[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Diana song “I Still Believe”

Diana’s vocals sound refreshingly good on this snippet. With momentum building for “ITWJD”, it might be better if all attention was focussed on it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7KcYG1tISSU&feature=share Here it is beautiful people love it

It’s a beautiful disco track with a Latin feel this girl is on fire her vocals are Superb

https://youtu.be/BCFVhdKB6II Another one it says it’s a Alternate version

This song has potential.

But, the music and background vocals have to soar, almost gospel-like, and they don’t. They just lay there in the distance. Very disappointing the song never builds to its rightful glorious crescendo. Thus, a single listen is all I’ll give it.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 10-15-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    This song has potential.

But, the music and background vocals have to soar, almost gospel-like, and they don’t. They just lay there in the distance. Very disappointing the song never builds to its rightful glorious crescendo. Thus, a single listen is all I’ll give it.
    oh my Lord quite time already you don’t stop always taking jabs here and there just enjoy this is a Alternate version

Thanks for sharing these links, after you. The alternate version that was posted at the first link is an extended version, as it runs for over 5 mins...and the second link runs at around 3:40, which seems to match the running time of the version included on the album, per Wikipedia I wonder if this alternate/extended version was fan-made or if it is official and will be released digitally later?

Love this song!!! It's so much fun and she sounds great!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-15-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for sharing these links, after you. The alternate version that was posted at the first link is an extended version, as it runs for over 5 mins...and the second link runs at around 3:40, which seems to match the running time of the version included on the album, per Wikipedia I wonder if this alternate/extended version was fan-made or if this extended version is official and will be released digitally later?

Love this song!!! It's so much fun and she sounds great!
    your right it’s a great fun song I love it

I really like the song, as wel as the, looking at the profile of the poster on YouTube, a fanmade alternate. If she is ever going to do this live, I can foresee a costume change moment....lol

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    oh my Lord quite time already you don’t stop always taking jabs here and there just enjoy this is a Alternate version
    Try to not let it bother you. This forum has literally seen people go to their graves trying [and failing) to denigrate Diana. Some posters apparently have nothing to do with their lives other than comment negatively on every post to every thread. Let's be happy that Our Miss Ross has new music that the discerning among us are loving!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Try to not let it bother you. This forum has literally seen people go to their graves trying [and failing) to denigrate Diana.
    Its just awful. I knew someone once who disliked “Touch Me In The Morning”. I never spoke to them again. If there is an afterlife, he will i’m sure have to answer for his sins.

Is it just me, or is Diana sounding in better voice the older she gets? She sounds fantastic! Cannot WAIT for this new CD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Its just awful. I knew someone once who disliked “Touch Me In The Morning”. I never spoke to them again. If there is an afterlife, he will i’m sure have to answer for his sins.
    Diana Ross is perfect.

And though it will be a sad day when she leaves her earthly body to go back to heaven to co-rule with God the Father, I will take pleasure that she will finally dish out punishment and her wrath to every single person who dare say a bad word about her. God is keeping those Diana Ross haters and critics under the delusion that they will be in heaven for eternity. But when Diana returns to heaven she will cast each and every one to eternal damnation of hell. I for one can't wait.

Our Diana, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
    Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us our day our daily sequin
    And never forgive your trespasses as we should never forgive those who say an unkind word about you our Supreme Miss Ross
    And lead us not into Temptation, but deliver us from evil.
    For thine if the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever and ever.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Is it just me, or is Diana sounding in better voice the older she gets? She sounds fantastic! Cannot WAIT for this new CD!
    She sounds fine, if a bit raspy. Her voice has eroded due to age and 60 years plus of singing. That's to be expected. I would say the 70s were her peak vocally. But despite the erosion of her voice she was always blessed with the gift of phrasing and capturing the emotion of the song and her skills in those areas have just gotten better over the decades. That's her true gift as a vocalist and that's why she still sounds good and why she has had such a large audience over the decades.

