[REMOVE ADS]

The Knack And How To Get It: Rita Tushingham & Mary Wells

I just saw this film for the first time yesterday. Great surprise to see a scene featuring the great Rita Tushingham, nude in bed except for a few strategically placed albums. Well now. To her right was the Mary Wells "My Guy" LP [[Stateside label) and off to her left was the Marvin Gaye / Mary Wells "Together" LP.

Very nice. And even though I believe the character in whose room Ms. Tushingham was in was a Rocker, it seems his tastes included Mod faves as well [[or did both camps like Northern Soul?)

I love that movie and will have to re-watch it and keep an eye out for that scene - great find!

It's a very odd film but part of that new wave of cinema which was ultra cool and 'with it'. I love that scene with the album's. It's a clear statement that we are in the 'know', and this music is ultra cool. I think you could say Rita got there before Dusty in promoting Motown to Britain!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    It's a very odd film but part of that new wave of cinema which was ultra cool and 'with it'. I love that scene with the album's. It's a clear statement that we are in the 'know', and this music is ultra cool. I think you could say Rita got there before Dusty in promoting Motown to Britain!
    Actually, the network was broadcasting the film as part of a study of the various New Waves in film. It was really interesting. French New Wave then the British New Wave and so on. Films focusing on the working class, The Angry Young Man. I love Rita, especially in "A Taste of Honey." What was really a revelation was how I could see elements of this New Wave and films like The Knack in something I hadn't realized; the freewheeling style of The Monkees television show. I don't think many realize how much the creators were influenced by what was going on in some of the new British films and how VERY unlike it was compared to traditional sitcoms.

And yes! I guess lovely Rita DID hip audiences to Motown before Dusty!!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 10-24-2021 at 03:24 AM.