So the idea that her antics are the result of her stardom and success doesn't ring true. Yes, Diana, like the rest of us, is a complicated human being. Deniece Williams tells a story of Diana checking someone who disrespected Deniece. The lady isn't always a monster and she so very obviously has a warm and loving side. But it was disappointing to see responses to Jon's story turned around on him, even reduced to his privilege, rather than call Diana's behavior what it was: abhorrent. Especially after Reese pointed out the predicament an intern may have found himself in at that point, having once been one himself. I guess none of it matters when it's Diana Ross against the world. In this day in age where there is so much nastiness between people- most of it nonsensical- to see more nastiness- even that of decades ago- defended just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The entitled attitudes that some people have in this world only exist because of enablers who turn the other way or even defend that behavior.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    On one occasion I witnessed her screaming abuse at two young children who were simply asking her “are you Diana Ross”?. Not nice.
    I almost asked her to stop, but was nervous she might tell me to piss off, thus ending my fandom right there and then lol.
    You enabler!

    We must be built differently Ollie because [[a) I would've gotten involved, and [[b) I could never be a fan of Diana's after witnessing that, not an attack on children. Luckily for me I didn't see it and I have the option of thinking of you as a common internet liar whose sole mission is to attempt to disturb my love of Diana Ross. You lose again.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170
    Dionne Warwicks take on the cult of Diana's behaviour in her autobiography is puzzling - I thinks its in the middle of her book [[I loaned my copy to a friend who lost it !..sigh)...From memory, Dionne recants something about Diana's behaviour in The Supremes then quickly states that she has never personally seen "that side " of Diana herself.....then in,I think, the final chapter Dionne bumps into Diana in a clothing store then tails off with an an unflattering comment about her...Its telling that even when Diana is nice someone of the stature of Warwick is suspicous of her urban legend.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    13
    I would do the exact same things if someone walked in on me while I was recording some music that is just plain rude rude rude rude good for you Diana and in the end I’m sure she meant no harm

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    13
    And oily You are a poop disturber and I don’t believe one word that you say but you thrive on your own thinking

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,719
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I know people in the hotel industry who have told me how nice she can be. I have also met music industry folk who consider her a compete bitch.
    When living in London during the 90’s, i would often see Diana walking in Battersea Park, sometimes with Arne. On one occasion I witnessed her screaming abuse at two young children who were simply asking her “are you Diana Ross”?. Not nice.
    I almost asked her to stop, but was nervous she might tell me to piss off, thus ending my fandom right there and then lol.
    Ive heard of a maid delivering something to Diana's suite in a London hotel and in her excitment she said "Oh Diana ! im coming to your concert...im so excited !'...management were quickly informed that this staff member need to be fired...what i find about all these kind of shenanigans is - how its just such a waste of energy life is short..you just cannot seriously get upset if some members of the public refer to you as Diana...sometimes it dosent bother her [[As George noted) and yet at other times she will fly off the handle about it...as RanRan stated - shes done this since a teenager you cant blame Jon Bon Jovi or others who have seen the volatile flare ups...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You enabler!

    We must be built differently Ollie because [[a) I would've gotten involved, and [[b) I could never be a fan of Diana's after witnessing that, not an attack on children. Luckily for me I didn't see it and I have the option of thinking of you as a common internet liar whose sole mission is to attempt to disturb my love of Diana Ross. You lose again.
    Normally i would have Ran, but it’s not always so cut and dry. This is someone i have worshipped since i was a young child, with posters on the wall buying everything I could lay my hands on. I remember Diana glaring at me as if she would rip my head off. In truth I was frozen to the spot which is very unlike me.
    I’m sure she is an extremely nice person a lot of the time, but on occasion seems to lose control at the simplest of things. Also these were children.
    The incident didn’t stop me being a fan, but might have had it escalated. This probably being the reason why i froze.

