[REMOVE ADS]

"Love Aint Love" "Forever Faithful" At 53

On this day 53 years ago, Flo's second and final solo single, "Love Aint Love" was released. Considered by many to be the superior of the two single releases she had, I tend to agree, although I'm not as negative on "It Doesn't Matter" as some others are. The flipside "Forever Faithful" is, IMO, equally as good, and had it not been the B side, and had the relationship between Flo and ABC continued, I think it would've made a worthy third single.

"Love Aint Love" was written by Van McCoy, while "Forever Faithful" was written by Robert Bateman and James Wicker. Both were produced by Bateman, who was not only a former Motowner from the early days, but supposedly was the Motowner who caught the Primettes' talent contest win and was present during their audition with Motown. Flo's relationship with George Kerr was a rocky one. Apparently her relationship with Robert was better and the tunes they did together are IMO more of a Flo fit. I think he understood her voice better than George did. I think "Love" had the potential to be a fairly modest hit. I think "Forever" had the potential to do even better. Of the two songs I prefer "Forever Faithful" over "Love Aint Love".

Florence sounds good on both. Her voice is strong, but I feel like she drops the ball during the verses on "Love" but picks it up on the chorus. I love her vocal on "Forever". She's in good form throughout it. Apparently Flo and Bateman only teamed up for two or three cuts. Wish they had explored more.

Thoughts on this single? I've seen where "Love Aint Love" actually made some radio playlists at the time. Anyone ever hear it on the radio? Sucks that this is the last we'd hear of Flo, musically, but it's a pretty good "farewell" I think.

Here's one of Mosogotam's extended versions, this time of "Love Aint Love".

I heard "love Aint love" for the first time a few months back, I think its great, a very good catchy chorus that stays in your head afterwards - always a good sign for a potential hit song.
    My only quibble is its length - it fades too quickly and IMO it needs the chorus repeated again before the fade.
    I was surprised how good it was because in the days of lime wire i downloaded a selection of Flo solo songs from the spectrum release and I was very underwhelmed by the tracks.
    Love Aint Love could have been a hit.

Who were the background singers on these songs? Flo sounds good on both songs, but I wish the recordings had less of the background singers singing behind and with her so she could stand out more.

Is it me, but does Love Ain't Love sound a bit like Only Your Love Can Save Me by The Marvelettes?

Flo is definitely singing background on "Forever Faithful". I do prefer that one over "Love Ain't Love".

I can hear Jean Terrell singing Love aint Love...sounds like something that would have fit quite well on Right On.

"Love Ain't Love" is cute and catchy, and might have been a hit.....a few years earlier. It has a very 1964-1966 feel to it. By 1968, "a bell ain't a bell until you ring it" seems dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Is it me, but does Love Ain't Love sound a bit like Only Your Love Can Save Me by The Marvelettes?

it’s a giant stretch, LOL, but I do here a very slight commonality in the verse. I wish love aint love was as technically advanced as Only sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    On this day 53 years ago, Flo's second and final solo single, "Love Aint Love" was released. Considered by many to be the superior of the two single releases she had, I tend to agree, although I'm not as negative on "It Doesn't Matter" as some others are. The flipside "Forever Faithful" is, IMO, equally as good, and had it not been the B side, and had the relationship between Flo and ABC continued, I think it would've made a worthy third single.

"Love Aint Love" was written by Van McCoy, while "Forever Faithful" was written by Robert Bateman and James Wicker. Both were produced by Bateman, who was not only a former Motowner from the early days, but supposedly was the Motowner who caught the Primettes' talent contest win and was present during their audition with Motown. Flo's relationship with George Kerr was a rocky one. Apparently her relationship with Robert was better and the tunes they did together are IMO more of a Flo fit. I think he understood her voice better than George did. I think "Love" had the potential to be a fairly modest hit. I think "Forever" had the potential to do even better. Of the two songs I prefer "Forever Faithful" over "Love Aint Love".

Florence sounds good on both. Her voice is strong, but I feel like she drops the ball during the verses on "Love" but picks it up on the chorus. I love her vocal on "Forever". She's in good form throughout it. Apparently Flo and Bateman only teamed up for two or three cuts. Wish they had explored more.

Thoughts on this single? I've seen where "Love Aint Love" actually made some radio playlists at the time. Anyone ever hear it on the radio? Sucks that this is the last we'd hear of Flo, musically, but it's a pretty good "farewell" I think.

