[REMOVE ADS]

Another Missing Motown Jobete 45 Mr Bo & His Blues Boys Diamond Jim

Another missing Jobete 45.Unusual for Jim Riley the owner of Diamond Jim [[his nickname) using or allowing Berry Gordy or Motown to be involved with anything that Jim Riley was responsible for. The B Side "Night Walkers" is also Jobete owned. It can only be a one off arrangement betwen the two as there is no love lost between the two label owners.Fascinating! Anybody any ideas?

Attachment 19389
    Attachment 19390

Since "Baby Your Hair Looks Bad"/"Night Walkers" are the only songs by Mr. Bo & The Blues Boys that are published by Motown's publishing division, Jobete, I suspect that this was done to pay off a loan [or another favor] that Berry Gordy made to Diamond Jim/Riley Productions.

So what's the history behind these two labels and guys?

Not Sure?
    anyway this realted to Jim Riley's demise.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/web16-cor...4-HobbyBar.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Since "Baby Your Hair Looks Bad"/"Night Walkers" are the only songs by Mr. Bo & The Blues Boys that are published by Motown's publishing division, Jobete, I suspect that this was done to pay off a loan [or another favor] that Berry Gordy made to Diamond Jim/Riley Productions.
    A good theory. Riley took the writing credits for the song, himself, and he probably never did any songwriting, other than changing the wording in a phrase, or two, of his company's staff writers' songs. So, transferring the publishing rights from one of his own productions to Gordy's publishing rights IS most likely just a way of transferring money to Gordy. Like Mike Hanks, Riley was extremely jealous of Gordy's success, and hated the man's haughtiness. Riley must have been desperate for an immediate infusion of cash, and had no other way to get it, to "stoop" to ask Berry for such a favour.

That was likely slightly similar to when Ed Wingate wanted to get out of the music business, and ending up selling Golden World/Ric-Tic to Gordy. Although he was less jealous of Berry, and they had a less antagonistic relationship [[slightly friendly at times) I'm sure Wingate would rather have sold his record company to someone else; but, thinking of what he could do with all that money [[reputed to be $1 million), couldn't refuse Gordy's overinflated offer.

Pretty feasible, just a big surprise to come across this particular 45 with "Jobete" both sides, so unusual by Jim Riley to agree to it? but as you say he maybe needed the money. They only issued just over forty 45's on Diamond Jim.

I have mentioned it to Keith for DFTMC

Going by the stories that I've heard from Detroiters who knew Jim Riley, I don't think he would've ever needed to borrow money from Berry Gordy. I have a strong suspicion that this was meant to be an insult towards Motown or someone at Motown judging by the song title and lyrics, and I think giving Jobete the publishing credit was just to ensure it came across.

The backing track for this gets reused on Mr. Bo's record "Plenty Fire Below" that was released on the Gold Top label he co-owned with Lee Rogers.