[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson EXPANDED PHYSICAL CD "features exclusive tributes to Mary"

"
    The booklet also features exclusive tributes to Mary from such luminaries as Dionne Warwick, Darlene Love, Otis Williams, Duke Fakir, Brenda Holloway, Rita Coolidge, Merry Clayton, Brenda Russell, and Blinky Williams.
    "

Looks like commentaries from only the best!
    …. With nobody missing !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-08-2021 at 01:54 AM.

And of course Hilary Clinton!

I wonder if Lynda, Scherrie or Susaye were contacted? They all posted beautiful, heartfelt messages on social media after Mary's passing.

These threads about Mary and her CD only make me wish that she had been able to swallow her pride etc. and say yes to some reunion tour, most of all with Diana but even with other Supremes.

I understand why she couldn't and wouldn't and I'm sure there are fans that think she was not treated with enough respect as she herself thought. But in the end, it seems to me that she came out missing out on the most and on something she really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These threads about Mary and her CD only make me wish that she had been able to swallow her pride etc. and say yes to some reunion tour, most of all with Diana but even with other Supremes.

I understand why she couldn't and wouldn't and I'm sure there are fans that think she was not treated with enough respect as she herself thought. But in the end, it seems to me that she came out missing out on the most and on something she really wanted.
    I have to agree. But I also think it's great for the memory of Mary and for her fans that the Anthology has a physical release from one of the best reissue labels there is; the set will be done expertly.

Nicely said, PeaceNHarmony. I was just thinking of this upcoming set this evening and was also remembering our Mary. I look forward to its release and to receiving my two copies that I ordered. It will be a lovely thing to remember her by, and I know that the team behind it put a lot of love and hard work into it. Mary would be so proud. I know she is looking down and smiling.

I always hoped or had a strange suspicion that there would be an MSS reunion. It seemed to most plausible from the surviving lineups. They all had been seen together in recent years, and I thought if anything, they could do a one off.

I'm very happy about this Mary Wilson Anthology, i can't wait to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ""

Looks like commentaries from only the best!
    …. With nobody missing !!
    Mary Wilson was never the allusive diva, showing kindness and respect throughout her life and career to everyone she met. The fact so many in the industry wish to pay tribute is a glowing testament to the kind of person she really was. Lady Supreme forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Mary Wilson was never the allusive diva, showing kindness and respect throughout her life and career to everyone she met. The fact so many in the industry wish to pay tribute is a glowing testament to the kind of person she really was. Lady Supreme forever.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Only thing she appears to have missed out on is the money. I've opined previously that if Mary could go back she would've handled RTL differently because she stood to make a great deal of money with the tour than without. That opinion is not to be confused with my thoughts that she had legitimate gripes with the way things were handled. But ultimately I suspect the money she would have made for "just showing up" might have served her better in the long run. But of course there is also something to be said about having principles that go above and beyond money.

But in the end, to see how beloved Mary was, it shows how despite not having the long money Diana has, or the illustrious solo career that Diana has, that Mary was still a winner. What good does all the money in the world do you when you're unhappy and miserable? Mary appears to have been loving life since the Primettes days. Was every day a happy day? Of course not. Did she have regrets? Sure. Did some dreams go unfulfilled? You betcha. But every time Mary got knocked on her ass, she hopped back up with a "Is that all you got?" attitude. Even after the trauma of losing her son, she still refused to let life beat her ass. And I love it.

Too much emphasis is placed on money and career accomplishments as an indicator of happiness. But I think one only has to watch Mary perform, or see her interviewed, or hear the tons of memorials she received in the wake of her passing from such an eclectic collection of individuals, not just talking about her impact as a performer, but talking about her impact as a human being, to know that Mary was ecstatic about life.

I'm thinking Mary didn't miss out on any of the stuff that really matters in the end.

Absolutely Ollie. But you say Lady Supreme. I love to think of Mary as the Queen Supreme. [[Without her Princess Margaret impression, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Only thing she appears to have missed out on is the money. I've opined previously that if Mary could go back she would've handled RTL differently because she stood to make a great deal of money with the tour than without. That opinion is not to be confused with my thoughts that she had legitimate gripes with the way things were handled. But ultimately I suspect the money she would have made for "just showing up" might have served her better in the long run. But of course there is also something to be said about having principles that go above and beyond money.

