[REMOVE ADS]

Motown artists name changes.

I came across this just now.

Rapper formerly known as Kanye West is now just Ye

It made me wonder. Does anyone know of any single artist or group that changed their names. I'm not thinking of early names before they achieved popularity, i. e. Primettes to Supremes.

The main one that comes to mind is the Marvelettes to the Darnells. Does
    anyone know of any single artists who did something like this?

I cannot recall any, but perhaps there were others.

This one perhaps isn't that dramatic, but The DeBarges changed their name to DeBarge for their second LP.

Temptations > Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The main one that comes to mind is the Marvelettes to the Darnells. Does
    anyone know of any single artists who did something like this?

This one isn't really a permanent name change though; Motown was just trying to fool people into thinking the Darnells were an entirely different group on one record. Most people knew better.

Green Day has released music as Pinhead Gunpowder, Foxboro Hot Tub and many, many other pseudonyms.

The Downbeats became The Elgins.

Johnny, I think woodward specifically meant Motown artist only. I can't think of any as it
    was so rare in the company. I can think of a few outside. Hey, maybe I can cheat with
    a tie-in to Motown...Ahem!...Marvin Gaye covered 5-10-15-20 which was done first by
    The Presidents who later became Anacostia...How's that?...

Syreeta Wright released her first single on Motown in 1968, "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You", under the name Rita Wright [along with 22 other unreleased tracks that were complied on the Kent/Ace CD The Rita Wright Years-Rare Motown 1967-1970]. She would start using only the name Syreeta in 1972 and onwards on her Motown releases.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-19-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

I know, Splanky. I'm a big GD fan tho.

Terry Johnson's Motown singles were released under that name, but his Gordy single was released as "Buzzie".

Linda Griner was later Lyn Roman
    Little Stevie Wonder became Stevie Wonder [[lol)
    Little David Bush became David Ruffin
    The Jazz Crusaders then The Crusaders

Would Marvin Gaye adding the e to "Gay" fit in this category of name changes? From what I understand is that he was signed by Berry Gordy and then added e to his surname prior to the release of his first single.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Syreeta Wright released her first single on Motown in 1968, "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You", under the name Rita Wright [along with 22 other unreleased tracks that were complied on the Kent/Ace CD The Rita Wright Years-Rare Motown 1967-1970]. She would start using only the name Syreeta in 1972 and onwards on her Motown releases.
    Good one! I hadn't thought about her!

Kennedy William Gordy aka Rockwell.

Eivets Rednow

Majestics to Monitors.

Agatha Weston to Kim Weston.

Hal Davis - Danny Day.
    Lamont Dozier - Lamont Anthony.
    Al Kent - Albert Hamilton.
    Ronnie Savoy - Eugene Hamilton.
    Tyran Carlo - Billy "Roquel" Davis.
    Robert Gordy - Bob Kayli.
    Gloria Jones - Laverne Ware.
    Dennis Lussier - Deke Richards.
    Edwin Starr - Charles Hatcher.
    William "Mickey" Stevenson - Avery Vandenberg.
    Funk Brothers - Twistin` Kings.

Rare Earth's drummer/lead singer Peter Hoorelbeke was credited as Pete Rivera on the albums released on Motown from 1969 thru 1971. Peter along most of the members of the band were using stage names at that time. He would revert to using his real last name, Hoorelbeke, for the LPs beginning in 1972.

I have to ask this, did Agatha Weston, Charles Hatcher, or William Kennedy Gordy ever
    record under those names? I don't seem to remember hearing so but like everyone else
    I've missed a few tags in my lifetime...

"I know His Name [[Only His Name) and "Meet Me Half Way" were recorded as Agatha Weston. Charles Hatcher composed under that name then changed to Edwin Starr.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Would Marvin Gaye adding the e to "Gay" fit in this category of name changes? From what I understand is that he was signed by Berry Gordy and then added e to his surname prior to the release of his first single.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  21.1 KB
    Marvin had a single out with his name spelled: Gay. I think it was an unnumbered "I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over"/"Witchcraft", if I remember correctly, which was released around the time of Tamla 54035. It was first released on the label with the horizontal bar lines, but, also later came out on the solid yellow globe logo label.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Hal Davis - Danny Day.
Views: 936
    "Motown artists name changes. Does anyone know of any single artist or group that changed their names? I'm not thinking of early names before they achieved popularity, i. e. Primettes to Supremes."

Lamont Dozier didn't come to Motown as "Lamont Anthony". He returned to his real, legal name, and didn't change while he was an artist at Motown. Did Ronnie Savoy [[Eugene Hamilton ever work for Motown??? Did he come there after the Ed Wingate buyout? I never thought so. Same for Al Kent [[Hamilton). Brother Bobby DID work as a songwriter at Motown during 1962-63. Billy Davis was never working at Motown. Edwin Star [[Charles Hatcher) was Edwin Star both before and after joining Motown. To my knowledge he never even used the name Hatcher for songwriting credits [[although he did do that with other labels. Did Mickey Stevenson use the name Avery Vandenberg while working with Motown???

I apologise as I misread the original question. All those mentioned were known by other names. As for Avery Vandenberg he certainly co wrote with Ron Miller and the Broadnaxes. Al Kent also wrote songs recorded by Motown artists like the Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips, David Ruffin, the Supremes and Blinky. His "You`ve Got To Pay The Price" turned up Motown issues although it was from Ric-Tic. Charles Hatcher`s name did turn up the "Soul Master" album but I guess that was because they were also from Ric-Tic.

