[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Museum Expansion Project Update REPOST

For some reason, the thread with the name "Update As Of Oct. 10 On Motown Museum Expansion Project" is not displaying. As of yet we cannot determine the reason why. So I am recreating the thread. The original poster is welcome recreate his post below. Keep calm, and carry on.

Here is the latest progress report on the Motown Museum expansion. Although the museum is currently closed, I strongly urge other forum members to contribute whatever
    they can to this worthwhile project. Go to www.motownmuseum.org for details on how to contribute and support this endeavour.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...gs/6023468001/

Thank you, Lowell.

Looks a great project, but I'm glad I visited Hitsville " as it was in the day".

I've no doubt that the big Detroit players and their foundations... Gilbert, Illich, Fords, The Big 3, Davidson, and the rest with more money than they know what to do with and can actually use the tax writeoffs will provide all the funds needed for whatever funding is necessary to complete the project...

While I'm 100% for the expansion of the complex, my only complaint is I wish they would have left the lawns intact in front of Hitsville and the rest of the homes. Brings to mind "paving paradise..." One of my favorite photos of Hitsville in the period is with The Supremes, H-D-H, and BG with the guitar hanging out on the front lawn. Obviously it was likely staged with promotion in mind, but it will be hard to picture that scene the next time I'm there with a sea of granite pavers in front of me instead. :[[

I do agree StuBass1 that there is plenty more money around Detroit to finance the rest of the project. Hopefully a handful of these organizations will step up and take it over the line soon.

I understood that Ford Motor Company had donated 50 million dollars to the project. Having been involved with museum projects I know that when the architects and consultants and contractors get involved that that money can evaporate very quickly!! If there is any graft involved in the zoning and permit processes it goes away extremely quick. I drove by there last week.....To my eyes, ground has not been broken as of yet
    Maybe someone here has an update?....The longer they wait, the more expensive it gets!! I wish the Expansion was right on West Grand Boulevard next to the existing museum houses [[instead of BEHIND in that funky broken-down street!) It would be a much more prominent location!

Ford Motor Co./UAW Ford donated a total of $6 million to the effort. Had they given $50M the project would likely have been completed by now. The first 2 phases of the project have been completed, which weren't really *major* projects. The 3rd phase would be the large complex building behind Hitsville which is the largest and obviously most expensive part of the project. I recently posted on a thread here that as of August 9th, the MM reported it has raised $43 million so far. I wish Mr. Gordy would just flip the rest of the bill so it can be completed, possibly in his lifetime so he could attend the dedication of the complex. Wishful thinking probably.....
    Darin

I forgot to mention since my last post in Oct of 2021 the front yard is now transformed into the brick paver "Rocket Plaza" and was unveiled on August 8th. Now I know I'm definitely not a fan of the look, with pavers right up to the front porch of Hitsville.....

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I forgot to mention since my last post in Oct of 2021 the front yard is now transformed into the brick paver "Rocket Plaza" and was unveiled on August 8th. Now I know I'm definitely not a fan of the look, with pavers right up to the front porch of Hitsville.....
    Exactly. They ruined the charm of what made Hitsville special. A house in a neighborhood that changed the world.

Latest on fundraising as of 8/31/22.

Motown Museum could get $10M as part of $343M targeted at Michigan projects

Washington — Ten million dollars to expand the Motown Museum in Detroit is among at least $343.5 million earmarked for Michigan projects in spending bills that are making their way through Congress for the next fiscal year.

What in the HELL have they done to the outside of 2648 W. Grand Blvd.?Are you friggin kidil me?THIS WAS A SHRINE!@!! WHY?

Story from TheGrio.com yesterday:

https://thegrio.com/2022/09/09/motow...-of-expansion/

One of my biggest regrets is not visiting Motown before the renovation. I don’t like this at all. I could never find anyone that wanted to go to Detroit. Now Motown is unrecognizable. Cass Tech and the Brewster projects are gone. Like the saying goes, “ never put off until tomorrow what you can do today”.

Couldn’t agree more with DWSheffer, bradsupremes, motony. Replacing the grass in front of 2648 WGB with stark, severe flagstones is unforgivable insensitivity. All character of the homely, vibrant pioneering spirit is lost. By all means turn the area behind 2648 into a modern plaza but for pity’s sake why have they disfigured the face of our beautiful icon? I have my head in my hands.

Here is a recent article in the Detroit Free Press regarding the museum expansion with up-to-date renderings:
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...s/65742369007/