But in the end, to see how beloved Mary was, it shows how despite not having the long money Diana has, or the illustrious solo career that Diana has, that Mary was still a winner. What good does all the money in the world do you when you're unhappy and miserable? Mary appears to have been loving life since the Primettes days. Was every day a happy day? Of course not. Did she have regrets? Sure. Did some dreams go unfulfilled? You betcha. But every time Mary got knocked on her ass, she hopped back up with a "Is that all you got?" attitude. Even after the trauma of losing her son, she still refused to let life beat her ass. And I love it.

Too much emphasis is placed on money and career accomplishments as an indicator of happiness. But I think one only has to watch Mary perform, or see her interviewed, or hear the tons of memorials she received in the wake of her passing from such an eclectic collection of individuals, not just talking about her impact as a performer, but talking about her impact as a human being, to know that Mary was ecstatic about life.

I'm thinking Mary didn't miss out on any of the stuff that really matters in the end.

yes!! Mary was a grand exemplar of having a can do attitude about life .
    [& no doubt witnessing Flo's path impacted her awareness]

but
    naturally Mary hungered for a bit of a more tangible affirmation of her long stint as a solo artist. She was forever embedded with the label of being a 'Supreme', an honor she proudly embraced and rightfully so. I sense that Mary truly treasured those Motown years in a way few others did. She had a ball!
    It is too bad the industry didn't try to find a way to properly reward her. If hit guiders like Clive Davis or Neil Bogart , David Geffin, had tapped into her , likely she could've had a rejuvenating post- Supremes 'hurrah' to additionally hang her hat on, which would have been a nice bit of icing on a regardless blessed performing career.

Absolutely Ollie. But you say Lady Supreme. I love to think of Mary as the Queen Supreme. [[Without her Princess Margaret impression, of course.)
    Your so right, Queen Supreme is far more fitting. The fact the Princess Margaret impression was so awful is what made it so wonderful LOL. God bless her.
    I agree in that what happened to Florence most likely enforced her own determination to succeed in a very tough business.

This is brilliant.

I often have joked that Mary always lived her life like it was 1966; the champagne was flowing and she was on top. Maybe the joke was on me?

I'd met Mary several times, spoke on the phone several times, and were in touch off and on over the years. There was always something so GRAND about her. Not pretentious, but if you were in her presence, you knew you were with someone special. There maybe was another thread about this; simply by the way she carried herself, you knew she was SOMEBODY.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    This is brilliant.

I often have joked that Mary always lived her life like it was 1966; the champagne was flowing and she was on top. Maybe the joke was on me?

I'd met Mary several times, spoke on the phone several times, and were in touch off and on over the years. There was always something so GRAND about her. Not pretentious, but if you were in her presence, you knew you were with someone special. There maybe was another thread about this; simply by the way she carried herself, you knew she was SOMEBODY.
    And rightfully so, because she certainly was.

I think you are saying something I was trying to as well. Mary enjoyed her high life at Motown , all the more so because the reality of it was so entirely impossible, yet there she was doing things way beyond her imagination , all at such a formative young time in her life.

Of course she carried that with her her entire life. She was one of the friggin' SUPREMES for crying out loud.

[I'm not challenging you marybrewster if it reads that way, I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-24-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    And rightfully so, because she certainly was.

I think you are saying something I was trying to as well. Mary enjoyed her high life at Motown , all the more so because the reality of it was so entirely impossible, yet there she was doing things way beyond her imagination , all at such a formative young time in her life.

Of course she carried that with her her entire life. She was one of the friggin' SUPREMES for crying out loud.

[I'm not challenging you marybrewster if it reads that way, I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you]
    No, I knew you were agreeing with me. And if not, I respect your opinion. That's how boards like this work.

Another thing is, Mary ALWAYS played the part. I think she talked in one of her books how Jean [[?) often would buck the whole "image" thing. Not onstage, but offstage. She would want to wear something casual, and Mary was like.....but you're a Supreme! Now, Mary certainly had a few misses over the years, but generally speaking, always looked regal.

Your so right, Queen Supreme is far more fitting. The fact the Princess Margaret impression was so awful is what made it so wonderful LOL. God bless her.
    I agree in that what happened to Florence most likely enforced her own determination to succeed in a very tough business.
    I believe Mary wrote about thinking of Flo at certain times and vowing not to let the same thing happen to herself.

No, I knew you were agreeing with me. And if not, I respect your opinion. That's how boards like this work.

Another thing is, Mary ALWAYS played the part. I think she talked in one of her books how Jean [[?) often would buck the whole "image" thing. Not onstage, but offstage. She would want to wear something casual, and Mary was like.....but you're a Supreme! Now, Mary certainly had a few misses over the years, but generally speaking, always looked regal.
    I always thought Mary looked the most chic, particularly from the DMF years.