Hee hee. I heard someone had the nerve to walk out halfway through the middle of a screening of The Wiz. They were chased down the street and eggs thrown out their house.

A modicum of auto tune and technical gadgetry here and there certainly makes a difference. With the right song she still sounds very good for her age.
    I would consider Diana’s peak vocal years to be 1970 - 1982

To Ollie & Spreadinglove: I know that Diana's voice has lowered a bit, but that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think that makes her sound kinda sexy! What I'm comparing her to is back in 2002 when she was experiencing personal problems. Her voice was, shall we say, less than stellar. Since then, to my ears, her voice has not only returned to its former glory, it's even better than before. Case in point: A couple of years ago, at the televised tribute to Berry Gordy, Diana ventured down into the audience to sing "My Man" directly to Berry! My God! I couldn't believe it! She sounded FANTASTIC! My cousin in western NY even texted me -- amazed that Diana could still sing so well. [[You have to remember that Diana hasn't gotten much airplay up north since the mid-80s, so my cousin hasn't heard her sing in years.) I think that part of the reason she's in such good voice is because the stressful part of her career is over. She is now surrounded by her loving family which are the loves of her life, and she has the freedom to perform only when she wants to [[which, lucky for us, is often!)

And, spreadinglove, you're so right about Diana's exceptional gift for phrasing. It's immaculate with each and every "ooh" placed perfectly and strategically -- all a part of the Motown magic!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-17-2021 at 08:07 PM.

I totally agree with you, Philles/Motown Gary. Diana's voice is lower but it still sounds strong and wonderful. It's still so emotive, jazzy and breathy, soaring with clarity. The second last time I saw her in concert, was in October 2018, and I managed to record some audio of that particular show, as she performed at a charity gala in Ottawa with an orchestra and she was in impressive voice that particular night. Here is a clip that I recorded of her singing Endless Love, in case anyone needs proof that she still sounds amazing...

https://youtu.be/5uEYj39gTBw

I totally agree with you, Philles/Motown Gary. Diana's voice is lower but it still sounds strong and wonderful. It's still so emotive, jazzy and breathy, soaring with clarity. The second last time I saw her in concert, was in October 2018, and I managed to record some audio of that particular show, as she performed at a charity gala in Ottawa with an orchestra and she was in impressive voice that particular night. Here is a clip that I recorded of her singing Endless Love, in case anyone needs proof that she still sounds amazing...

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Our girl.

Thanks, Carlo. That's exactly what I'm talking about! And another neat thing about Diana is that when she aims for a high note [[of which there are many throughout her shows), she hits it every time -- right on the mark! BTW, you had some really great seats for that show. And the stage lighting is gorgeous!

Thank you Carlo. This was so beautiful!

So glad you enjoyed the audio, Peace, vgalindo and Philles/Motown Gary. Yes she still has a fantastic instrument. I was reading that she has been taking vocal lessons during the past couple of years, which I am glad to hear, because she's taking care of her voice, which is especially important as one ages. In regards to your comment on her high notes Philles/Motown Gary, I have been most impressed with her adding "Home" from The Wiz back into some of her more recent live shows. She also did it that evening in Ottawa and the audio is also on my YouTube channel. That is one of her more challenging songs, in a vocal sense, and I have been continually impressed by her recent performances of it.

BTW, you had some really great seats for that show. And the stage lighting is gorgeous!
    Thank you! We sat in the front of the balcony for this particular show, as the tickets were quite expensive, being a black tie affair. However, it was so worth it and an unforgettable evening. I hope there will be more opportunities to see Ms Ross with an orchestra in the future. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-17-2021 at 11:10 PM.

So glad you enjoyed the audio, Peace, vgalindo and Philles/Motown Gary. Yes she still has a fantastic instrument. I was reading that she has been taking vocal lessons during the past couple of years, which I am glad to hear, because she's taking care of her voice, which is especially important as one ages. In regards to your comment on her high notes Philles/Motown Gary, I have been most impressed with her adding "Home" from The Wiz back into some of her more recent live shows. She also did it that evening in Ottawa and the audio is also on my YouTube channel. That is one of her more challenging songs, in a vocal sense, and I have been continually impressed by her recent performances of it.

