[REMOVE ADS]

The Story Of 1967 Tonight Show Apperance Master Tape

Many years ago there was a discussion on the forum regarding what happened to Motown's copy of The Supremes 1967 performance and interview that was used in the 1977 Evening With TV Special.

If I recall correctly a "fan" helped themselves to the master tape,which is presumably the only exisiting copy of this show as many of The Tonight Shows were wiped by NBC soon after broadcast including at least two more later apperances by DMC

The poor quality we have of the interview that has circulated between collectors is very possibly due to the mastertape not properly being stored at the right tempature and since being lifted from the Motown archives the footage noticeably suffers from disintergration giving a jointy/jumping effect on viewing

However the picture quality and distortion could be improved if a seperate audio exists - this could be synced with the footage and there are so many digital visual/paintbox apps that could smoove up the picture..it wouldnt be perfect but UK dvd makers of 1960s/70s "Doctor Who" have done similar work with damaged films with fantastic results

There is several Supremes TV apperances in vaults that have never been seen since their original air date [[whatever was shown of Supremes on American Bandstand in 67 and LLoyd Thaxton to name two)

I urge anyone who collects rare audio or video to get their stuff digitally mastered you cant rely on old tapes to survive decades

It wasn't just that episode that's missing, but many of the Tonight Show/Johnny Carson show episodes prior to 1972. And it wasn't because some fan wanted a particular master tape of an episode or episodes, but because NBC was saving money by wiping over the tapes that were made. This blog article from US Library of Congress gives an explanation:

https://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2...wheres-johnny/

I'm sure that the footage still still exists in the vaults. As you stated Diana Ross featured footage in her 1977 television special. From the copy of the special I've watched, the brief moments of the happening seemed to be in perfect condition.
    But, you must know that the footage seen on the internet is not the official tape, they are only rips of the tape.

I know that the low quality footage seen on the internet is
    not the official copy, because their performance originally aired in color.
    The copy we have seen on youtube seems to be ripped from an old worn VHS recording rebroadcasting of the episode.

If NBC has the performance of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell saved,
    I am certain that they have not only this episode, but their
    appearance in 1968, and Ross's solo appearance in 1969.

I'm sure that if you REALLY wanted access to a tape of the show from NBC you could get one. However, I imagine that it would be a really complex and expensive process.

I read that many of the 60s Tonight Show footage that we see now is from reels that the show producers edited for Emmy consideration. Even on old Tonight Show anniversary specials, you rarely saw clips from the 60s.

Some time back, you could go to the Johnny Carson website and if copies of programs existed in the vault, you could purchase a copy for $100. I bought 4 shows before that service was stopped. There weren't any 60s Supremes performances available. If they had been, I certainly would have bought them. Before I could buy another set of shows, the service stopped. Most likely, due to bootleggers.
    Last edited by reese; 10-21-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1968 View Post
    I'm sure that the footage still still exists in the vaults. As you stated Diana Ross featured footage in her 1977 television special. From the copy of the special I've watched, the brief moments of the happening seemed to be in perfect condition.
    But, you must know that the footage seen on the internet is not the official tape, they are only rips of the tape.

I know that the low quality footage seen on the internet is
    not the official copy, because their performance originally aired in color.
    The copy we have seen on youtube seems to be ripped from an old worn VHS recording rebroadcasting of the episode.

If NBC has the performance of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell saved,
    I am certain that they have not only this episode, but their
    appearance in 1968, and Ross's solo appearance in 1969.
    Apparently the low quality footage circulating is a kinescope - a black & white film copy of the NBC colour master - Motown did not have a colour version in their posession before it was stolen - Kinescope is a cheaper film that degrades due to moist which is evident in the footage

Iam a fan of Judy Garland and Joan Crawford - Garlands two apperances in 68 and 69 luckily survive in colour, however three Joan Crawford apperances do not survive Ive been under the impression that NBC have wiped most of the 60s Tonight Shows
    Last edited by nomis; 10-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.