[REMOVE ADS]

Father and daughter walk up the aisle song ideas

Soon I have the immense pleasure of walking my daughter up the aisle at her wedding. She has requested that I come up with a suitable Motown song to play whilst we do the walking.

I'm so pleased that she has asked for a Motown song for this purpose but I've drawn a blank for a song that covers the essence of a father and daughter in this setting.

Can I please ask for your ideas.

Congrats to your daughter, Rovereab! The first Motown song that comes to mind is Marvin & Tammi's "Sad Wedding", although I wouldn't recommend it! Ha! How about Marvin & Tammi's "You're All I Need To Get By". It says it all, and it's one of Motown's prettiest.

It would be a long walk, but ENDLESS LOVE would be nice. I suppose you could cut out a verse or two.

Congratulations!

Yes I would agree with Endless Love or perhaps I Hear A Symphony. We used Diana's Why Do Fools Fall In Love for our walk-out song, at the end of the ceremony

How about Diana's "Now That There's You" from her first solo album? Or, better yet, Diana's solo version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" from her "Force Behind The Power" CD.

Not sure either of these will be appropriate but the Marvelettes had a beautiful, though unreleased song, "Little Girls Grow Up." The story line goes from childhood to a father walking his daughter down the aisle. The other song is Claudette Robinson's "Father Dear."

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I initially thought of You're All I Need but I feel that song would be more appropriate for the newly weds than father and daughter.

I already have a special dance in the evening for us two with Turn Around by Diana Ross playing.

The "aisle song" is a difficult nut to crack!

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I initially thought of You're All I Need but I feel that song would be more appropriate for the newly weds than father and daughter.

I already have a special dance in the evening for us two with Turn Around by Diana Ross playing.

The "aisle song" is a difficult nut to crack!

Thanks everyone.
    Rovereab, you're absolutely right about "You're All I Need To Get By" being more appropriate for the Bride & Groom. That hadn't occurred to me until now.. I think your choice of Diana's "Turn Around" is perfect for the Father & Daughter dance! Let me put on my thinking cap for that Father & Daughter "Down The Aisle" segment.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-16-2021 at 02:15 PM.

If all else fails "Third Finger, Left Hand"

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I think your choice of Diana's "Turn Around" is perfect for the Father & Daughter dance!.
    I well up just thinking about this dance to Turn Around!

I well up just thinking about this dance to Turn Around!
    Diana's performance is inspiring, for sure! She has the power to break a heart with one note. If it's any consolation, my father cried when he walked my sister down the aisle at her wedding. If you should shed a tear, just blame it on Diana!

My daughter and i danced to[my girl]at her wedding.

Rovereab, what would you think of Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely"? It's definitely a tribute to his beloved daughter. I really wanted to recommend Stevie's "Overjoyed" because it's so beautiful, but a couple of the lines throughout, I think, are too romantic.

Ah yes I have the sixties sheet music to "Turn Around". By Freddie and The Dreamers all those years ago. Maybe not Motown lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...otolist-WCUcNU

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Ah yes I have the sixties sheet music to "Turn Around". By Freddie and The Dreamers all those years ago. Maybe not Motown lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...otolist-WCUcNU
    Yeah, it’s definitely a Harry Belafonte original.

If you had someone with good music file editing abilities, you could use "We Couldn't Get Along Without You" [from the recent Sing HDH:EE] and edit "My World Is Empty Without You" from "I Hear A Symphony:EE" [I cite them as two recent very-well mastered options] and excise out the parts about "Berry" and put in instrumental sections where they originally were. It could possible come across as a bit egotistical that you think she couldn't get along without you and how wonderful you [Berry] are, but... it's an option. It's seemingly easy to find songs in the Supremes/Motown canon that are great for a couple... but Father/Daughter is a challenge to make sure it doesn't sound, well, "creepy."

I'm sure you'll find the right thing, Eamonn!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yeah, it’s definitely a Harry Belafonte original.
    It's such a beautiful song which Diana does justice too. I need to decide which version. I have the original TMITM, the quad version and the alternate version.

At least I don't need to consider Junior Walker's Shotgun for the wedding

at least i don't need to consider junior walker's shotgun for the wedding
    lol!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-17-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Soon I have the immense pleasure of walking my daughter up the aisle at her wedding. She has requested that I come up with a suitable Motown song to play whilst we do the walking.
    ...my fave Motown wedding song is For Better Or Worse ...by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations...

Grape

I think “My Girl” is a great choice - it’s an all time classic, it’s super well known, not too fast and not too slow, and nothing in the lyric makes the song specific to romantic love, it could very easily fit family and friends. “Isn’t She Lovely” is another great call!

Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed here.

My Girl will be the aisle walk music and my special father/daughter dance in the evening will be Turn Around - the Quad mix as Diana's vocal is more up front. I'm expecting a few tears with Turn Around

My Girl will be the aisle walk music and my special father/daughter dance in the evening will be Turn Around - the Quad mix as Diana's vocal is more up front. I'm expecting a few tears with Turn Around
    The best choices. Best wishes!

All excellent choices! Best of luck to you and your family on your daughter's special day! [[PS: As luck would have it, another Motown track has occurred to me - Martha & The Vandellas' "Let This Day Be").

I Hear A Symphony but not the normal version we are accustomed to. All my CDs are packed up for my upcoming move so I can't take a look.

I have a non-Motown CD of beautifully produced instrumentals with lots of strings. I know I Hear A Symphony is the title of the release. Found it!

I Hear a Symphony: The Classic Hits of Motown https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002R0HT...WVTCB113B95YKT

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    I Hear A Symphony but not the normal version we are accustomed to. All my CDs are packed up for my upcoming move so I can't take a look.

I have a non-Motown CD of beautifully produced instrumentals with lots of strings. I know I Hear A Symphony is the title of the release. Found it!

I Hear a Symphony: The Classic Hits of Motown https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002R0HT...WVTCB113B95YKT
    Wow! Motownlover, I have this CD, too, but had temporarily forgotten all about it. If ever there were a Motown song fit for a wedding, this is it! The Classical arrangement with massive choir is magnificent! Rovereab, you should check this out before making your FINAL final decision. [[WARNING: If you're already getting teary-eyed, as you mentioned, you'll need a whole box of tissues for this one!) Here's the YouTube AUDIO link:

THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA & CHOIR - "I Hear A Symphony" [[Audio Link)
    https://youtu.be/X_dXJK0m_j4
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-20-2021 at 02:10 PM.

I know you've chosen your Aisle song, but I think Still Water would also have been nice, especially with the opening "Walk with me, Take my hand". The lyrics can also be applied to a father-daughter relationship.

How about "It Should Have Been Me"? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    How about "It Should Have Been Me"? Not really.
    HaHa! Motownlover, I thought of that one, too!!!

Not Motown, but one of the ballads from Diana’s new album would be rather nice.

Well, whatever you do, don't use "Someday We'll Be Together" or "Nowhere to Run".
    LOL.