Thank you! We sat in the front of the balcony for this particular show, as the tickets were quite expensive, being a black tie affair. However, it was so worth it and an unforgettable evening. I hope there will be more opportunities to see Ms Ross with an orchestra in the future. Highly recommended!
    Carlo, the last time we saw Diana live was when she performed in Canandaigua, NY, around 2014-ish. She sang "Home" there as well and was pitch-perfect. The audience went wild, and I was never prouder to be a Motown/Diana Ross fan than I was that night in my hometown!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-17-2021 at 11:24 PM.

To Ollie & Spreadinglove: I know that Diana's voice has lowered a bit, but that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think that makes her sound kinda sexy! Since then, to my ears, her voice has not only returned to its former glory, it's even better than before.
    To suggest her voice is as good now, if not even better then it was in her 70’s and 80’s heyday is perhaps being a little over zealous. Yes, she does sound very good for her age, but with the passing of time all voices decline loosing power, range and flexibility.
    One only has to compare her struggling to hit the notes in 2018 performances of “Home” and compare them to the Forum concert of 81 for glaring confirmation.
    I agree with others her voice does seem to have improved the last couple of years, sounding much clearer. Her voice also sound warm and inviting on the new album.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-18-2021 at 02:45 AM.

To suggest her voice is as good now, if not even better then it was in her 70’s and 80’s heyday is perhaps being a little over zealous. Yes, she does sound very good for her age, but with the passing of time all voices decline loosing power, range and flexibility.
    One only has to compare her struggling to hit the notes in 2018 performances of “Home” and compare them to the Forum concert of 81 for glaring confirmation.
    I agree with others her voice does seem to have improved the last couple of years, sounding much clearer. Her voice also sound warm and inviting on the new album.
    Huh? You agree with the others that Diana's voice has gotten even better over the past couple of years, yet you disagree with me when I said the very same thing! Let's just leave it with to each his own.

Carlo, the last time we saw Diana live was when she performed in Canandaigua, NY, around 2014-ish. She sang "Home" there as well and was pitch-perfect. The audience went wild, and I was never prouder to be a Motown/Diana Ross fan than I was that night in my hometown!
    Amazing! I know someone else who also attended that show, as Canandaigua is not far from our Canada/US border, and I had heard that it was a fantastic show It must have felt very special to see her in your hometown!
    Last edited by carlo; 10-18-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Amazing! I know someone else who also attended that show, as Canandaigua is not far from our Canada/US border, and I had heard that it was a fantastic show It must have felt very special to see her in your hometown!
    Yeah, Carlo, Canandaigua is about 30 minutes southeast of Rochester, NY, which is about an hour from Buffalo, NY, which is near the U.S./Canadian border. I'm glad your friend was able to verify what a fantastic show it was! Believe me when I say that I had no idea that people from the Finger Lakes area were such avid Diana fans, but, boy, were they ever! The entire show was electric from start to finish, with Diana and the audience constantly feeding off of each other. At the end of the show, Diana earned not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 individual encores and standing ovations! After leaving the stage each time, she returned to sing an additional song 3 separate times! Upon the 4th standing ovation, however, with the audience STILL begging for more, she drew the line and cut us off. Can't blame her! If she hadn't, we would have kept her there all night!

Huh? You agree with the others that Diana's voice has gotten even better over the past couple of years, yet you disagree with me when I said the very same thing! Let's just leave it with to each his own.
    Not quite my love. I agreed that her voice has improved from recent years. What I didn’t agree with is that at 77 her voice has returned to its former glory and is even better then before as you posted. I’m sorry, but that’s simply not true.
    Not being unkind, just honest and realistic.
    She still sounds good, so perhaps we should just leave it at that.

I hate to interrupt a rousing back-and-forth….
    But Gary do you recall the four encores?
    I’m guessing , really going out on a limb here, I will survive was the first ….