  25. #25
    I have loved this woman for 27 years and still do. However, this erratic behaviour is just disgusting. Especially the story with the maid made me sad. Why, oh Why, didn’t anyone in her team tell her to just stop?! Berry would never let her go on like this. Hopefully Diana is a more humble person nowadays.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    33
    Having never recorded an album -- but I'm still waiting, Motown, if you want to give me the chance -- I believe intense concentration would be necessary and normal, as the artist would want to get every word, every note, every phrase and every nuance perfect when working in the studio. A minor flaw in a concert might not be a major concern, as performances are impermanent, but perfection is absolutely essential when making a record, as those sounds are preserved forever, whether to be savored or to stab one in the back. Too, every minute counts, studio time being as expensive as it is. I cannot fault Ms. Ross for demanding uninterrupted moments, as her standards are high, and second-best results would not suit her well in the long run. Why decimate one's career just to please some nobody? And I don't necessarily believe the words of a disgruntled delivery boy who perhaps expected much too much when he chose to ignore the "don't disturb" sign on the door.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    I cannot fault Ms. Ross for demanding uninterrupted moments, as her standards are high, and second-best results would not suit her well in the long run.
    The production and sound quality on those first two albums sounded extremely second rate. High standards....erm yea. Perhaps sometimes.
    Have you listened to the “I Love You” album lol.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    76
    Whenever I read about celebrities recalling extended periods where they virtually starved themselves to be camera ready, I always wonder about how irritable they must also have been during those times.

    I witnessed her screaming abuse at two young children who were simply asking her “are you Diana Ross”?.
    Did she scream: "Call me Mom, you little sh*ts!"?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    29
    As Maya Angelou once said: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

    Sure he was wrong to step into the studio while she was busy and there was a sign saying do not enter. But she crossed the line when she cussed him out. And he was not the only one to be on the receiving end of such treatment from her. And she got away with such antics for a long time.

    Hopefully she now regrets such behavior and has mellowed out and that her current Thank You album Love and Positivity 24/7 isn't just a big phony act.

    As for Bon Jovi, I wonder after he became a star if his recording session was ever interrupted in such a way and if so, I hoped he reacted differently.

    Fine to correct and reprimand someone so they know better, but no excuse to treat them as less than human.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    Rep Power
    158
    I don’t think either party comes out particularly rose smelling in this story … [& privilege points towards who ?]
    who knows what instructions were given the delivery guy —-Make sure she gets this no matter what ! …. Etc. calling her Diana definitely out of line ….[but not “fucking” level out of line unless you’re someone like Alec Baldwin] …
    But here’s a thought , if not being disturbed is so essential :
    PUT A LOCK ON THE DAM DOOR!

    Now I’m wondering —- what was in the package that had to be taken to her in the middle of her recording ???

    Shall we call it her ‘mood medicine’ ? Lol!!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Whenever I read about celebrities recalling extended periods where they virtually starved themselves to be camera ready, I always wonder about how irritable they must also have been during those times.



    Did she scream: "Call me Mom, you little sh*ts!"?
    LOL. Let’s just say she wasn’t being awfully nice. The most amazing thing was how kids aged around 11/12 even knew who she was. Her hair was tied up, she was wearing a tracksuit and makeup free.
    It is what it is, and I have remained a fan. I honestly think it all depends on the day, with privacy being a highly prized commodity in the life of a celeb.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    It’s Jon who exhibited entitlement. It was him and his “privilege“ that was offended.
    Bingo!!!!

    I love this story and hope it's true. 15 years into her historic career and some delivery guy thinks he can interrupt her recording session AND call her 'Diana"?!

