[REMOVE ADS]

Take a closer look at me

In Mary's book supreme glamour she states that Jean recorded take a closer look as a solo artist for possible supremes release and we added our vocals to these tracks later. I know t andantes did a lot of backup work on that lp right on but were Mary and cindy on that track it's a great song and Jean was superb on lead vocals

As we know the songs that Frank Wilson produced Mary and Cindy sang on them. Plus You Move Me and Then I Met You.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    In Mary's book supreme glamour she states that Jean recorded take a closer look as a solo artist for possible supremes release and we added our vocals to these tracks later. I know t andantes did a lot of backup work on that lp right on but were Mary and cindy on that track it's a great song and Jean was superb on lead vocals
    The backing vocals always seemed to me to be Mary and Cindy. I do love the track -

This track always sound like just The Andantes, but Mary and Cindy could certainly be in the mix somewhere. I'm always pleased to find out when M&C are on tracks I assumed were The Andantes.

I agree with you, Thornton. I always figured it's only the Andantes on this track. Great song btw. One of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    As we know the songs that Frank Wilson produced Mary and Cindy sang on them. Plus You Move Me and Then I Met You.
    Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

Frank did Ladder, Loving Country, Everybody, but i love you more

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio singers
    Last edited by sup_fan; 10-13-2021 at 02:55 PM.

You forgot Baby Baby that Frank produced
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio singers

if ever an album other than A GO GO, needs an expanded edition , it would be this album.
    i say a combo possibly
    Right On expanded / Lost and Found

You forgot Baby Baby that Frank produced
    that's right! i knew there was a fifth one!

i'm also guessing that frank was the Exec producer so he would have had a hand in selecting which tracks were included

Life beats ....was a gem

[QUOTE=sup_fan;663558]Henry Cosby produced Just Take A Closer Look at Me and Al Kent did You Move Me. Jimmy Roach did Then I Met You

the BG vocals for Take A Closer Look were recorded on 1/20. my guess here is that it's only the A's [[or whatever studio singers). It is certainly possible that there were multiple recording dates for backing vocals but it's not listed on anything. we have dates of multiple Jean lead dates for this song. but if we assume just that 1 recording date then it's most likely just the studio

thanks for t enlightenment I think Mary and cindy would have sounded great on that record alone but t A's did a good job.

It is possible that Mary and Cindy might have added their vocals seeing that it was after the farewell show and before their Ed Sullivan debut. They had a full month for recording and rehearsal

It is possible that Mary and Cindy might have added their vocals seeing that it was after the farewell show and before their Ed Sullivan debut. They had a full month for recording and rehearsal
    absolutely. there's basically no info on the track Baby Baby but then other songs have lots and lots of recording dates noted. like when lead was recorded, when additional lead was recorded, when strings were added, etc.

So it is certainly possible that we just don't have the info

"Take A Closer Look At Me" is a dynamite track! Jean and the back-up girls soar! I think it would have been an excellent follow-up single to "Up The Ladder To The Roof". "Everybody Has The Right To Love" was a pleasant-enough album track, but it lacked hit-single potential. [[The 45 mix always seemed too slow to me, whereas the LP version was a tad more uptempo.) Either way, "Take A Closer Look At Me" had the hit-record spark.