Hee haw , do you recall the Four Encores —- sound like I’m asking about an old sixties group lol.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-18-2021 at 05:17 PM.

The song was online on Apple music, but a few days later not available anymore...what happened? And by the way, I like the song very much

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    The song was online on Apple music, but a few days later not available anymore...what happened?
    Beats me. Paul of The Diana Ross Project posted a screenshot on IG that he'd gotten his preordered download of it the other day. I was concerned because I've preordered as well and--nada.

Diana’s voice is like a fine wine a beautiful wine it ages with phenomenal Flow she is without a doubt one of the most beautiful singers ever to grace the planets she is our baby doll

Not quite my love. I agreed that her voice has improved from recent years. What I didn’t agree with is that at 77 her voice has returned to its former glory and is even better then before as you posted. I’m sorry, but that’s simply not true.
    Not being unkind, just honest and realistic.
    She still sounds good, so perhaps we should just leave it at that.
    With all due respect, Ollie, speak for yourself. To my ears, she sounds better than ever. Period! You listen with your ears; I'll listen with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Diana’s voice is like a fine wine a beautiful wine it ages with phenomenal Flow she is without a doubt one of the most beautiful singers ever to grace the planets she is our baby doll
    Thanks, after you. I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

With all due respect, Ollie, speak for yourself. To my ears, she sounds better than ever. Period! You listen with your ears; I'll listen with mine.
    You may be listening with your ears, but I suspect you're also listening with your loyal fan's heart.

To me she sounds a bit raspy on the songs I've heard so far on certain notes and there's autotune applied to her vocals. Not much, and tastefully done so she doesn't sound like a robot, but there's some production there to enhance the vocals.

I think any singer in their 70s not completely consumed by delusion or ego will admit they can't do what they did vocally 40 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I hate to interrupt a rousing back-and-forth….
    But Gary do you recall the four encores?
    I’m guessing , really going out on a limb here, I will survive was the first ….

Hee haw , do you recall the Four Encores —- sound like I’m asking about an old sixties group lol.
    No problem, Boogie. I just don't appreciate being told that I'm not allowed to interpret what my own two ears are hearing.

Regarding Diana's encores that spectacular night, she definitely performed "I Will Survive", but whether or not it was among the encore tunes, I don't recall. One of the encores may have been "Strange Fruit" from "Lady..." Again, she indeed performed it, but whether or not as an encore, I don't recall. You gotta remember, Boog, it was 7 years ago. At 70, half the time, I'm lucky if I can remember what I had for supper the night before!

I can tell you that one particular highlight of that show was Diana's horn section. The trombonist, the baritone sax player, the guy who plays tenor sax, and probably a trumpeter were strategically placed out front of the orchestra and to the audience's left. Those guys were featured nearly as much as Diana herself and the back-up singers who were to the audience's right. For some songs, the horn section's part was cleverly choreographed. And, boy, were those guys good! In hindsight, I'm disappointed to report that Diana must have changed that part of her show. Based on her recent YouTube concert videos, the horn guys are no longer out front for the shows.

Hey, you laugh about The Encores! Look what I found!

https://youtu.be/2B2hqFeQlTQ

HeHe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    The song was online on Apple music, but a few days later not available anymore...what happened? And by the way, I like the song very much
    The release date for this single was pulled from her website a week or two ago, so they decided not to release I Still Believe as a single at this time, likely because If the World Just Dance is getting some attention in the UK and via the new YouTube video. I am guessing that the label forgot to update their digital tags, to keep I Still Believe from being available on iTunes and Apple Music last Friday. Someone at Decca probably realized the mistake too late, and then updated the digital tags, which usually takes 24 hours to fully update, hence the reason why the track disappeared a day or so later.