    Feel the wrath, b*tch!!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    I referenced this thread the other day when talking to someone about the current state of US society and Trumpism. The other person kept trying to make it all about the worship of Trump, but my POV was that Trumpism is just one of the many symptoms of our society that worships and gives special privileges to a select few, especially those with wealth and power. There's this need to elevate certain people to a position that is above the rest of us and if you don't bow down, they're perfectly okay with you being put down. This thread makes one thing perfectly clear: that Diana Ross could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, just like a certain somebody, and not lose any fans. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here learn of Jon's story and stop being a fan of Diana Ross. My Diana music collection aint going nowhere. But to read what she did and high five that...this thread has officially become one of the most disgusting threads I've had the displeasure of reading in this forum. It comes in third behind second place loser thread where someone defended blackface, and the most disgusting thread where a Black man in this forum disparaged Black children because they're Blackness automatically meant something negative. Not good company to be in, IMO.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I referenced this thread the other day when talking to someone about the current state of US society and Trumpism. The other person kept trying to make it all about the worship of Trump, but my POV was that Trumpism is just one of the many symptoms of our society that worships and gives special privileges to a select few, especially those with wealth and power. There's this need to elevate certain people to a position that is above the rest of us and if you don't bow down, they're perfectly okay with you being put down. This thread makes one thing perfectly clear: that Diana Ross could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, just like a certain somebody, and not lose any fans. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here learn of Jon's story and stop being a fan of Diana Ross. My Diana music collection aint going nowhere. But to read what she did and high five that...this thread has officially become one of the most disgusting threads I've had the displeasure of reading in this forum. It comes in third behind second place loser thread where someone defended blackface, and the most disgusting thread where a Black man in this forum disparaged Black children because they're Blackness automatically meant something negative. Not good company to be in, IMO.
    Almost every celebrity has their sycophants. The fans who’s deferential fawning and obedience renders them incapable of comprehending their chosen one might just be less then perfect. We have two on here lol.
    Perhaps i might be considered one myself, as I witnessed her cussing out some kids in the park and did not intervene. It’s subjective.
    Not excusing such behaviour, but i have also heard some really nice recollections of her kindness and generosity so don’t consider her an outright bitch.
    We all know Diana can be volatile, so it’s a choice we make as to how that effects us.

  35. #35
    I agree with everything RanRan79 just said. I do not like miss Ross any less in general, but this behaviour is just monstruos and should not be apologized by us fans.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    133
    Diana Ross was not gifted "privilege." She was Black at a time when Black was overtly, purposefully and maliciously diminished by the majority culture. Diana [[and Berry) had to DEMAND that she was accorded respect. I can't imagine the racist insults -- something way beyond "microagressions" -- that she had to endure everyday interacting with those who considered her less-than.

    So a greasy-haired white dude blithely wanders into HER recording studio and calls her "Diana" like she's his maid?! What am I missing???

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,994
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Diana Ross was not gifted "privilege." She was Black at a time when Black was overtly, purposefully and maliciously diminished by the majority culture. Diana [[and Berry) had to DEMAND that she was accorded respect. I can't imagine the racist insults -- something way beyond "microagressions" -- that she had to endure everyday interacting with those who considered her less-than.

    So a greasy-haired white dude blithely wanders into HER recording studio and calls her "Diana" like she's his maid?! What am I missing???
    You are missing nothing, Guy. In fact, you state it perfectly. But, as we know, there are The Trolls who dedicate their lives to regurgitating anything about Diana Ross that they can, even decades-old stories like these.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Diana Ross was not gifted "privilege." She was Black at a time when Black was overtly, purposefully and maliciously diminished by the majority culture. Diana [[and Berry) had to DEMAND that she was accorded respect. I can't imagine the racist insults -- something way beyond "microagressions" -- that she had to endure everyday interacting with those who considered her less-than.

    So a greasy-haired white dude blithely wanders into HER recording studio and calls her "Diana" like she's his maid?! What am I missing???
    So true. There's a reason she became somewhat harsh in business matters.

    Women of her generation, let alone black women, wasn't supposed to speak for themselves.

    I love the fact Diana's nobody's victim and always defended herself. I love the way she imposed RESPECT, loud and clear.

