[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Supremes Sing Country, Western, and Pop

Last night, as I was driving home I was listening to this album. I continue to be amazed at how well, in my opinion, it was produced by Clarence Paul who also wrote many of the songs. From some research, I read that Stevie Wonder wrote or either co-wrote 2 of the songs which was supposedly the first time any act other than himself recorded one of his songs. I always thought the tracks were recorded 1962-early 1964; however, Wikipedia led me to believe some were recorded in 1965, the same year it was released.

My question is: Why was this album produced in the first place? Was Motown at a point where it could financially afford to produce an album on a relatively unknown act such as the Supremes at that time?

OR: Were these tracks, among the many other tracks that had been recorded ,compiled as an afterthought, after the Supremes' success, and then released to show the Supremes versatility.

My take is that in 1962-63, producers were experimenting with a sound that would connect with an audience and the c&w idea came up. Even "My Heart Can't Take It No More" was released as a single...now that's country.

Berry Gordy must have seen a lot of potential in the Supremes for all of that effort and recordings to have been made. Mary and Florence's background vocals are wonderful [[when not overwhelmed by the added Andantes), and Diana's vocal evolvement is evident with almost a different timbre in each song.

I really enjoy the album. My favorites are "Funny How Time Flies Away", "Tears in Vain" and "Baby Doll" I am surprised that was not chosen as a single...maybe this was recorded after their success with HDH?
    Last edited by jobucats; 10-14-2021 at 10:51 AM.