Honestly, I can't wait for the album, and I am loving what I am hearing, but the marketing efforts and strategic plan from the label thus far has been a complete mess, between this single mysteriously disappearing from her website schedule, then appearing on iTunes, and then disappearing. Then there's the album release date being delayed from September, as well as this latest low budget music video [[it's cute and fun, but low budget), etc. It seems like the label's plan is to just throw the album into the water, and then see if it swims. If they aren't going to properly promote it, then I really hope that all of us fans will be coming out in big numbers to buy and stream it. Despite the non-existent promotional efforts, the album itself thus far seems to be top notch, in a musical sense.
    Last edited by carlo; 10-20-2021 at 04:58 PM.

All the uploads of "I Still Believe" on YouTube have now been deleted. But someone posted "Just In Case" now. There are obviously many review copies flowing around for two months now, so it is only logical some of it gets "leaked."

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    You may be listening with your ears, but I suspect you're also listening with your loyal fan's heart.

To me she sounds a bit raspy on the songs I've heard so far on certain notes and there's autotune applied to her vocals. Not much, and tastefully done so she doesn't sound like a robot, but there's some production there to enhance the vocals.

I think any singer in their 70s not completely consumed by delusion or ego will admit they can't do what they did vocally 40 years earlier.
    Spreadinglove, I think I now understand where at least part of the misunderstanding lies. If you're referring to the overall sound of Diana's new CD, then I have to agree that there is an element of something very strange hanging over a song or two [[i.e., the title song "Thank You") that I couldn't put my finger on. If that's what AutoTune does, then I agree 100%. I don't like what it does to the music, and I don't like what it's doing to Diana's voice. [[I had wondered if it was because Diana recorded it at her home studio instead of at a professional recording studio.) That said, when I stated that Diana's voice sounds better than ever to me, I was referring to her natural voice which I've seen on TV [[when she sang "My Man" to Berry a couple of years ago), and in her recent concert videos. I hope that clears up the basis of my opinion for you as well as for Ollie.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-20-2021 at 06:36 PM.

There is [[was) a new mix of Diana's "I Still Believe" which combined it with "Stop In The Name Of Love". Of the various "I Still Believe" mixes, it's my favorite.

I just discovered this new ballad masterpiece:

"Time To Call"
    https://youtu.be/qTZf6g_2ZMs

I think I've fallen in love with Diana all over again!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.

If you consider her voice at 77 sounds better then it ever was that’s certainly your prerogative. I very much doubt Diana or anyone with a keen ear for music would agree, but such is life. Difference of opinion is what keeps things interesting, and your more then entitled to yours.
    As previously posted, i think she sounds great for her age.

I would very much agree. No matter how much we love our chosen icons, one has to be a little realistic. On the plus side, Diana’s deeper tones add warmth to her voice which to some degree makes up for reduced upper range and flexibility.

Thanks, after you. I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.
    Nothing but the truth ,thank you

Spreadinglove, I think I now understand where at least part of the misunderstanding lies. If you're referring to the overall sound of Diana's new CD, then I have to agree that there is an element of something very strange hanging over a song or two [[i.e., the title song "Thank You") that I couldn't put my finger on. If that's what AutoTune does, then I agree 100%. I don't like what it does to the music, and I don't like what it's doing to Diana's voice. [[I had wondered if it was because Diana recorded it at her home studio instead of at a professional recording studio.) That said, when I stated that Diana's voice sounds better than ever to me, I was referring to her natural voice which I've seen on TV [[when she sang "My Man" to Berry a couple of years ago), and in her recent concert videos. I hope that clears up the basis of my opinion for you as well as for Ollie.
    Singing certainly encompasses octave range and hitting the notes that one is capable of hitting. But singing should also, if it's to be good, needs to capture the emotion and tell the story. As I said earlier this week, Diana Ross has always been superb at that, even if the vocal range has narrowed over the decades and she can't hit certain notes like she used to. And with age, life experience and hopefully acquired wisdom, a good singer can use that to truly dig deep into the emotion and story of the song and convey that to their audience. So on that level, I can certainly agree with anyone who says Diana Ross sounds "better than ever". Certainly the theme of the Thank You album is something that's very meaningful to her. Combined that with the pandemic and she must have been inspired to give her all on these songs.