This is brilliant.

She was Supreme for sure. Her zest for life seemed to have no end. I watched a couple of old Supremes interviews, namely the one the girls did with some interviewer outside of a hotel. I guess it was 1966. Was it in Toronto? I think I remember them talking about it. Or was it Montreal? Not that it's pertinent to my point, so moving on. Anyway, Mary just came across as the one who couldn't wait for the interview to end so she could find a chandelier to swing on. And what struck me was how her essence hadn't changed from that day in 66 to that last Youtube video she uploaded. I was also struck by how much her voice has deepened since then also, but that's neither here nor there.

I always thought Mary looked the most chic, particularly from the DMF years.
    I think Diana had chic on lock. Mary's style was more hip, IMO. Flo was often a mix of the two, but she was also the one who was more likely to be dressed a bit more homely. I get so annoyed when I see pics of the girls and Diana and Mary look so Supreme, and then there's Flo looking like she's going to teach a class, at best, or looking as if she's going to wash a load of clothes, at worse. And the reason it annoys me so is because IMO of the three of them, when they get really glammed up, Flo was the most stunning of the three to my eyes.

I think Diana had chic on lock. Mary's style was more hip, IMO. Flo was often a mix of the two, but she was also the one who was more likely to be dressed a bit more homely. I get so annoyed when I see pics of the girls and Diana and Mary look so Supreme, and then there's Flo looking like she's going to teach a class, at best, or looking as if she's going to wash a load of clothes, at worse. And the reason it annoys me so is because IMO of the three of them, when they get really glammed up, Flo was the most stunning of the three to my eyes.
    Yes, hip would perhaps be a better way to describe Mary’s look from that period. Casual smart. I often thought Diana wore some very strange creations, but being Diana she could somehow get away with it.
    Ironically, considering it was the year everything started to unravel, Flo to me looked her best in 67, complete with her chic, natural short hairstyle.

I watched a couple of old Supremes interviews, namely the one the girls did with some interviewer outside of a hotel. I guess it was 1966. Was it in Toronto? I think I remember them talking about it. Or was it Montreal?
    It was in Toronto

https://youtu.be/mdclAVfAx_k

This is the 66 interview
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

Interview from Montréal 1967

Yes, hip would perhaps be a better way to describe Mary’s look from that period. Casual smart. I often thought Diana wore some very strange creations, but being Diana she could somehow get away with it.
    Ironically, considering it was the year everything started to unravel, Flo to me looked her best in 67, complete with her chic, natural short hairstyle.

I also thought Flo looked her best during her last months with the group as well as late '66. It would have been interesting to see where she would have taken her look had she remained in the group. Can you imagine Flo is those black gowns from Forever Came Today on Sullivan? She would have killed it in that one.

Florence's best off-stage outfits included the orange sweater she wore on the cover of More Hits... and the cream with taupe unobtrusive windowpane plaid long-sleeved dress shown, for instance, on page six of the H-D-H extended edition booklet. The latter outfit, worn for group shots with Mary in a tawny gold and brown horizontal striped dress and Diana in a cream, red and black suit, saw all three women looking at or near their best. Mary's wig was the most successful of the three.

Mary wore the same striped dress for the Hollywood Bowl rehearsal, but this was one of at least two times when Cindy looked more elegant and classy. Cindy was wearing a street-length dress with a cut that made it seem like a precursor of their In & Out Of Love dresses from The Ed Sullivan Show.

At the Expo '67 shoot, Mary's blonde wig was the best part of her wardrobe. The rick rack trim on the jacket made her suit look gaudy and cheap, and the boots, of some shiny material that didn't go with the casual style of the suit, looked out-of-place and terribly wrong and uncomfortable for a walk around a hot, dusty fairground. Cindy's outfit was nothing special. Diana's dress and hair were terrific, but her shoes were slightly off; they had what then were considered "spike heels," which were fine with knee-length or floor-length skirts but not as correct with a mini-skirt. Several months later, for the Primes/Primettes medley on The Ed Sullivan Show, she wore shoes with a slightly lower, thicker heel and had the style just right. Also, she looked very sexy.

In the walk-about-Mexico photo shoot with Ron Ely, Mary again wore an outfit -- a collarless coat with a cape and elbow-length flared sleeves that left the upper shoulders exposed and a halter dress of the same or similar gold material -- that all in all tried too hard and failed. Cindy again outdid her, wearing a simple, elegant two-toned dress. Diana looked playful yet sophisticated in a coat and dress with a classic cut but made with a modern print fabric.

