[REMOVE ADS]

Differences in studio recordings and live performances...

Does anyone know if the group was giving free reign on how the singles were performed live? It seems like at least during the DMF period, they would often change little things around with the songs when they performed them live.

Standing At the Crossroads of Love-Mary and Flo completely revamp the backgrounds and add more harmonizing.
    Where Did Our Love Go-Diana adds in "now" at the end of some of the lines.
    Baby Love-Flo sings "I need you, I want you" live while on the single it's "need you, need you".
    Come See About Me-Mary and Flo harmonize the chorus instead of singing in unison and change the "mm-mmm"s on the last verse to "woo-oo"s. Diana adds in the "alright" before the instrumental break.
    Stop In the Name of Love-they changed the phrasing of the chorus when they performed it live and Flo and Mary did the "oooh"s on the verses which are muted on the single version.

What I noticed is when they sing their hits the girls usually add something extra in the background . Every lineup had put their stamp on the hits

A little thing I’ve noticed is that Diana often sings, “reflections of the HURT that used to be” instead of “reflections of the LOVE that used to be”

ejluther, you wrote: "Diana often sings, 'reflections of the HURT that used to be' instead of 'reflections of the LOVE that used to be'”

It's not often, it's every damn time with the exception of the Hollywood Palace appearance, and it is irritating. It makes no sense, in the context of the other lyrics.

If the relationship was so hurtful to her, she should be feeling happy that it's over, not obsessing over the pain and wanting more pain. She changes the meaning of the song.

It's strange that someone -- Mr. Gordy; H-D-H; Mr. Askey; Mary; Cindy; a fan; Mr. or Ms. Common Sense -- didn't pull her aside and say, "Hey, you're ruining the rendition of your best single when you are so careless with that line..." Or maybe someone did, and she was obstinate and refused to be corrected. I don't know, but I don't like it one bit.