[REMOVE ADS]

Can We Please Have A Discussion About Laura Lee?

It is such a tragic that this amazing talent Laura Lee was never big, this woman would have caused a big movement for women in music if she was a big star in the late 1960s. I just don't know what happened, I don't think we'll never know :'[[

Lover More Than Pride is a stone cold "lost" classic in my opinion. What do you all think of Laura Lee?

Discuss!
    Last edited by MichaelSherry59; 10-29-2021 at 11:59 PM.

I LOVE my Laura Lee and have a few times in the past decades dropped a post or two about the lady. Lee's Invictus/Hot Wax lps are superb and worthy of mention in our 'string of classic lp's' thread. I regret that I am not familiar with LMTP which, apparently, was issued on my beloved Cadet label. I'll seek it out right now.

Lee had a look, voice and viewpoint that was perfect for the Women's Lib era but did not entirely break through. Who knows why, other than not everyone who is immensely talented gets to reach their audience. Methinks that the dissolution of Hot Wax/Invictus had something to do with Lee's ultimate fizzle, and as well I recall she seemed to have a tad o' prickly personality. The unedited 'Since I Fell For You' is a [[borrowing your phrase) stone cold classic and always worth revisiting. I can so clearly recall hearing both the full-length and edited version on AM radio and it just CUT through the airways. I'm glad to see another LL fan here!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I LOVE my Laura Lee and have a few times in the past decades dropped a post or two about the lady. Lee's Invictus/Hot Wax lps are superb and worthy of mention in our 'string of classic lp's' thread. I regret that I am not familiar with LMTP which, apparently, was issued on my beloved Cadet label. I'll seek it out right now.

Lee had a look, voice and viewpoint that was perfect for the Women's Lib era but did not entirely break through. Who knows why, other than not everyone who is immensely talented gets to reach their audience. Methinks that the dissolution of Hot Wax/Invictus had something to do with Lee's ultimate fizzle, and as well I recall she seemed to have a tad o' prickly personality. The unedited 'Since I Fell For You' is a [[borrowing your phrase) stone cold classic and always worth revisiting. I can so clearly recall hearing both the full-length and edited version on AM radio and it just CUT through the airways. I'm glad to see another LL fan here!
    You have to check out Love More Than Pride, it is incredible. It was released in 1972 but the songs were recorded between 1968-1969, which... Is very strange lol but it is incredible.

Another fan here. I LOVED "You've Got to Save Me."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    It is such a tragic that this amazing talent Laura Lee was never big, this woman would have caused a big movement for women in music if she was a big star in the late 1960s. I just don't know what happened, I don't think we'll never know :'[[

Lover More Than Pride is a stone cold "lost" classic in my opinion. What do you all think of Laura Lee?

Discuss!
    Sure! I first heard of Laura Lee in 1971 when she hit with "Women's Love Rights" [and her subsequent recordings on Hot Wax]. And yes, she has one of the great voices in Soul Music and her early '70s recordings were a perfect fit for the rising 'women's lib movement' [as well as the stylistic movement set off by Aretha Franklin's late '60s hits]. I believe that she would've had a longer time the spotlight if it wasn't for the collapse of Invictus/Hot Wax Records in the mid '70s.

Really welcome this thread for more to appreciatte the incredible Chess album that was issued in 1972, one of my favourite albums. [[Oh and her complete HotWax outputs)

Castle Music in 2002 also issued Her complete "HotWax" recordings on a double CD, well worth a copy!

Attachment 19407
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 10-30-2021 at 05:22 AM. Reason: error

It is such a tragic that this amazing talent Laura Lee was never big, this woman would have caused a big movement for women in music if she was a big star in the late 1960s. I just don't know what happened, I don't think we'll never know iscuss!
    I've just looked up Laura Lee on Wikipedia and found out that after she left Invictus/Hot Wax, she signed with Ariola Records [where she released the single "Love's Got Me Tired" in 1976]. Laura Lee became seriously ill after that and left the music business for several years. Laura recorded a Gospel LP, Jesus Is The Light of My Life [on which she collaborated with Al Green] in 1984. By 1990, she would make a full recovery from her illness and became ordained as a minister [and continues to record Gospel Music].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-30-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Really welcome this thread for more to appreciatte the incredible Chess album that was issued in 1972, one of my favourite albums. [[Oh and her complete HotWax outputs)

Castle Music in 2002 also issued Her complete "HotWax" recordings on a double CD, well worth a copy!

Attachment 19407
    I have this and it's a great collection of Laura Lee's '70s work on Hot Wax.

Five of her rarities on YouTube ! if you click on Laura Lee Topic all of her albums are also uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZR-...43hvQk&index=1

Let's not forget her initial association with Ric Tic. In 1966 she had one single, RT 111,
    To Win Your Heart b/w So Will I. I haven't listened to this for ages, so I will attempt to
    listen to it again.

