[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reviews of Thank You album

As Thank You is coming out Friday, I figure reviews should start appearing.

Here is a largely positive review. Hopefully this thread can include other reviews as they appear and members can post in this thread.

https://riffmagazine.com/album-revie...oss-thank-you/

Here's another. Scroll down to the second review under discussion.

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/ar...fallow-3440197

Excellent. thanks so much for posting!

Here's another. Not a good review, though the critic respects Ross' legacy.

https://www.popmatters.com/diane-ross-thank-you-review

It seem like a fair review. Thanks for posting it.

review from a Dutch newspaper this morning; the number of stars will give an indication of his opinion: very dissapointed

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  8.0 KB

I can;t get that one large enough to read.

I saw a four-star review of the album by Adam Mattera for, I believe, ECHOES? But I haven't been able to find it online.

Sorry Marc, I can't read a single word! Is there a link to the review or newspaper name?

Some mixed reviews so far, with flower power lyrics seeming to be a bit of a sticking point. I can’t wait to hear the whole album.

Let's be honest, the reviews are mostly underwhelming.

Looks like the best two tracks were the first released as "singles".

This may seem contradictory - I love Time To Call yet I'm also disappointed in it too - it needs a big chorus and she almost loses her voice at times.

It is a great album. I am impressed and pleasantly surprised. Bravo Diana!
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-05-2021 at 08:30 AM.

There has been posts on SDF about the "clash" with Abba's new album. Well, that is getting mixed reviews too as per this on the BBC website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59175090

At the end of the day, like car tests etc. it's down to your own likes and dislikes as to what you think and reviewers will not view Diana's new album through your ears.

Lovely and smart review from Pitchfork
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...oss-thank-you/

None of the reviews was truly negative, but I just read one that is over the top negative. Or maybe just constructive criticism. I am a Diana fan, so don't bite my head off. Does he make any valid points?

We waited eons for this? New Diana album is colossal disappointment

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2021...isappointment/

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    None of the reviews was truly negative, but I just read one that is over the top negative. Or maybe just constructive criticism. I am a Diana fan, so don't bite my head off. Does he make any valid points?

There is a much worse UK review of the album featured in the Guardian. Again they mention weak ballads and insipid lyrics.
    Other then not liking the up-tempo numbers, notably “Tomorrow” i actually agree with most of his comments. He’s clearly not a Diana hater as apart from disliking “Thank You” he is extremely complementary of her career.
    I think the album is going to be like marmite. A personal playlist seems the only answer.

I think it's a fair enough review - he's obviously not a Diana hater he's just givng an honest opinion.

I think mostly the best tracks were those released as singles - I'm not including All Is Well, let's just forget about it, whoever thought it was worthy of promoting the album is nuts.

My personal favourite track is Time To Call.

Sorry folks, I like The Answer's Always Love but don't think Diana has done a good version of it.

TBH Diana's albums are generally inconsistent - the only two which I think have hardly a dud track on them are The Force Behind The Power and To Love Again [[judged on the quality of the music therein not the fact that many of the tracks had been released previously).

And a few of her RCA albums have a fair number of great songs.

Generally speaking the reviews overall have been average.

In the UK it looks like being another Take Me Higher - a high first week entry and then a quick disappearance.

I wasn't even expecting it to go top 10, I think we have Radio2 to thank for that.

Most of the sales are frontloaded and the album will plummet next week.

On Tuesday for example the album sold 450 [[yes you did read that right four hundred and fifty copies) throughout the UK.

Apart from a few artists album sales are generally at an all time low in the UK and although Thank You will be top 10 it will have disappointing figures of around 7/8k.
    Last edited by florence; 11-12-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Let's be honest, the reviews are mostly underwhelming.

Looks like the best two tracks were the first released as "singles".

This may seem contradictory - I love Time To Call yet I'm also disappointed in it too - it needs a big chorus and she almost loses her voice at times.
    Actually, Florence, it seems to me that most of the reviews are quite positive. But I haven't, and won't, perform any sort of statistical survey. The fans are liking the album and this fan is loving it!

Valid points? I'd have to say no, though anyone is welcome to express personal viewpoints. In fact, the reviewer basically invalidates his own theory by establishing as his base reference that Diana has not had a 'good' album in decades and that her recorded output has historically been variable. With that as his starting point, why would he, logically speaking, have expected the new album to be anything other than a [his words) 'colossal disappointment'? [Not to mention that 'we' didn't wait 'eons' for TY. Most fans were not expecting a new lp ever again, and we really only waited about a year [maybe less) for TY from its first rumors to its actual release). Maybe the reviewer is a Gen-Z'er and confusing the Diana album with that of ABBA?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-12-2021 at 09:39 AM. Reason: The dreaded bracket issue!

