[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Background w/o The Supremes

It's said that the song "Come On Home", credited to the Darnells, is actually the Marvelettes.

What's interesting is that Mary Wilson is on background. Does anyone know any more to this story? How did she get involved? Where were Diana and Flo?

The same can be said, I'm told, about "Mickey's Monkey" by the Miracles. Again, Mary on background with no Diana or Flo.

"Come On Home" was the flip side to "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye." The single was credited to the Darnells but the a-side was done by Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. I don't remember if the other Marvelettes are on the recording.

As it is an HDH composition / production, they probably just pulled anyone who was hanging around into the studio that day.

Re "Mickey's Monkey," when Smokey appeared on the Mike Douglas Show in the 70s, he named a lot of people who were supposedly on the record, including Diana. In a book, Otis Williams said Smokey was the only Miracle on the record and a bunch of other Motowners, including himself, helped out on vocals.

On Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye.", it’s Gladys on lead with Wanda as Nd Louvian doing co harmony with the Andantes doing the back up. Come on is credited as Holland-Dozier with

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    "Come On Home" was the flip side to "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye." The single was credited to the Darnells but the a-side was done by Gladys Horton of the Marvelettes. I don't remember if the other Marvelettes are on the recording.

As it is an HDH composition / production, they probably just pulled anyone who was hanging around into the studio that day.

Re "Mickey's Monkey," when Smokey appeared on the Mike Douglas Show in the 70s, he named a lot of people who were supposedly on the record, including Diana. In a book, Otis Williams said Smokey was the only Miracle on the record and a bunch of other Motowners, including himself, helped out on vocals.

As far Mickey’s Monkey he’s been pretty clear who was there. He said it in the Miracles DVD and on the Motown documentary

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's said that the song "Come On Home", credited to the Darnells, is actually the Marvelettes.

What's interesting is that Mary Wilson is on background. Does anyone know any more to this story? How did she get involved? Where were Diana and Flo?

The same can be said, I'm told, about "Mickey's Monkey" by the Miracles. Again, Mary on background with no Diana or Flo.
    Remember that up until "Where Did Our Love Go", it wasn't like the Supremes were working 24/7. Sure they were busy as a group, but there was a lot of down time too. Aside from Supremes obligations, there were surely love lives, friendships outside the group, I know at one point the girls had jobs on the side, and of course family responsibilities. There was bound to be times when only one Supreme was hanging around Hitsville, or only two Supremes hanging around Hitsville. And when it came to background recording, the producers sometimes just grabbed who was available, which could be any combination of Motown artists. I suspect that's what happened with Eddie Holland's "What About Me" where Flo is easily picked out but I only hear male vocalists with her and not anyone I can make out as being a Supreme. And I've said before I don't believe Mary Wilson is on Marvin's "Can I Get A Witness". She credited the backing vocals to that song to Martha and the Vandellas, but Flo and Diana are on it. I'm guessing Mary missed out on that one.

Truth be told I don’t hear Diana on Witness. I do hear Flo. I think this is one of these cases that Flo’s vocals just over everyone else. I do believe all 3 of them are there

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Truth be told I don’t hear Diana on Witness. I do hear Flo. I think this is one of these cases that Flo’s vocals just over everyone else. I do believe all 3 of them are there
    I think Flo sings on "Knock On My Door by the Marvelettes too.

I can hear both Diana and Flo on "Witness", although I can make Flo out better. They both crush "Wonderful One" and drown Mary out. But Mary crediting "Witness" to Martha and the Vandellas just makes sense if she wasn't there. I can't see her giving credit that belongs to the Supremes to any other group.

Quote Originally Posted by JimEMack View Post
    I think Flo sings on "Knock On My Door by the Marvelettes too.
    I'm not familiar with this song. I'll have to check it out and come back with my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I can hear both Diana and Flo on "Witness", although I can make Flo out better. They both crush "Wonderful One" and drown Mary out. But Mary crediting "Witness" to Martha and the Vandellas just makes sense if she wasn't there. I can't see her giving credit that belongs to the Supremes to any other group.
    Also, sometimes memories fade. On THE MOTOWN STORY album, Marvin Gaye says "Diane and a couple of the other Supremes" sang background on WITNESS. Of course, he could be mistaken as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this song. I'll have to check it out and come back with my opinion.
    KNOCK ON MY DOOR was released on the compilation NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS and later on the cd edition of the album THE MARVELOUS MARVELETTES. I always assumed the high, elegant voices belonged to the Andantes but you never know.

If I’m correct Rosalind Ashford did record for marvelettes while Wanda was out while Flo took her place on stage
    KNOCK ON MY DOOR was released on the compilation NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS and later on the cd edition of the album THE MARVELOUS MARVELETTES. I always assumed the high, elegant voices belonged to the Andantes but you never know.

If I’m correct Rosalind Ashford did record for marvelettes while Wanda was out while Flo took her place on stage
    I recall reading that Rosalind was on SILLY BOY and maybe some others.

[QUOTE=marybrewster;665129]It's said that the song "Come On Home", credited to the Darnells, is actually the Marvelettes.

The same can be said, I'm told, about "Mickey's Monkey" by the Miracles. Again, Mary on background with no Diana or Flo.[/QUOTE

Where is it documented that Mary are on these two tracks?

One of the guys in HDH said in his memoirs that he grabbed a bunch of people in the hallway to do a background session for Marvin, and specifically said one was Mary Wilson. He did not mention DR or FB. I don't have the book in front of me but I am certain I read that.

DMF are definitely on Wherever I Lay My Hat, Can I Get a witness and Wonderful One

Smokey himself said on the miracles dvd and on the hitsville documentary
    [QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;666179]
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

The same can be said, I'm told, about "Mickey's Monkey" by the Miracles. Again, Mary on background with no Diana or Flo.[/QUOTE

Where is it documented that Mary are on these two tracks?

Rod sang on 6 sing off that album
    I recall reading that Rosalind was on SILLY BOY and maybe some others.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    DMF are definitely on Wherever I Lay My Hat, Can I Get a witness and Wonderful One
    I used to be convinced that the Supremes are on "Hat", but over the last couple years I've become torn between it being the Supremes and being Martha and the Vandellas. There are times when I swear I hear Flo and Diana, and then times when I swear I hear Martha and Roz. How cool would it be to find out that it's both groups?