    Yes, she overdid it sometimes and it came back to haunt her in some aspects, especially when she lost label support for her later releases. But overall Diana is an extremely achieved woman, personally and professionally.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    Rep Power
    158
    I don’t know anything about Bon Jovi but instead of knee jerk whining about victimhood I decided to go read about him at wiki.
    I suggest others do the same. His is a wonderful self made story , and good for him. He was born of marine parents sold newspapers as a youngster and as still a youngster swept floors at a relatives recording studio for years. Kind of reminds me of Norman Whitfield at Motown.
    musically he is self taught , music a genuine interest of him.
    he did odds and ends at the recording studio likely whatever he was told to do , including when needed , getting a package to someone.
    he wasn’t a full time delivery person with training as being such.
    he mentions the excitement of rubbing elbows with people like mick jagger, David Bowie. I’m imagining in that environment there’s an air of familiarity and people in this shared space don’t go around bowing to each other and aren’t saying yes sir , no ma’am etc. in the course of interactions, I’m guessing this atmosphere is much more familiar.
    he might’ve even been told , “go get this to Diana, [and hurry up she’s waiting for it] who knows , but for some reason something was being delivered to Diana in the middle of her recording so it must have been important for all the bother involved, or else just deliver it to her residence as would be normal.

    anyway, I read it as Bon Jovi treating Diana Ross inclusively , like one of the guys there , doing her thing like everybody else.
    he wasn’t trained to be an actual delivery guy, he was just doing his regular grunt work.
    he should have called her miss Ross and should have knocked and maybe he did repeatedly before finally going in .
    don’t know all speculation but certainly don’t see an evil young man here deserving of being treated like a lesser than.
    poor miss Ross had no idea she was scolding a one day superstar who could reveal the story so publicly. I’ve never heard a story of him treating someone this way.

    I hope whatever was in her package made her day go better.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Almost every celebrity has their sycophants. The fans who’s deferential fawning and obedience renders them incapable of comprehending their chosen one might just be less then perfect. We have two on here lol.
    Perhaps i might be considered one myself, as I witnessed her cussing out some kids in the park and did not intervene. It’s subjective.
    Not excusing such behaviour, but i have also heard some really nice recollections of her kindness and generosity so don’t consider her an outright bitch.
    We all know Diana can be volatile, so it’s a choice we make as to how that effects us.
    Go to social media Travis Scott discussions to see this phenomenon in action. What he did was far worse than Diana Ross cussing out a delivery guy who would go on to become famous.

    In case you haven't heard, there was a concert in Houston Friday night in which 8 people died and numerous others injured due to fans rushing the stage and security barriers. Many pleaded for the show to stop, but other than very brief pauses, Scott continued on with the show even with ambulances in the crowd so that trained medics could get to the victims. Horrifying.

    But some of Scott's die hard fans are defending him for continuing on with the show amidst the carnage and pleadings.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Diana Ross was not gifted "privilege." She was Black at a time when Black was overtly, purposefully and maliciously diminished by the majority culture. Diana [[and Berry) had to DEMAND that she was accorded respect. I can't imagine the racist insults -- something way beyond "microagressions" -- that she had to endure everyday interacting with those who considered her less-than.

    So a greasy-haired white dude blithely wanders into HER recording studio and calls her "Diana" like she's his maid?! What am I missing???
    Uh, Diana clearly has a privilege you and I probably don't have. She wasn't born with it, but she created it for herself. I agree about her position demanding respect. There are countless threads in this forum where we've all chimed in on what it must have been like to be a Black woman in the industry when Diana was taking the world by storm. And of course the fact that she's a woman, and specifically a Black woman, meant that she would get accused of being a "bitch" and all sorts of nasty things when her male counterparts, doing the exact same thing, probably would not be reduced to such things. In fact, there's a chance that Jon's view of what happened would've been entirely different- more comical and easily forgiven- if you replace Diana's name with Gene Simmons, for example.

    But none of that negates the fact that calling someone out of their name for calling you by your first name is bullshit. She could've checked him without crossing that line. We can have all the discussions in the world about microaggressions and privilege and racism, valid conversations, btw, which some folks would love to shut down [[they're banning books now for goodness sakes), but there's still a such thing as respect. Jon made the mistake of calling Diana "Diana". He didn't walk in and say "Wassup, bitch".