I think it is an appropriate and accurate review. I listened to the cd only once on YouTube and found it good. But, nothing taps on the cd me on the shoulder to hear it again. Once was enough.

The main problem was it was all about the lyrics/message. Somehow the musicality was forgotten. And, the lyrics/message are not subtle, they smack you in the face. It takes real sophistication to write in a more subtle way. Take for example the song about the chair and the pillow. Good grief ….

I am surprised the lyrics did not include “let me be your socks so I can tickle your feet all day” or let me be your toothbrush so I can brighten your smile, or let me be your underwear so I can hold my favorite part of you …..

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The main problem was it was all about the lyrics/message... And, the lyrics/message are not subtle, they smack you in the face. It takes real sophistication to write in a more subtle way. Take for example the song about the chair and the pillow. Good grief ….

I am surprised the lyrics did not include “let me be your socks so I can tickle your feet all day” or let me be your toothbrush so I can brighten your smile, or let me be your underwear so I can hold my favorite part of you …..
    This is too funny. And the underwear part reminds me of something that Prince Charles actually said years ago to Camilla while still married to Diane.

Charles said he wanted to be Camilla's tampon:

Charles: "Oh god. I'll just live inside your trousers or something. It would be much easier!"

Diana made this album as a thank you to her fans and most of her fans appreciate it. So she accomplished what she set out to do.

The headline for the Washington Blade review doesn't really match or line up with the review. Bear in mind that often times it's the editor who writes the headline, not the actual critic and the Blade may have been going for something sensational to get clicks. And it may have worked as that review has had more discussion than any other on this thread.

The lyrics are the weak link on the album. I get why some don't care for it. And generally I don't go for them either, but Diana's sheer heartfelt conviction as she sings those words won me over and I quite like the album, much to my surprise.

That being said, "Just in Case" is my favorite song on the album because the words and story being told and emotions conveyed strike me as the most nuanced. It's a song about unrequited love, but being content settling for that. That's not Hallmark greeting card material.

I think it is an appropriate and accurate review. I listened to the cd only once on YouTube and found it good. But, nothing taps on the cd me on the shoulder to hear it again. Once was enough.

The main problem was it was all about the lyrics/message. Somehow the musicality was forgotten. And, the lyrics/message are not subtle, they smack you in the face. It takes real sophistication to write in a more subtle way. Take for example the song about the chair and the pillow. Good grief ….

Or perhaps instead of writing a song along those lines Diana could have just covered "I Wish I Were Your Mirror" by JMC?

Certainly, as we grow older, we look back at life and reconsider events. We also see what is currently happening through very different eyes. It seems to me that Diana wanted to release music that was positive, and appreciative of her life. She has certainly done that. Some of the lyrics are the weak point of the album, but the sentiments are genuine, and Diana is engaged with all of them. I am truly enjoying this recording because it seems Ms. Ross has put her personal stamp on this project. Even the few songs that I would consider "weaker" are certainly listenable and have something positive to offer. I think If The World Just Danced is one of her best dance tunes. Nobody has singled out Tomorrow, but I play that over and over. I am very pleased with the release, and think it will remain in rotation for a long while.
    Last edited by thommg; 11-12-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Last night when I played the album, Tomorrow really jumped out at me. That's a good song.

Thanks for providing me with a good chuckle Circa. There is enough good stuff on the album to make it worthwhile, it’s just those bloody twee lyrics on certain songs that sadly let the album down badly.
    I could really get into the quaintly old fashioned and grandiose “Beautiful Love” If it weren’t for those soapy lyrics. I think it one of her best vocals on the album.
    I agree with you regarding the Chair and pillow lines. They leave a lasting impression lol.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 11-12-2021 at 01:33 PM.

I think it's a fair enough review - he's obviously not a Diana hater he's just givng an honest opinion.

I think mostly the best tracks were those released as singles - I'm not including All Is Well, let's just forget about it, whoever thought it was worthy of promoting the album is nuts.

Sorry folks, I like The Answer's Always Love but don't think Diana has done a good version of it.

TBH Diana's albums are generally inconsistent - the only two which I think have hardly a dud track on them are The Force Behind The Power and To Love Again [[judged on the quality of the music therein not the fact that many of the tracks had been released previously).

In the UK it looks like being another Take Me Higher - a high first week entry and then a quick disappearance.

