[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All is Well

"I think it only natural that fans should wish to express their thoughts and opinions on an album and potential singles that we have waited fifteen years for. Why would you not?.
    If that’s not what a person wishes to hear or discuss, they are free to start a thread on something that does interest them and leave the rest of us to debate."

When did I say people could not do that? I have no problem with people expressing their disdain for the new music. I love the hell out of the song, and I will blast it out of my car speakers the moment I open the disc. That you will not does not matter to me. Not being nasty about it. Just saying nobody else's opinion puts a damper on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Doing things incorrectly for 30 years because she wasn’t releasing music purely for the fans without thought of financial gain.
    How do you know Diana doesn’t care if her album sells or subsequent singles do well?. Has she personally told you?. It might well be the utmost thought on her mind. A lot is being presumed here.
    That is not why you all said she was doing business incorrectly, and you know it. On to the second part of your quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ3YkdaP9HM&t=567s

Mind you, this is from 1989. At timestamp 9:12, if you would like to check hear it for yourself.

Barbara Walters: "Diana, a few years back, before the marriage, there was a feeling that things had kind of....not exactly stopped for you, but slowed down. The albums weren't a big success. You did a special that wasn't as successful as one would have hoped. What happened?

Diana: "I think, normal. I guess life is not really all smooth. It's up and down and all of that. Um, I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway.

Barbara Walters: "What if this album doesn't make it.

Diana: "I'll make another one."

Barbara Walters: "And, what if the tour is not the biggest in your career?"

Diana: "NEXT!"

I did not just pull this out of my nut sack, I can assure you. She says it right there. This was 32 years ago. I have not presumed anything.

From 88, 33 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jqb...&index=6&t=84s

Timestamp 1:23

Diana: "Since I left the Supremes, the records have very done well. Just not good enough. I have to work harder."

So, you mean to tell me 33 years ago this woman knew how hard you had to work to get a #1 single, and the record label sees how difficult it is for Madonna, Cher and Barbra Streisand to get up on the charts, and they release these songs with barely any promotion, and they think it's going to go #1? Go top 10? Go top 30? It has gotten a lot harder to get a hit for the older acts. Abba is the exception. They have not been on the scene all this time. The others I have named have continuously released films and music and they have toured.

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    "I think it only natural that fans should wish to express their thoughts and opinions on an album and potential singles that we have waited fifteen years for. Why would you not?.
    If that’s not what a person wishes to hear or discuss, they are free to start a thread on something that does interest them and leave the rest of us to debate."

When did I say people could not do that? I have no problem with people expressing their disdain for the new music. I love the hell out of the song, and I will blast it out of my car speakers the moment I open the disc. That you will not does not matter to me. Not being nasty about it. Just saying nobody else's opinion puts a damper on mine.

That is not why you all said she was doing business incorrectly, and you know it. On to the second part of your quote.

Mind you, this is from 1989. At timestamp 9:12, if you would like to check hear it for yourself.

Barbara Walters: "Diana, a few years back, before the marriage, there was a feeling that things had kind of....not exactly stopped for you, but slowed down. The albums weren't a big success. You did a special that wasn't as successful as one would have hoped. What happened?

Diana: "I think, normal. I guess life is not really all smooth. It's up and down and all of that. Um, I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway.

I did not just pull this out of my nut sack, I can assure you. She says it right there. This was 32 years ago. I have not presumed anything.

From 88, 33 years ago

Diana: "Since I left the Supremes, the records have very done well. Just not good enough. I have to work harder."

So, you mean to tell me 33 years ago this woman knew how hard you had to work to get a #1 single, and the record label sees how difficult it is for Madonna, Cher and Barbra Streisand to get up on the charts, and they release these songs with barely any promotion, and they think it's going to go #1? Go top 10? Go top 30? It has gotten a lot harder to get a hit for the older acts. Abba is the exception. They have not been on the scene all this time. The others I have named have continuously released films and music and they have toured.

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free
    Fun to read, and re-experience, those Diana quote-moments. The lady does not publicly point fingers and blame. Once again: the real fans are SOO happy to have a new lp coming!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Fun to read, and re-experience, those Diana quote-moments. The lady does not publicly point fingers and blame. Once again: the real fans are SOO happy to have a new lp coming!
    This real fan is counting the days 'tll the release of Diana's new CD. Is it just me, or is November 5th taking FOREVER to get here?