I think if they cleaned up love ain’t love and recorded it on better equipment, it might’ve stand a better chance because I agree it’s a pretty good record underneath it all. I don’t like the string arrangement at the whole thing sounds so muffled and like it was recorded through a pair of gym socks.

I don’t know if you’d heard this take of it doesn’t matter how I say it, but I love her vocal on this I prefer this version to the original except for the out of control strings which are absolutely ludicrous. I can’t imagine that it was ever their intention to record it like that they must’ve had some mic turned way up for something crazy going on. But I prefer the arrangement other than that and the vocal to the one that was used she’s adorable on this.
    it’s a shame that all of her work at ABC has been lost, I would be interested in hearing every single outtake.

https://youtu.be/RzdxmfGJ67w

Name:  flo 1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  10.0 KB

Theres a copy of the single in pic sleeve currently on E Bay for $ 47.

I first heard Florence Ballard's "Love Ain't Love" & "Forever Faithfull" at a friend's place back in the '80s and I loved both of them right away. It's a shame she didn't get to do more songs like that and it's too bad that she never got any airplay [at least where I lived] for those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I heard "love Aint love" for the first time a few months back, I think its great, a very good catchy chorus that stays in your head afterwards - always a good sign for a potential hit song.
    My only quibble is its length - it fades too quickly and IMO it needs the chorus repeated again before the fade.
    I was surprised how good it was because in the days of lime wire i downloaded a selection of Flo solo songs from the spectrum release and I was very underwhelmed by the tracks.
    Love Aint Love could have been a hit.
    Lime Wire...the days of downloading music and viruses. Can't say I miss it.

Who were the background singers on these songs? Flo sounds good on both songs, but I wish the recordings had less of the background singers singing behind and with her so she could stand out more.
    I don't know who they are, but I've never thought they were too prominent. The ladies who backed her up on the Kerr recordings had a beautiful sound. Even Flo mentioned how good they were. But I don't think they've ever been identified either.

Ever so slight in the track, but if it's not pointed out, no one would recognize it on their own. Well except you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Flo is definitely singing background on "Forever Faithful". I do prefer that one over "Love Ain't Love".
    I had to go back and listen. I think you're right. George Kerr said that one of the issues he and Flo had was that he wanted her to sing backup on her recordings. She objected. So I had no reason to believe that she would do it for Robert. But I'm pretty sure you're right, that she is back there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I think if they cleaned up love ain’t love and recorded it on better equipment, it might’ve stand a better chance because I agree it’s a pretty good record underneath it all. I don’t like the string arrangement at the whole thing sounds so muffled and like it was recorded through a pair of gym socks.

I don’t know if you’d heard this take of it doesn’t matter how I say it, but I love her vocal on this I prefer this version to the original except for the out of control strings which are absolutely ludicrous. I can’t imagine that it was ever their intention to record it like that they must’ve had some mic turned way up for something crazy going on. But I prefer the arrangement other than that and the vocal to the one that was used she’s adorable on this.
    it’s a shame that all of her work at ABC has been lost, I would be interested in hearing every single outtake.

https://youtu.be/RzdxmfGJ67w
    I agree about "Love Aint Love". I don't know whether it's the equipment or just a poor mix. I don't think I've ever heard it with the clarity of some of the other tracks.

I have that alternate take of "It Doesn't Matter" on a cassette. I didn't realize someone had posted it to Youtube. I reference that take with "It Doesn't Matter" comes up because once you get past the poor quality of the audio, Flo's vocal is way better than the single version. On the single version it's clear that she was directed to give it more pop. The alternate is Flo being Flo. If I recall correctly there's another alternate take of it, but I can't remember what direction she went in. I also have alternates of "My Heart". There are other alternate vocals that exist, such as "Everything Wonderful" and "Like You Babe", but I don't have them.

Flo's masters are listed on the Universal fire list, but that makes no sense to me. Flo's masters are owned by Motown. Motown's masters were untouched in the fire because apparently they are housed separately. Why would Flo's be housed separately than Motown's other holdings?

I believe the stereo mix sounds better that the mono mixes available on youtube.

I loved both of these tracks ! They are such fun tracks to listen to. I was they would've promoted these in the same way they did "It Doesn't Matter How I Saw It", they had soo much potential.