As others have mentioned, her cd of her complete Hot Wax recordings is a treasure that I play often. I also have at least one of her gospel albums but I don't remember listening to it. Maybe it is time to pull it out.

What is everyone's favourite Laura Lee album? For me is Love More Than Pride [[an album that was strangely released in the early 1970s but the songs were recorded between 1968-1969 lol)

What is everyone's favourite Laura Lee album? For me is Love More Than Pride [[an album that was strangely released in the early 1970s but the songs were recorded between 1968-1969 lol)
    My favorite album by Laura Lee is Women's Love Rights, her first for Hot Wax. While I've never listened to the Love More Than Pride set, I'm sure it came out in order to capitalize on the success Laura had in the early '70s. My other favorites by her are "Dirty Man", "Since I Fell For You", "Rip Off", & "I'll Catch You When You Fall".

We've talked about Laura Lee before on the forum so I didn't really want to revisit the subject but being that I've always been such a fan of hers it's kind of hard for me to read
    some things here and say nothing...What happened with her? Life. As of this point she's
    still with us. Earlier, she had some hard fought for successes and in between she had her
    battle with cancer. She won fortunately still when she returned it was usually Gospel only.
    As she saw fit due to her experience. In between all of that too, was her encounters and
    influence of Al Green. A relationship revisited in at least one of his biographies. I've never
    heard of her being especially difficult but even Al had to know Laura Lee was no fool...
    Suggested reading...

https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover

I would have to pick Women's Love Rights as my favorite Laura Lee lp but I find them all strong.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    We've talked about Laura Lee before on the forum so I didn't really want to revisit the subject but being that I've always been such a fan of hers it's kind of hard for me to read
    some things here and say nothing...What happened with her? Life. As of this point she's
    still with us. Earlier, she had some hard fought for successes and in between she had her
    battle with cancer. She won fortunately still when she returned it was usually Gospel only.
    As she saw fit due to her experience. In between all of that too, was her encounters and
    influence of Al Green. A relationship revisited in at least one of his biographies. I've never
    heard of her being especially difficult but even Al had to know Laura Lee was no fool...
    Suggested reading...

https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover
    I had not known that Laura and Al were a thing. Unfortunately, one less reason to admire Al.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I had not known that Laura and Al were a thing. Unfortunately, one less reason to admire Al.
    Damn... What happened with Al Green?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsherry59 View Post
    detroit 9000!!!!

I have loved Laura Lee since I bought her first record "Dirty Man" 1967, she had some other really good records on Chess like "Uptight-Good Man" and her version of "What a Man". Then I really loved her first for Hot Wax "Wedlock is a Padlock" what a killer record.One of my faves is "I Don't Want Nothing Old [[But Money)"which was a B sideAll her Hot Wax stuff is GREAT. Too Bad Invictus/Hot Wax were kinda lax in promotions/fiances.

Laura was discussed in some detail on the forum many years ago. Click on link for the discussion....

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/...tml?1052995813

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Laura was discussed in some detail on the forum many years ago. Click on link for the discussion....

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/...tml?1052995813
    That was in a lot more detail than I remember, not to mention further back. Thank you
    VERY much for finding it. I'd overlooked or forgotten some of her work...Thanks again, Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Let's not forget her initial association with Ric Tic. In 1966 she had one single, RT 111,
    To Win Your Heart b/w So Will I. I haven't listened to this for ages, so I will attempt to
    listen to it again.
    Just a reminder that "To Win Your Heart" was the vocal version of the San Remo Strings "Festival Time".

I also liked "Wanted, Lover, No Experience Necessary" on Cadet, which foreshadowed the Honey Cone's "Want Ads".

Laura Lee is among my favorite HDH Invictus/Hot Wax artists. Outstanding tracks for me are Since I Fell For You, Crumbs Off The Table, Don't Leave Me Starving For Your Love, [[If You Want To Try Love Again) Remember Me, and I'll Catch You When You Fall. I eagerly looked forward to each of her HDH album releases as much as I welcomed Freda Payne's and Honey Cone's.

I had forgotten about "Sat-Is-Faction" by Laura Lee, written by Mary Wells & Cecil Womack & produced by Don Davis in about'78-'79 on the Fantasy label. I think you can listen to it on youtube, its pretty good.

I have the Hot Wax Anthology. Not a big fan of Laura's voice, as I'm not overly fond of rough, gruff female voices [[nor am I usually a fan of really high female voices for some reason). There is some nice stuff on it though. My favorite is probably "We've Come Too Far To Walk Away".

Btw, Laura's lead on the Meditation Singers' "Mercy Lord" kills me every time, both the recording and the live version.