    She was wrong. The fact that fans don't see it that way is...icky.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Almost every celebrity has their sycophants. The fans who’s deferential fawning and obedience renders them incapable of comprehending their chosen one might just be less then perfect. We have two on here lol.
    Perhaps i might be considered one myself, as I witnessed her cussing out some kids in the park and did not intervene. It’s subjective.
    Not excusing such behaviour, but i have also heard some really nice recollections of her kindness and generosity so don’t consider her an outright bitch.
    We all know Diana can be volatile, so it’s a choice we make as to how that effects us.
    I'll just never understand loving someone so much that you're incapable of calling them out when they're wrong. I get in "trouble" in my personal life with some folks because they refuse to accept that I can love you and like you and still call you out on your shit. Some folks demand blind loyalty. That aint me. I'm going to stand on right no matter the cast of characters involved. Like I said before, Diana has brought me immense musical joy for my entire life, but she didn't get nailed to a cross for me. I don't owe her any loyalty when she's out of pocket. And true enough this story is old as dirt, so it's not like it happened yesterday. But you can still call a thing a thing.

    But this is our society these days in a nutshell. Everything is justifiable...I guess.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6,451
    Rep Power
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Go to social media Travis Scott discussions to see this phenomenon in action. What he did was far worse than Diana Ross cussing out a delivery guy who would go on to become famous.

    In case you haven't heard, there was a concert in Houston Friday night in which 8 people died and numerous others injured due to fans rushing the stage and security barriers. Many pleaded for the show to stop, but other than very brief pauses, Scott continued on with the show even with ambulances in the crowd so that trained medics could get to the victims. Horrifying.

    But some of Scott's die hard fans are defending him for continuing on with the show amidst the carnage and pleadings.
    No surprises. But what's the average age of Travis' fans? They're all nuts at that time of life. Most of Diana's fans are old as dust and water. They should know better.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I referenced this thread the other day when talking to someone about the current state of US society and Trumpism. The other person kept trying to make it all about the worship of Trump, but my POV was that Trumpism is just one of the many symptoms of our society that worships and gives special privileges to a select few, especially those with wealth and power. There's this need to elevate certain people to a position that is above the rest of us and if you don't bow down, they're perfectly okay with you being put down. This thread makes one thing perfectly clear: that Diana Ross could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, just like a certain somebody, and not lose any fans. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here learn of Jon's story and stop being a fan of Diana Ross. My Diana music collection aint going nowhere. But to read what she did and high five that...this thread has officially become one of the most disgusting threads I've had the displeasure of reading in this forum. It comes in third behind second place loser thread where someone defended blackface, and the most disgusting thread where a Black man in this forum disparaged Black children because they're Blackness automatically meant something negative. Not good company to be in, IMO.
    I think your comparison between Donald Trump and Diana Ross is disgusting and way off base. I think her most ardent fans defend her because she has been under such constant attack from her haters. Like what was the point of even starting this particular thread? It was just to stir up her base. But the fact of the matter is if you interviewed enough people you could find negative or nasty comments have been said about EVERY celebrity and not just Diana Ross. I'm sure if you interviewed enough folks in the NY/NJ/CT area you could find someone with a gripe about Jon Bon Jovi. But I guess it's more fun to take cheap shots at DR. I noticed in the telling of his story that Jon Bon Jovi never offered up an apology for entering a recording studio with a "Do Not Enter" sign on the door. I'm sure he would feel a certain way if someone had done that to him when he was recording.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    Rep Power
    158
    For all we know miss Ross had her do not enter sign up because she was taking a nap.
    im not picturing her in mid sentence of the singing of I WANT MUSCLES and Bon Jovi cutting in and saying hey Diana here’s your friggin package as he hurls it across the room at her.
    unless it was his very first hour there, I’m guessing he was a bit more in tune to studio proceedings than that.

    im now chuckling imagining the current champion of appreciation and THANK YOUs behaving this way.
    Bon Jovi: holy moly, I just made the bother of bringing you your special package; I’m not asking for a tip, but what’re the magic words ?? lol

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    133
    I dont assume that Jon Bon Jovi was some innocent babe-in-the-woods. He is a white guy from New Jersey. I don't put much stock in his choosing to characterize his behavior as innocuous and Ross' as outrageous and rude. Most of us can discern when we are being mistreated or disrespected. Allow Miss Ross the grace to determine the tone of her own emotional reaction to the world she lives in.

