[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Martha: 'Don't wait until I'm dead to celebrate my life' & more thoughts

Thanks Levi Stubbs Tears for sharing the interview with Martha Reeves. And she's absolutely right; 'don't wait until a person is dead to celebrate their life'.

I agree wholeheartedly. So how about, at long last, celebrating Martha's life with a de luxe issue of her Live at the Copa album, in a box set of her other live recordings with the Vandellas. Surely she and we have waited long enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Thanks for posting this!

I celebrate Martha frequently, but, I agree she deserves something monumental. A class act, fun to hang with and has become a treasured performer in spite of aging vocal prowess. One of my very very very faves.

I agree wholeheartedly. Martha is so "for real" - no diva behaviour from her, ever! Witness her warm, generous behaviour when she and four Vandellas were inducted in to the Rock and roll Hall of Fame in 1995. We had a wonderful celebration of her and the Vandellas with the stunning 60th Anniversary Collection. Such hidden treasure was unearthed for that set. That high-quality recordings like those were left in the vaults for decades, shows how undervalued she has been. It's high time she got her propers.

I have LOVED Martha since I was 11 in 1962 & met her in Nov. 1962 in Mary Wells hotel room in Miami. Martha has ALWAYS been my 2nd favorite singer.

A set of Expanded Editions of M&tV albums would be a dream come true, but alas, given the snail's pace of the series for The Supremes, I doubt we'd get even one. Perhaps a boxed set with ample alternates, lost tracks, etc. I'm glad to have the Lost and Found and 50th Ann. sets, but more would always be welcomed by me, regardless of format.

Martha and the vandellas have always been the most soulful female group at motown, and one of the greats in soul music history.

I always thought [[just my imagination really) that when H-D-H left Motown they took a couple of songs with them.

And one of them was 'Band of Gold' which was intended for Martha & The Vees.

I thanked her for her perseverance, her ambassadorship for Motown, keeping the legacy alive, her graciousness and her energy. What a wonderful lady.

Here is Ms Reeves performing in Amsterdam in 2019, and later...signing my t-shirt. I was a bit hesitant because of the change in her voice, but wow....telephone microphones on recent youtube video's don't do her justice. Yes, het voice is changed, but very, very energetic, spot on and playing with the audience. A true legend!

Name:  68E041E9-3CC4-41AF-9B8B-DAFF47526D8C_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  6.7 KB
    Name:  2A5FD112-5BCA-434E-8BF3-ED1F942FE86B_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  8.8 KB