From 88, 33 years ago

Your move, Mr. Oxen Free
    I have seen this interview a million times but fail to see your point. Diana simply mentions that if an album is not successful she moves on to the next.
    The original point being discussed was does Diana care if her new album does well or not. I personally still believe she does. I don’t think she expects a chart topper, but would i’m sure be thrilled with a modicum of success.
    You seem to think she wouldn’t give it a second thought, which is indeed your prerogative. I guess it comes back to us all having varying opinions.
    It really is as simple as that sweetie. No need to get worked up.

I have seen this interview a million times but fail to see your point. Diana simply mentions that if an album is not successful she moves on to the next.
    The original point being discussed was does Diana care if her new album does well or not. I personally still believe she does. I don’t think she expects a chart topper, but would i’m sure be thrilled with a modicum of success.
    You seem to think she wouldn’t give it a second thought, which is indeed your prerogative. I guess it comes back to us all having varying opinions.
    It really is as simple as that sweetie. No need to get worked up.
    You forgot THIS important quote of the interview "I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway."

She believed in 29 years of her career that if a song or an album was not successful, her career was already spoken for. Would a hit be wonderful for her? Absolutely. I do not think she, nor her record label, plays themselves. Look at the charts. It's heartbreak, clubbing, turning up, WAPS, etc. There seems to be none of that on this album. It seems like positivity and a Thank You to her fans.

"
    You seem to think she wouldn’t give it a second thought"

My original quote was she clearly is not worried about storming the charts. I did not say she did not want the album to do well. I just do not believe that is the driving force.

"
    No need to get worked up."

I am not worked up in the slightest. I have no problem agreeing to disagree. I've always enjoyed your posts. I enjoy most of you guys' posts. It's all good over here

The more I hear this song the more I love it : Diana you are the Queen of beautiful music

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    The more I hear this song the more I love it : Diana you are the Queen of beautiful music
    I, too, have been loving each of the so-far-released songs more each time I play them as well; a good sign for the upcoming album!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 10-27-2021 at 01:22 PM.

You forgot THIS important quote of the interview "I somehow think I have established a career in the last 29 years, Barbara, that...uh, I think it would be ok if the record.....you're not as important as your last hit record, or your last book, or, you know. Hopefully, you can maintain a certain standard regardless to whether you have that or not. I think. I hope, anyway."

She believed in 29 years of her career that if a song or an album was not successful, her career was already spoken for. Would a hit be wonderful for her? Absolutely. I do not think she, nor her record label, plays themselves. Look at the charts. It's heartbreak, clubbing, turning up, WAPS, etc. There seems to be none of that on this album. It seems like positivity and a Thank You to her fans.

"
    You seem to think she wouldn’t give it a second thought"

My original quote was she clearly is not worried about storming the charts. I did not say she did not want the album to do well. I just do not believe that is the driving force.

"
    No need to get worked up."

I am not worked up in the slightest. I have no problem agreeing to disagree. I've always enjoyed your posts. I enjoy most of you guys' posts. It's all good over here
    Thank you for the compliment. As Mary Wilson once wrote in one of her books, Diana was beyond needing hit records as early as 74. Her superstar status was already signed, sealed, delivered by then. That’s probably why “Sleepin” charting so low wasn’t considered that big a deal.
    I don’t think financial gain was the main motivation for releasing “Thank You”, but i’m sure Diana would be thrilled to find out her music is still appreciated by so many.
    The record company probably have their own reasons for hoping the album doesn’t bomb, whatever they may be.
    The albums positive message it just what we all need right now, so as a real fan lol, i have fingers crossed it manages to create some kind of a splash.

One more for a Sesame Street appearance.

I would characterize it as a lullaby, something you'd sing to a two year old when putting them to sleep.

I hope this is the weakest cut on the upcoming CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

One more for a Sesame Street appearance.

I would characterize it as a lullaby, something you'd sing to a two year old when putting them to sleep.

I hope this is the weakest cut on the upcoming CD.
    It sound a little like an outtake from her ‘ When You Dream’ album of 93.

It sound a little like an outtake from her ‘ When You Dream’ album of 93.
    That's a very good point, Ollie! I bought Diana's Japanese import Children's book with accompanying CD back in the '90s, and I still love every track on it, especially "When You Dream". You're right -- "All Is Well" would have indeed been right at home as an unreleased bonus track on that set. I have to admit that "All Is Well" has grown on me a little teeny-tiny bit, but not enough to make it a single release. Diana's voice is fine as ever, but the weird chords throughout still annoy me to no end. Bring on "Time To Call". That one's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    You all know I love Diane, but the tracks I've heard do nothing for me. I'm in agreement with marybrewster on this one. Ross is best when she challenges herself, and neither the material nor the vocalizing on this one challenge her in the slightest. To me the vocals sound "phoned in," on the tracks I've heard. But to me it's the kind of album that should have stayed a family project. Beyond the fact that it has little commercial potential, I think it's just uninspired and pedestrian.