And, of course, that autumn saw Cindy's national television debut with the group, and she looked stunning in the sleek silvery gowns studded with blue gems the group wore to sing Reflections on The Hollywood Palace. Mary again wore a blonde wig, as she did also during the Mexico shoot, and Diana's hairstyle, also seen in the Primes/Primettes' medley, was one of the most flattering she wore during her years with The Supremes.

When is this officially released

This is a long overdue and much deserved tribute to Mary. I only wish that she were still alive. I have a special connection to Mary, in that we share the same birthday [[March 6th).

I just don't understand why Diana couldn't have taken some time to write a tribute to her to be included on this release.

I don't understand why she didn't.

Was Diana asked to write a tribute?...does Diana even know of this release?

Mary knew that she mishandled the situation and wished that she had done it differently. It turned into a pissing contest, she underestimated her old pal diana, not only did they both lose out but so did the fans. She knew all of that. Eventually Mary understood that the $20 million what is total BS, but she clung to it because it worked so well and it covered up The big issue for her really: that the promotion company didn’t even think of coming to her or including her in anything, making Diana the important one again and Mary was so so so sensitive to that. Diana made it worse of course by not including her in anything, and I completely understand why and I don’t blame her necessarily, but I think she felt that Mary would be grateful to be doing the tour, making the money and that would be good enough. So the money was a big deal to mary but she never ever thought that she wouldn’t be on the tour until it went on without her. So she had a lot of regrets, that she had a hell of a good time around those regrets.

it’s very true that the measure of success and happiness has nothing to do with having bundles of money, but Mary was a little bitter about money. She knew that she had earned a lot more than she was given, and she was genuinely concerned for her finances After she was unable to work anymore.
    COVID made that worse. Mary had a taste for finer things, not extravagant, but definitely finer things and when she thought about that and measured what she could afford versus what she wanted occasionally it made her unhappy.

I can't imagine Mary didn't have regrets but how many little girls get to be a fricken Supreme?

End of story. Except you get to talk about it forever.

Say it louder for the back of the room!

say it louder for the back of the room!
    SAY it loud! She’s a supreme! She was proud!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Was Diana asked to write a tribute?...does Diana even know of this release?
    Diana might know of the release because [[a) fans and twitter, and [[b) I imagine she could stand to receive royalties for her participation in songs included on the release for which Diana sang on. But was she asked to include a tribute? My guess is no. I think Diana is still a formidable personality that cause people to think about what they say to her at any given time, and only the bravest of souls bother to ask her specifically about Mary Wilson. Sorry to say but I think the name of Mary Wilson, and even Florence Ballard, are still and will always be off limit topics except in the rarest of moments.

I'd also rather not imagine a Diana Ross that is asked to include some thoughts on Mary in what will probably be Mary's only expanded edition ever and she would decline to comment. That's not a Diana Ross that would be endearing to me, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary knew that she mishandled the situation and wished that she had done it differently. It turned into a pissing contest, she underestimated her old pal diana, not only did they both lose out but so did the fans. She knew all of that. Eventually Mary understood that the $20 million what is total BS, but she clung to it because it worked so well and it covered up The big issue for her really: that the promotion company didn’t even think of coming to her or including her in anything, making Diana the important one again and Mary was so so so sensitive to that. Diana made it worse of course by not including her in anything, and I completely understand why and I don’t blame her necessarily, but I think she felt that Mary would be grateful to be doing the tour, making the money and that would be good enough. So the money was a big deal to mary but she never ever thought that she wouldn’t be on the tour until it went on without her. So she had a lot of regrets, that she had a hell of a good time around those regrets.

it’s very true that the measure of success and happiness has nothing to do with having bundles of money, but Mary was a little bitter about money. She knew that she had earned a lot more than she was given, and she was genuinely concerned for her finances After she was unable to work anymore.
    COVID made that worse. Mary had a taste for finer things, not extravagant, but definitely finer things and when she thought about that and measured what she could afford versus what she wanted occasionally it made her unhappy.
    I covered all of this- without the details- in my original comment. Mary, like the rest of us, had regrets and all the other crap that comes with living. However, combating this idea that is sometimes banded about that Mary was some bitter drama queen with pins she used to stick into a Diana Ross voodoo doll, was my point.

