[REMOVE ADS]

What Started Your Love For Soul Music?

What started your love for soul music ?

For me it was back in the late 60s when my father purchased The Temptations "With A Lot o' Soul" for me as a birthday president [[which always made me laugh because I never asked for it to begin with lol, but it turned out to be a great record, so not a bad start right?) so I would always play it nonstop everyday after school and songs like "I Know, I'm Losing It" and "All I Need" made me love it even more and even started my love for David Ruffin.

For reference, I was born in 1959 so I was too young for the earlier part of the 60s [[60-64ish era) so 1967 and later was my time

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  21.1 KB
    For me, it was listening to my father's Boogie Woogie, City Blues, R&Bish dance band, Jazz instrumentals, and Jazz vocals, and a few early and pre-R&B group records, such as by Champion Jack Dupree, Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, T-Bone Walker, The Ink Spots, Nat "King" Cole, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, etc, starting in about 1951. And I got my first R&B records for birthday and Chanukah gifts in 1953, which were mainly R&B Harmony groups, like The Five Keys, Flamingos, Drifters, Clovers, Dominoes, etc. There was no clean transition from R&B into Soul, so I was just moving on with the music. But since 1972 or so, there's been mostly just Jazz for me [[which I've liked, without stopping, since 1949, or so. My first records were 78s of "The Glory of Love" by The Five Keys", "Money Honey" by The Drifters, "Blue Velvet" by The Clovers, "Over The Rainbow" by The Checkers, and "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes. My parents bought them for my 7th birthday. They had no problem with the lewd lyrics of the latter, as they knew I would have no idea of what they meant for 7 or 8 years. They knew I just liked the sound. And also they didn't mind hearing those songs played in their house [[unlike most of the Caucasian parents in Manitoba - who mainly liked hokey C&W music and The First Nation [[indigenous Canadian people, who didn't understand it). My parents' Dutch parents had liked US Jazz a lot, and they learned to like it, too.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-21-2021 at 12:37 PM.

For me it was various Soul songs from the early '60s that I heard on the radio [like "Shop Around", "Hit The Road Jack", "Bring It On Home To Me", and others].

PS: My love for The Motown Sound began in 1964 with "My Guy" & "Where Did Our Love Go".

Early to mid 1960's AM radio in the NYC metro area: The Exciter's 'Tell Him', The Dixie's 'Chapel', Supremes' 'Stop', Martha's 'Jimmy Mack' are those that I remember most clearly.

From birth! As a 60s baby, in the Bronx, soul permeated our two-family Bx. homestead. Mom sang w/The Chantels in the Roosevelt High/Fordham Rd. hood, before they were on wax. Her mother was a formidable singer. As was Grams, in Co-Op City. Also, Unk.,in the attic was an early rap producer. Of course, Motown was king! The Sound of my America! North of 60, my go-to music remains Soul w/a side 'o jazz.
    Last edited by nativeNY63; 10-21-2021 at 08:31 AM.

1965: 11 years old and I thought all music was just that: music! I didn't even know what a "genre" was. Then came Stop! and a whole new world opened up: Nowhere To Run, I Can't Help Myself, Tracks of My Tears, and Get Ready! Soon also: Otis Redding's Respect, Sam & Dave's Hold On I'm Comin', Percy Sledge's When A Man Loves A Woman.

I listen to Soul, R&B, Pop and some Country, Rock and Jazz, but Motown is still my first and greatest love.

For me it was Meet the Temptations. I wore that lp out!

It's been so many years ago I had to really think about this one. I believe my love of music began in the church and while listening to groups like the Mighty Clouds of Joy on the radio with my grandmother. From there it was southern soul with folks like Joe Tex, Otis Redding and what they call Carolina Shag music now.

Then one Sunday evening I saw three young ladies on the Ed Sullivan Show [[Diana, Mary and my forever and always fave Supreme Flo) and I was hooked on the sophisticated MOTOWN SOUND.

Taste have expanded over the years but I always go back to the classic soul sounds.

for me 1961 Miami POP radio saying here is a new sound from a 16 year old Detroit girl, Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby" , the next day my mom bought me the 45 at Grandview, a discount store. I was 10 yrs old.

My story is similar to lucky 2012. I got my first transistor radio for Christmas in 1965 when I was 13. Although I knew a few songs here and there I had not formulated any particular tastes in music. So listening to that radio all day every day soon defined my tastes for me and although there were a few non-soul things that appealed to me, I became primarily a soul and especially a Motown fan back then.