[REMOVE ADS]

How would Marvin Gaye's career had been if hadn't died in 1984

Marvin Gaye was on a role when he came back and had huge success with his single Sexual Healing, earned him a Grammy, Midnight Love was his most successful record, around the early 80s, he was on fire then and of course April 1st 1984 happened, a very dark day for us soul lovers who were teenagers during the 60s or 70s when Marvin was in his prime.

Now my question is this, how would Marvin Gaye's career had been if hadn't died in 1984? Especially with the direction of soul that was happening throughout the 80s

Basically like a "what if" question.

Good Question! I say that if Marvin Gaye hadn't died, he would've crafted a few more songs along the lines of his comeback hit "Sexual Healing". After that, he would've tried to keep up with the trends in Black Pop during the '80s such as 'Quiet Storm' & 'New Jack Swing'.

I agree,marvin was too talented to fade,he would still be crankin out the hits today had he lived.

More thoughts about Marvin if he had lived; I think he would've released that album of standards that he did, Vulnerable, and possibly done more work in that vein. Also see him collaborating with other contemporary musicians in '80s Soul/Black Pop such as Luther Vandross, Sade & Anita Baker.

Sadly, I think that some of the things that gave Marvin his magic are the same things that led to his premature passing.

Just like every other Motown act, he may have had some further success but he was aging for the youth market to be that interested, and he’d reached his peak.

I think this is another of the discussions that has been had before.

Had he been able to kick the drugs and evade his history with under-aged girls Marvin may have had another hit or two; other than that it's difficult to see that he would have had anything more going on hit-record-wise than Stevie, Smokey, etc.