As a point of comparison, how about Billie Holliday? I much prefer her later recordings. Her voice was pretty ragged by then in terms of hitting the notes, but that ragged voice and her life experiences was ideal for the material she sang.

Singing certainly encompasses octave range and hitting the notes that one is capable of hitting. But singing should also, if it's to be good, needs to capture the emotion and tell the story. As I said earlier this week, Diana Ross has always been superb at that, even if the vocal range has narrowed over the decades and she can't hit certain notes like she used to. And with age, life experience and hopefully acquired wisdom, a good singer can use that to truly dig deep into the emotion and story of the song and convey that to their audience. So on that level, I can certainly agree with anyone who says Diana Ross sounds "better than ever". Certainly the theme of the Thank You album is something that's very meaningful to her. Combined that with the pandemic and she must have been inspired to give her all on these songs.

As a point of comparison, how about Billie Holliday? I much prefer her later recordings. Her voice was pretty ragged by then in terms of hitting the notes, but that ragged voice and her life experiences was ideal for the material she sang.
    I haven't listened to many of the clips from Diana's upcoming album, as I would like to hear the album in its entirety.

But I definitely agree re Billie Holiday. I have recordings from throughout her career. But when I feel the urge to listen to her, I pull out her last two albums, LADY IN SATIN and BILLIE HOLIDAY. The vocals are definitely different from her heyday but gosh, the amount of feeling she put into those songs. I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS, END OF A LOVE AFFAIR, and JUST ONE MORE CHANCE, amongst others just ring with feeling. It sounds like she went through every emotion those songs mention.

I just hope it's not Ms Ross leaking herself....but seriously, this is just one mistake after another and messy...Not what she deserves.

The release date for this single was pulled from her website a week or two ago, so they decided not to release I Still Believe as a single at this time, likely because If the World Just Dance is getting some attention in the UK and via the new YouTube video. I am guessing that the label forgot to update their digital tags, to keep I Still Believe from being available on iTunes and Apple Music last Friday. Someone at Decca probably realized the mistake too late, and then updated the digital tags, which usually takes 24 hours to fully update, hence the reason why the track disappeared a day or so later.

Honestly, I can't wait for the album, and I am loving what I am hearing, but the marketing efforts and strategic plan from the label thus far has been a complete mess, between this single mysteriously disappearing from her website schedule, then appearing on iTunes, and then disappearing. Then there's the album release date being delayed from September, as well as this latest low budget music video [[it's cute and fun, but low budget), etc. It seems like the label's plan is to just throw the album into the water, and then see if it swims. If they aren't going to properly promote it, then I really hope that all of us fans will be coming out in big numbers to buy and stream it. Despite the non-existent promotional efforts, the album itself thus far seems to be top notch, in a musical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I haven't listened to many of the clips from Diana's upcoming album, as I would like to hear the album in its entirety.

But I definitely agree re Billie Holiday. I have recordings from throughout her career. But when I feel the urge to listen to her, I pull out her last two albums, LADY IN SATIN and BILLIE HOLIDAY. The vocals are definitely different from her heyday but gosh, the amount of feeling she put into those songs. I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS, END OF A LOVE AFFAIR, and JUST ONE MORE CHANCE, amongst others just ring with feeling. It sounds like she went through every emotion those songs mention.
    By coincidence i just ordered a Billie Holiday album off Amazon today reese. I love her 50’s recordings with a small setting, not so fond of that last album where she sounds quite sick.
    Aside the natural wear and tear, age has lent Diana’s voice a warmer, more mature sound that is fully evidenced on the new album. With this in mind, i would dearly love to hear her record a whole album devoted to jazz. Perhaps a tribute to Billie, to include rare recordings.

being released wed,..... nov 3 just b4 the album. love this one

Here it is https://youtu.be/fWi8PQSl-iA so sorry so beautiful
    Last edited by after you; 11-02-2021 at 10:55 PM.