[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin - Take Me Clear From Here Soul Train January 25, 1975

This has always sounded so off the beaten path for me, especially for a Soul Train
    performance. Still, I like it a lot, more than the other side, Rock and Roll....David looked
    so healthy and strong at the time. Always wished he'd done a live set...

Not really off the path. The way I see it, if Chuck Berry can perform on Soul Train with his his style of Rick, then everyone else comes off soulful by comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    This has always sounded so off the beaten path for me, especially for a Soul Train
    performance. Still, I like it a lot, more than the other side, Rock and Roll....David looked
    so healthy and strong at the time. Always wished he'd done a live set...

Nothing at all to do with a perspective of soulfulness though it and the kinds of song
    delivery I'm thinking of are indeed that. Not so much what it's trying to do as what it's
    determined to NOT. Not being aim for a chart position. Marvin secured that role within
    Motown with much of WGO and the Trouble Man album but I was thinking outside tracks.
    Ever heard Ojays Who Am I or Mandrill's Love Song. Anyway Chuck Berry's skills and diversity is probably only known to less than a quarter of his fans. They were lucky he
    was too generous an entertainer to keep them baited too long...

After listening to it again it does flow with the kids and the mood it has a certain groove to it
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Nothing at all to do with a perspective of soulfulness though it and the kinds of song
    delivery I'm thinking of are indeed that. Not so much what it's trying to do as what it's
    determined to NOT. Not being aim for a chart position. Marvin secured that role within
    Motown with much of WGO and the Trouble Man album but I was thinking outside tracks.
    Ever heard Ojays Who Am I or Mandrill's Love Song. Anyway Chuck Berry's skills and diversity is probably only known to less than a quarter of his fans. They were lucky he
    was too generous an entertainer to keep them baited too long...

Great song and performance, very groovy

I like David's 1974 version of "Take Me Clear From Here" a lot. It's pure Norman Whitfield, as was Edwin Starr's original version from 1970, although I much prefer the string arrangements on David's version.

Edwin Starr: "Take Me Clear From Here" [[Soul 1970)

https://youtu.be/8SuBa4_Le4w

NOTE: That sure sounds like Billy Calvin & Brenda Evans of The Undisputed Truth backing up Edwin.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-12-2021 at 06:01 AM.

I Love the Edwin Starr version, thought you might like David Ruffins US 45 "Take Me Clear From Here"
    great track and very few 45's.

This Track is listed as unissued in the U.S. It was issued in the UK on a Black Tamla Motown 45 Only released in the US on the "Me N' Rock & Roll" Album.it is backed with "I Just Want To Celebrate" which I have also uploaded on Youtube