I wasn't even expecting it to go top 10, I think we have Radio2 to thank for that.

On Tuesday for example the album sold 450 [[yes you did read that right four hundred and fifty copies) throughout the UK.

Apart from a few artists album sales are generally at an all time low in the UK and although Thank You will be top 10 it will have disappointing figures of around 7/8k.
    Many thanks to you for providing all the statistical info Florence. It makes for rather interesting reading.
    I had really hoped the album might do reasonably well in the UK, but alas. Perhaps it’s fate dictates this really will be her last album.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Certainly, as we grow older, we look back at life and reconsider events. We also see what is currently happening through very different eyes. It seems to me that Diana wanted to release music that was positive, and appreciative of her life. She has certainly done that. Some of the lyrics are the weak point of the album, but the sentiments are genuine, and Diana is engaged with all of them. I am truly enjoying this recording because it seems Ms. Ross has put her personal stamp on this project. Even the few songs that I would consider "weaker" are certainly listenable and have something positive to offer. I think If The World Just Danced is one of her best dance tunes. Nobody has singled out Tomorrow, but I play that over and over. I am very pleased with the release, and think it will remain in rotation for a long while.
    A 'Bravo!' all around on your each and every point, Thommg! I also love the fact that it's such a personal lp from our girl. Glad you are liking it as much as I am. Be well!

I agree, the reviews, particularly in the UK have been overall pretty lukewarm.
    Regarding consistent albums, i would add to that list Diana Ross 70, Surrender, LSTB, Touch Me In The Morning, The Boss, diana and Take Me Higher.
    I’m not quite sure yet just where i would rate “Thank You”.

I’m sure most of the reviews are from people who listen to the songs only for a couple of seconds on the phone not a great stereo system that should be used, When this is played on a proper sound system it actually sounds fantastic so there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree, the reviews, particularly in the UK have been overall pretty lukewarm.
    Regarding consistent albums, i would add to that list Diana Ross 70, Surrender, LSTB, Touch Me In The Morning, The Boss, diana and Take Me Higher.
    I’m not quite sure yet just where i would rate “Thank You”.
    There you go - we all have our personal faves.

LSTB while appreciating the tremendous performance Diana gave leaves me cold as does diana except for Upside Down.

Diana Ross 70 IS one of the better ones and the first half of Touch Me is sensational unfortunately once she goes into the Baby tracks it loses me!

does anyone know how the Eric Krupper remixs are doing. after returning Diana to 4 #1s with his remixs, i was hoping ,one of the new remixs would shoot up to the top, but i have not heard anything

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    I’m sure most of the reviews are from people who listen to the songs only for a couple of seconds on the phone not a great stereo system that should be used, When this is played on a proper sound system it actually sounds fantastic so there you go
    I agree, a good sound system makes the world of difference to one’s listening pleasure.

I think the album is pretty good.

I'd say "Thank You" is probably the most Motown-like of all the tracks, with a lot of disco in it too. "If The World Just Danced" surprised me with how modern it sounds… a great club song. And the lyrics are actually really quite good!

"Come Together" is great [[awesome backing vocals), and very uplifting!! I really like "Tomorrow" as well… funky and fun!!!!!!!!

"Time To Call" and "Just In Case" are both really nice, and "The Answer's Always Love" is very nice too, some classic Diana ballads in my opinion.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-14-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I think the album is pretty good.

I'd say "Thank You" is probably the most Motown-like of all the tracks, with a lot of disco in it too. "If The World Just Danced" surprised me with how modern it sounds… a great club song. And the lyrics are actually really quite good!

"Come Together" is great [[awesome backing vocals), and very uplifting!! I really like "Tomorrow" as well… funky and fun!!!!!!!!

"Time To Call" and "Just In Case" are both really nice, and "The Answer's Always Love" is very nice too, some classic Diana ballads in my opinion.
    I'm glad to see you are liking the album, Tom! This is your first new-Diana-new-material album ever, I think. I'm loving it and your take on the name-checked songs shows good taste

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    does anyone know how the Eric Krupper remixs are doing. after returning Diana to 4 #1s with his remixs, i was hoping ,one of the new remixs would shoot up to the top, but i have not heard anything
    The dance club play chart was suspended due to COVID in March 2020 and has not yet resumed. https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...rily-suspended

For me, this is probably the most balanced review of the album i have yet to read.
    Not necessarily one for the every song is perfect brigade, but I agree in that some of the songs need to be savoured a few times to be fully appreciated.