Rick James, was known as James Ambrose Johnson Jr. when they signed at Motown as the the Mynah Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Rick James, was known as James Ambrose Johnson Jr. when they signed at Motown as the the Mynah Birds.
    He was also known as Ricky Matthews around this time.

Another loose one: Connie Clark became Chris Clark.

Another loose one: Connie Clark became Chris Clark.
Views: 843
    VERY loose
    , as it isn't true, at all. It was only an unsubstantiated [[because it wasn't true in any sense) rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

It made me wonder. Does anyone know of any single artist or group that changed their names. I'm not thinking of early names before they achieved popularity, i. e. Primettes to Supremes.
    Besides the already mentioned example of the DeBarges becoming DeBarge, the only other Motown [or Motown associated] act that I can think of changing their name AFTER they became famous is another family group, the Jackson 5. They had to change their name to the Jacksons after they left Motown for CBS, since Motown owned their original name.

Robb, unlike you I wasn`t around Motown in those days. So I have to get my information from books and according to Bill Dahl in his "Motown The Golden Years" page 222 " [[in the interim, she cut Frank Wilson`s Jobete-published "My Sugar Baby" for the tiny Joker logo in 1965 as Connie Clark ).
    In "Tamla Motown the stories behind the UK singles" by Terry Wilson, on page 159 [[Previously going by the name Connie Clark she was snapped up at 17 by Hal Davis..)
    Two people who know far more about the subject than I do think differently. If they are wrong then I am very grateful for your correction.

The Terry Wilson book is full of inaccuracies.

The Miracles to Smokey Robinson & The Miracles [[and vice versa)
    The Supremes to Diana Ross & The Supremes [[and vice versa)
    Martha & The Vandellas to Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Ron and Bill
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-24-2021 at 07:11 PM.

George "Bad" Benson on the Motown distributed CTI records, became less bad on his following releases.

The Vells, The Blue Jeans and The Vandellas.

David english[aka]melvin franklin.

The Spinners, The Detroit Spinners, The Motown Spinners.
    San Remo Strings, San Remo Golden Strings

A real sleeper. Probably generally nobody ever knew much about him, but once upon a time there was a singer by the name of Joseph McLean who did ONE recording for the Soul label --- #35031 --- who recorded as Abdullah.

I guess we could include Motown writer Allen Story, who released an album as Shadee Hasan in 1979 entitled I Just Need More Money.

Bit of a rush issue that Berry sent out to a small number of DJ's to promote the Album.

<br>

Martha Lavaille?

Hal Davis - Danny Day.
Views: 428
    I'm pretty sure I remember both hearing and reading that Ronnie Savoy[[Eugene Hamilton) was NOT signed by Motown in the transfer of assets from Golden World to Motown. Al Kent said that Motown only wanted Charley Hatcher[[Edwin Starr), J.J. Barnes, and the master tapes, and signed a few songwriters [[but Ronnie Savoy, according to his own testimony, in an interview with him and his brother, Al Kent, that Ronnie was NOT signed by Motown in the company purchase. Al Kent, on the other hand, WAS signed by Motown as a songwriter/producer, along with Richard Morris. Al worked at Motown for a short time, but decided to leave and go back to Wingate, with the latter's new, Ric-Tic Records operation, as Motown had only bought The Golden World name, and Kent was dissatisfied being able to do so little at Motown, and have so little control on projects.

Robb, unlike you I wasn`t around Motown in those days. So I have to get my information from books and according to Bill Dahl in his "Motown The Golden Years" page 222 " [[in the interim, she cut Frank Wilson`s Jobete-published "My Sugar Baby" for the tiny Joker logo in 1965 as Connie Clark ).
    In "Tamla Motown the stories behind the UK singles" by Terry Wilson, on page 159 [[Previously going by the name Connie Clark she was snapped up at 17 by Hal Davis..)
    Two people who know far more about the subject than I do think differently. If they are wrong then I am very grateful for your correction.
    Chris tells me herself that this is most definitely NOT her - I think she would know more than anybody.

The Four Seasons did four records under the name Wonder Who. They were on Motown for a while.

And a question about the Jackson 5 mentioned above. Weren't they the Jackson 5 before they came to Motown? If true, how did Berry wind up owning the name and they had to give it up in order to leave Motown

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    And a question about the Jackson 5 mentioned above. Weren't they the Jackson 5 before they came to Motown? If true, how did Berry wind up owning the name and they had to give it up in order to leave Motown
    Joe Jackson, the group's father & manager, must've signed away the rights to The Jackson 5's name when he signed the contract for the group with Motown Records. This was common among many of the groups that Berry Gordy signed to Motown [except for The Temptations, Four Tops, The Spinners and others who were able keep their names when each of them left the company and recorded for other labels in the '70s].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-06-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Jr. Walker aka Autry DeWalt aka Autry DeWalt Mixon, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I guess we could include Motown writer Allen Story, who released an album as Shadee Hasan in 1979 entitled I Just Need More Money.
    Thanks, TomatoTom. I should have known this and didn't.
    Allen Story's recordings on Anna go back as far as 1960.