Of course Mary would have loved to have had the solo career Diana did. And she probably would've loved the money that came with it even more. The fact that both of them started out from the same place at the same time in the same group probably had her asking God, on occasion, why wasn't the big solo career the plan for her too. And she very obviously [[to me anyway) never completely healed her feelings for the way things went down with Diana going back a gazillion years. The lady had issues. The lady had regrets.

Diana has a storied solo career. Had she left the Supremes and disappeared into solo mediocrity, she would've been a legend based on the Supremes alone, just like Mary and Flo. That she parlayed her legendary run with the group into superstardom is the stuff of legends. The lady is wealthy. She raised what appears to be a loving family. But guess what: she has regrets too. She asks God why this and that too. She wishes things could've been different in one way or another too, despite how many times she sang songs and did stage patter about not having regrets and not changing things. Bullshit. She's human and we all have these issues. We thought she was on top of the world right before we found out she was drinking herself to death and afflicted with depression. No one's life is perfect.

Mary may have lacked some things, but she was obviously very rich in other ways, and I still maintain that those ways are really where it counted. With her death not even a year in the rearview mirror I prefer to focus on the richness of Mary's life than any supposed regrets she may have had about the "woulda" "shoulda" "coulda"'s.

Even if Diana Ross contributed a tribute to the Mary Wilson anthology, I doubt it would be all that revealing. But who knows, given the gratitude theme of Thank You album, maybe she will include Mary and Flo and Cindy in her list of Thank Yous in the CD booklet? Not getting my hopes up there, as she will most likely just thank her collaborators on the project and her children and grandchildren.

One thing that struck me in the immediate aftermath of Mary's death were all the tributes from people from many walks of life about how much she meant to them. That says something and shows in the end Mary lived a worthwhile and meaningful life. She didn't need to have lots of number one solo songs and sold out arena concerts to make a difference.

Diana might know of the release because [[a) fans and twitter, and [[b) I imagine she could stand to receive royalties for her participation in songs included on the release for which Diana sang on. But was she asked to include a tribute? My guess is no. I think Diana is still a formidable personality that cause people to think about what they say to her at any given time, and only the bravest of souls bother to ask her specifically about Mary Wilson. Sorry to say but I think the name of Mary Wilson, and even Florence Ballard, are still and will always be off limit topics except in the rarest of moments.

I'd also rather not imagine a Diana Ross that is asked to include some thoughts on Mary in what will probably be Mary's only expanded edition ever and she would decline to comment. That's not a Diana Ross that would be endearing to me, personally.
    It's sad to me really as a fan.

I love all three of them but they've all done things that disappointed me as a fan and Diana is not without fault. I've thought of writing my opinion on her and Mary's death but it's not worth it. I'll probably get crucified if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    One thing that struck me in the immediate aftermath of Mary's death were all the tributes from people from many walks of life about how much she meant to them. That says something and shows in the end Mary lived a worthwhile and meaningful life. She didn't need to have lots of number one solo songs and sold out arena concerts to make a difference.
    I think this is exactly what they wanted to show in the tributes that they are sharing. Mary reached quite a few people in the industry with her hard work for recording artists rights. They reached for tributes from people you would not expect - and got them.

I thought Diana left a very nice comment after Mary's passing: "I have so many wonderful memories of our time together". Short, sweet, to the point.

Had it been the other way around, Mary would have written a novel, lol.

That’s why I stated it occasionally made her unhappy because it did. I’m not focusing on that I was responding to a comment, and as I said Mary had a hell of a good life and a hell of a lot of fun. She more than just occasionally spoke of money, not complaining necessarily just kind of commenting are usually in some sort of happy way how nice it would be to have blah blah blah blah blah. And you’re right Mary was very rich in many many respects, but mostly, rich in friends. She had friends in the business and friends not in the business and friends who are fans and she treated everyone equally. She was always kind to everyone that I saw including hotel clerks waiters cab drivers etc. She had a great sense of fun And was kind of witty, and could get kind of bawdy after a few. Of course I’m not suggesting she had a voodoo doll, however, if she hat, I think there would be a few holes in it and I know everyone who knows her would agree. Mary and I were not best friends, but I am sad that I will have no more time with her. I kept checking news sources to see if perhaps they were wrong about her passing, but they just kept it quiet until it was decided who and what would be said. During that time in limbo, I was looking for anything positive I could think of connected with her passing and yes, she did not suffer, and was spared all kinds of growing old misery‘s, but most of all I knew that Her concern about future finances that’s not something she would have to deal with anymore. I wish I had saved a voicemail or two, They were often haphazard but always fun.