Like marybrewster, I will buy a copy because of fan loyalty but unless the tracks yet to be revealed are quite different, I doubt I'll play it much.

I held back expressing my opinion until now because I didn't want to put a damper on anyone's happiness at the new release, but it isn't fair to denigrate marybrewster or anyone. She expressed her opinion honestly and without being snarky, and everyone on the forum should be allowed to do that.
    Thank you very much kenneth. There's a great difference of being critical of Diana's music, and Diana herself. I love Diana Ross. Period. But my ears don't hear what others do on this album. I'll still buy it, and who knows. Maybe my opinion will change. Either way, I appreciate you coming to my rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    That's a very good point, Ollie! I bought Diana's Japanese import Children's book with accompanying CD back in the '90s, and I still love every track on it, especially "When You Dream". You're right -- "All Is Well" would have indeed been right at home as an unreleased bonus track on that set. I have to admit that "All Is Well" has grown on me a little teeny-tiny bit, but not enough to make it a single release. Diana's voice is fine as ever, but the weird chords throughout still annoy me to no end. Bring on "Time To Call". That one's a beauty!
    I remember being thrilled to find it on import at Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, London. It was always such a great store for discovering the odd rarity
    “All Is Well” kinda reminds me of the song “Picture A World” which Diana performed on Sesame Street in 82. The lyrics are somewhat cute, if rather childlike.

I remember being thrilled to find it on import at Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, London. It was always such a great store for discovering the odd rarity
    “All Is Well” kinda reminds me of the song “Picture A World” which Diana performed on Sesame Street in 82. The lyrics are somewhat cute, if rather childlike.
    Gee, I don't recall where I bought my copy, Ollie. I usually remember that kind of stuff, but I'm drawing a blank on this one. I must have special-ordered it from an online CD seller who offers Japanese imports.

That's the same place I bought my copy! I was on vacation in London and was totally amazed at the cds I found that weren't available in the USA. I actually bought the book/cd combo as well as the cd as a stand-alone because I thought I'd never see it again.

This was before Amazon or stuff like that. Any imports I bought were usually out of Goldmine magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thank you very much kenneth. There's a great difference of being critical of Diana's music, and Diana herself. I love Diana Ross. Period. But my ears don't hear what others do on this album. I'll still buy it, and who knows. Maybe my opinion will change. Either way, I appreciate you coming to my rescue.
    Everyone should be allowed to express their opinion, and no one should resent it if someone’s opinion doesn’t agree with their own. I think I’ve heard three tracks from this album now, and the lyrics all sound as if they were written on an old Hallmark card, just kind of trite and as someone else expressed, “treacly.“ That’s my opinion.

I wish Diane had used her great political capital so to speak, and talent, to record an album of standards, or jazz, or blues, or something which would have challenged her vocally as well as enhance her reputation as one of the great entertainers of all time, rather than what seems like a “pet project“ which I don’t believe will do anything to enhance her reputation or enlarge her Fanbase.
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-28-2021 at 09:12 AM.

I'm happy she didn't record an album of standards or covers. That's been done to death in the music industry for legacy artists like Diana Ross. So more power to her for recording an album of largely new songs.

I really like the title track Thank You and If the World Just Danced is fine. All is Well isn't to my taste. I will withhold comment on Time to Call until I hear the official version.

And though I'm glad Diana Ross is coming out with an album of largely original material, I had and still have reservations about the concept of the album from a personal taste perspective. I'm not into positive new agey thinking 24/7. Based on Secrets of a Sparrow, her interviews, her Twitter feed and other comments I've read about her over the years, she's very much into that and she's put that into her album. And as an artist she has every right to do so as a means of personal and artistic expression of who she is and where she's at in her life.

Despite my not being into all this EST style lyrics, I hope the overall album will be more like the title track and not a musical version of Secrets of a Sparrow or her Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That's the same place I bought my copy! I was on vacation in London and was totally amazed at the cds I found that weren't available in the USA. I actually bought the book/cd combo as well as the cd as a stand-alone because I thought I'd never see it again.

This was before Amazon or stuff like that. Any imports I bought were usually out of Goldmine magazine.
    Reese, I, too, used to order my CDs -- import and domestic -- from dealers I found in Goldmine. If it was pre-Amazon, then that's where I found my Diana book & CD. Boy, at this date in time, it's hard to imagine a life prior to Amazon!

For me "All Is Well" sits somewhere between ‘pleasant’ and ‘nice’… Although, there's something about the chorus which is a bit… off-beat [[is that the word?). Still not a bad album track.