[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Lollipops

The Lollipops

I had never seen a pic of the group before. Is this the group that recorded for Motown? I wonder if they recorded enough material for an album? What happened to them?

I'm pretty sure that image is of the Lollipops that recorded for RCA, which is a different group than the Motown/Impact group.

I know that one member of the Motown Lollipops was Arenita Walker, who continued to work as a songwriter into the 70s mostly on Don Davis productions.

The picture I have seen is of a foursome. IMHO their output was much superior to that of the 70`s Supremes.

I'm assuming this is the group. It'd be cool if they'd release their material onto one
    CD....if there's enough? Thank you Roger and nsoule for your input.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  21.1 KB
    When I was going through The Motown Vaults during The 1970s, we found about 6 cuts by Harry Balk's Lollipops, and 2 of those were released on their Gordy single. There have been many unreleased recordings found since then that I hadn't before seen. So, I can't rule out the possibility that there might be 10, or so, altogether. If their 4 Impact and Inferno 45 cuts were added, there would be enough for a small CD.

We`ve had 7 tracks released through several Motown issues and I believe that there are 2 more unreleased " Love Is The Only Answer" and "Tomorrow`s Child" there is also Impact 1021 "Step Aside Baby" cw "Loving Good Feeling" which could be be prior to Harry coming to Motown. Robb will be able to verify this last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    We`ve had 7 tracks released through several Motown issues and I believe that there are 2 more unreleased " Love Is The Only Answer" and "Tomorrow`s Child" there is also Impact 1021 "Step Aside Baby" cw "Loving Good Feeling" which could be be prior to Harry coming to Motown. Robb will be able to verify this last bit.
Views: 709
    "Love Is The Only Answer" was released on RCA, by The Lollipops group from New York/New Jersey Area. It was a Jobete Music Co. - written song, whose demo acetate was sung by a New York group or singer, like The Dolls. I think it would be such an extreme improbable coincidence if a Motown-signed group in Detroit, who just happened to have the same exact group name, 3 or 4 years later, sang the song that was recorded and distributed commercially, and even charted, by a group with the same name. That is too ridiculous! Clearly, there was confusion based on the group name. Someone likely found the un-credited Jobete acetate of "Love Is The Answer", and assumed that it was sung by Harry Balk's Impact/Inferno/Gordy Lollipops, because they had remembered seeing some listing of the NY RCA release, but forgot, or never knew that it was released on RCA, rather than a Motown label. Or, they saw a list of NY Jobete songs, and which artists/groups were slated for recording them, and that list included the non-Motown artists whose producers had paid for the rights to record them.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

I had never seen a pic of the group before. Is this the group that recorded for Motown? I wonder if they recorded enough material for an album? What happened to them?
    It is strange that if this is the group that recorded for RCA and not Motown, that the photo came from the studio of the man who did all the mid-1960s photographs of the various Motown artists. James Kriegsmann’s work is so much in the style of Hollywood’s golden age that it would be easily identified even if it were not for his logo which is so familiar to the Motown fans. But I know nothing about this group, so I’ll defer to the experts on whether or not this is the group that recorded for Motown or another label.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

I'm assuming this is the group. It'd be cool if they'd release their material onto one
    CD....if there's enough? Thank you Roger and nsoule for your input.
    This is the picture that is included in the Complete Motown Singles for the group.

Keith Hughes in the notations for "Love & Affection More Motown Girls" says the Lollipops "cut 9 tracks at Motown in 1969-1970", so Robb wasn't too far off in his conjecture..

Thanks Robb, If of any help, here is the RCA 45
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXa7wiOjUE

Always puzzled about this one as the writer, the arranger and the producer I don't think had anything to do with Motown? it can only be as Robb mentions it would have been the original acetate that determined it being "Jobete"?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Tomorrow's Child - Terry Johnson looks to have overdubbed any vocals recorded by the Lollipops and Love Is The Only Answer although a Jobete track was an RCA release. There have been 8 releases in total and with Tomorrow's Child being the 9th is about the lot - although as I've always said never say never when it comes to Motown, although it does pretty much look like it is..

"There Was"

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 737
    When I was going through The Motown Vaults during The 1970s, we found about 6 cuts by Harry Balk's Lollipops, and 2 of those were released on their Gordy single. There have been many unreleased recordings found since then that I hadn't before seen. So, I can't rule out the possibility that there might be 10, or so, altogether. If their 4 Impact and Inferno 45 cuts were added, there would be enough for a small CD.
    Of course, I meant "VIP single", as opposed to "Gordy single".