    I was in her presence once when she was on her cellphone seemingly reading someone for filth and I thought "wow, she's just as bad as they say." At the end of her conversatiom, she said "OK, Baby, I'll talk to you soon. I love you, Rhonda!" She was talking to her daughter blowing off steam about something that wasn't going right -- as all human beings are wont to do [and I was invading her privacy].

    If in that moment she thought Jon Bon Jovi was a moron, I'll trust her judgment over his version of the story -- one calculated to depict her in an unflattering light.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I dont assume that Jon Bon Jovi was some innocent babe-in-the-woods. He is a white guy from New Jersey. I don't put much stock in his choosing to characterize his behavior as innocuous and Ross' as outrageous and rude. Most of us can discern when we are being mistreated or disrespected. Allow Miss Ross the grace to determine the tone of her own emotional reaction to the world she lives in.

    I was in her presence once when she was on her cellphone seemingly reading someone for filth and I thought "wow, she's just as bad as they say." At the end of her conversatiom, she said "OK, Baby, I'll talk to you soon. I love you, Rhonda!" She was talking to her daughter blowing off steam about something that wasn't going right -- as all human beings are wont to do [and I was invading her privacy].

    If in that moment she thought Jon Bon Jovi was a moron, I'll trust her judgment over his version of the story -- one calculated to depict her in an unflattering light.
    From that perspective, Miss Ross was too nice by just cussing him out. If there was a hot pot of coffee brewing in the studio she should have then thrown the contents of the coffee pot in Bon Jovi's face. Then ordered her security detail to take him outside and give him a beating until he passed out, then they should have put his unconscious body in the trunk of a car and dumped his body in the Meadowlands and let him take care of himself once he returns to consciousness. That's the least one should expect for not respecting Diana Ross.

    Likewise for the kids Ollie saw Diana Ross verbally abusing. After cussing them out she should have spanked them or beat them over the head with a rock until they were covered in blood. Miss Ross must be respected at all times.

    And if anyone who disrespects and feels the wrath of Miss Ross dies in the process, so be it. I'm sure the courts will let her off on account of self defense and justifiable homicide. Miss Ross must be respected at all times and woe to anyone who doesn't meet her standard for respect.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    68
    I don't agree that Diana's above any criticism for us, hardcore fans.

    We know she's human and made mistakes as any normal person does. But we love her with all her complexities.

    I don't think she had a healthy relationship with power and I do think Diana herself recognizes that. She was over-the-top with some demands and ways of being. But I also think she now understands why she acted the way she did.

    Let's not forget Diana paid a dear price for her choices, good and bad. She paid her dues. She had extreme highs and extreme lows. Many people with questionable intentions made huge money exploring her life story, her temper and her mistakes. She even fell from grace for a brief period of time, and put herself back together with her head held up. And I'm certain that it was a time when she questioned what really mattered in life, career and relationships. I so admire her for putting herself back together after everything she went through.

    So let's now celebrate this goddess, this survivor, this great superstar, this great pioneer, this amazingly beautiful woman and this great mother too. She is one in a million.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 11-08-2021 at 06:26 PM.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,869
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    You are missing nothing, Guy. In fact, you state it perfectly. But, as we know, there are The Trolls who dedicate their lives to regurgitating anything about Diana Ross that they can, even decades-old stories like these.
    Your getting sloppy. You remembered ‘The usual Trolls, but forgot to mention the Diana haters.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    29
    I wonder if Miss Ross ever had a moment like this with someone like Jon Bon Jovi, or someone else who didn't give her due deference?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.