Name:  edgewater.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  97.7 KBName:  edgewater2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  99.6 KBName:  edgewater3.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  99.8 KB

Wonderful!! Your photos?

This is the same year that I saw Paliament-Funkadelic at Cobo Hall. And believe you me, I've never saw such a thing in all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    This is the same year that I saw Paliament-Funkadelic at Cobo Hall. And believe you me, I've never saw such a thing in all my life.
    Details please.

I wish. From Creem magazine October 1970. They actually got a cover story. Sort of.

OK, my friend and I were about 10 years old. We had gotten a paper route in Detroit. For doing a good job with the paper route, his mother said that she would take us to a concert. I was a nerd who was somewhat sheltered - I had to be in the house when the streetlights came on, had to be polite, etc. We chose the "big show of 1970" at Cobo Arena which had, to the best of my recollection, the following artists: Mad Dog and the Pups, The Detroit Emeralds, The Originals, David Ruffin and Paliament-Funkadelic. His mother dropped us off, and said she would get us later. All the acts were great and we were having a good time. Closing the show was Paliament-Funkadelic. They came out with wild clothes, wild hair, someone in a diaper, one had a wild floppy hat on with high heel boots, one was wearing an outfit that looked like a colorful KKK outfit, some had no shirts on, one was wearing a cape like thing! But they sang "I bet you", "Testify", "Look at what I almost missed", and were playing loud distorted guitar. Mind you, I was ten and had never been to a music concert. Then they brought out a six foot weed toke. My friend and I were utterly shocked at this. His mother, who was looking for us, came up to us and saw what was happening on the stage. She screamed at the ushers "You let my children see this, How dare you, What is wrong with you?!!!"; she grabbed us by the ears and dragged us out. We never saw the end of the show. Up to that point, I had never seen such a spectacle live and in-person.

I remember a funny story from around the same time. I was in a record store and I was talking to a young black girl who was shopping. We must’ve been both in high school at the time. I happened to ask her what she was buying, and she said to me [[a white kid), “oh, you wouldn’t have heard of them.“ I pressed her saying something like, “No, tell me. I am interested.“ And she responded that it was Funkadelic. I then asked her, “oh you mean Parliament-Funkadelic?“ Her eyes seemed to pop out of her head and for a moment I thought she was going to pass out, she was so sure I wouldn’t know who they were! I guess we all have our prejudices!!!
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-09-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    OK, my friend and I were about 10 years old. We had gotten a paper route in Detroit. For doing a good job with the paper route, his mother said that she would take us to a concert. I was a nerd who was somewhat sheltered - I had to be in the house when the streetlights came on, had to be polite, etc. We chose the "big show of 1970" at Cobo Arena which had, to the best of my recollection, the following artists: Mad Dog and the Pups, The Detroit Emeralds, The Originals, David Ruffin and Paliament-Funkadelic. His mother dropped us off, and said she would get us later. All the acts were great and we were having a good time. Closing the show was Paliament-Funkadelic. They came out with wild clothes, wild hair, someone in a diaper, one had a wild floppy hat on with high heel boots, one was wearing an outfit that looked like a colorful KKK outfit, some had no shirts on, one was wearing a cape like thing! But they sang "I bet you", "Testify", "Look at what I almost missed", and were playing loud distorted guitar. Mind you, I was ten and had never been to a music concert. Then they brought out a six foot weed toke. My friend and I were utterly shocked at this. His mother, who was looking for us, came up to us and saw what was happening on the stage. She screamed at the ushers "You let my children see this, How dare you, What is wrong with you?!!!"; she grabbed us by the ears and dragged us out. We never saw the end of the show. Up to that point, I had never seen such a spectacle live and in-person.
    Wow, what a story! While I heard some of Funkadelic's music on the radio back when they first came out, I wouldn't see them live until 1979 [they were doing the P-Funk Motorbooty Tour then]. I've read about the wild shows from Funkadelic's early days [and seen a few clips from them] and my parents wouldn't like me going to see them either.