[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Soulful Diana

Soulful Diana

What are Diana’s top five ​most soulful performances of her solo career. A difficult one with so many contenders. Mine would be.
    1. A Simple Thing Like Cry
    2. Brown Baby
    3. Surrender
    4. Dark Side Of The World
    5. We Stand Together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    What are Diana’s top five ​most soulful performances of her solo career. A difficult one with so many contenders. Mine would be.
    2. Brown Baby
    3. Surrender
    5. We Stand Together.
    Interesting question considering the varying definitions of what is considered soulful—I look forward to everyone’s input. There are many, many songs that I think are soulful performances or productions, but a few that immediately come to mind:

1. Telephone
    2. So They Say
    3. Is This What Feeling Gets
    4. I Ain’t Been Licked
    5. Cryin’ My Heart Out For You

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Interesting question considering the varying definitions of what is considered soulful—I look forward to everyone’s input. There are many, many songs that I think are soulful performances or productions, but a few that immediately come to mind:

1. Telephone
    2. So They Say
    4. I Ain’t Been Licked
    Interesting list Johnny. By soulful i was thinking r &b influenced as opposed to power ballads or pop numbers.

2. Brown Baby
    3. Surrender
    5. We Stand Together.
    Great thread Ollie! Your first three choices immediately spring to mind. But rather than echo your list, I'll just choose among Diana's other very soulful tunes.

Aint No Sad Song
    The Same Love That Made Me Laugh
    I Heard A Love Song
    No One Gets the Prize
    You Were the One

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

1. Telephone
    2. So They Say
    4. I Ain’t Been Licked
    She really dug into her soulful side for the Wiz soundtrack and the Sings Songs From the Wiz sessions. Same with the Surrender sessions.

Interesting list Johnny. By soulful i was thinking r &b influenced as opposed to power ballads or pop numbers.
    Your choices of "Simple" and "Brown" would've been easy choices for me. I am wild about her vocal on "A Simple Thing Like Cry". When she sings "If it didn't hurt so bad..." she has me hooked. At this point she's singing from experience and it shows. And "Brown Baby" is a perfect example of this lady's pure vocal talent being underappreciated. Interestingly, I can really hear the jazz in her voice, a result of her immersing herself in the genre for the previous couple years. "Brown Baby/Save the Children" is a brilliant cut.

Some of my faves have already been named. But off the top of my head:

1) The SURRENDER album. Too many choices from this one but I'll start with I CAN'T GIVE BACK THE LOVE I FEEL FOR YOU, A SIMPLE THING LIKE CRY, and I'M A WINNER. And that's just a start. :-)

2) THE WIZ soundtrack.

3) THE BOSS. Again, too much to choose from here. But I'll start with NO ONE GETS THE PRIZE and the title track.

4) THE SAME LOVE THAT MADE ME LAUGH. [[Thanks Ran Ran 79.)

5) GIVE UP.

5) MISSING YOU, one of the best vocals from the RCA years.

Honorable mention:

1) BELIEVE IN ME. This is a never-completed track from the Supremes' LOST AND FOUND collection. To my ears, Diana was going for a more soulful approach with this one. But she didn't quite have the vocal strength yet to do that, as she would in the late 70s.

b) DOOBEDOODBE, I won't even attempt to spell it. I like the vocals throughout. But right at the fade, Diana kicks it into high gear with her reading of the line "I just starting living the day you started giving your love to me-ee!" When I first heard it, it sort of reminded me of Al Green. I would love to hear what might have happened after the fade.

Avoiding all the major hits, Top 20 and above, some of mine are:

Keep an Eye
    Sparkle
    One More Chance
    I Thought it Took a Little Time[[alternate version)
    Be A Lion [[my favorite from The Wiz)
    Tenderness [[Chic Mix)

Other Special favs:
    Reach Out [[I’ll Be There)
    Forever Came Today
    Mirror Mirror
    I Thought That We Were Still in Love
    Not Over You Yet [[original version)
    If You’re Not Gonna Love Me Right
    Carry On [[prefer the album version remix not the slower one from Double Platinum)
    All her Stevie Wonder covers-still praying one day for a Stevie Wonder songbook album

Way too many more to add. Impossible list to make

"Once In The Morning"
    "Surrender"
    "The Force Behind The Power"
    "No Matter What You Do"
    "If Youre Not Gonna Love Me Right"

Dark Side Of The World
    Surrender
    Reach Out I'll Be There
    Brown Baby/Save The Children
    Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe
    You Were The One
    The Boss
    No One Gets The Prize
    One More Chance
    Missing You
    Summertime
    It's Hard For Me To Say
    Gone
    Not Over You Yet
    To Be Loved
    Always & Forever
    I Love You

I think we are straying into pop ballad territory with “One More Chance”.
    Most of us know which songs are more r&b influenced then others. I was really interested in breaking it down to Diana’s top five most soulful/r&b inspired performances.
    It’s a tough one i know, and one i had to think really hard about.

Most of us know which songs are more r&b influenced then others. I was really interested in breaking it down to Diana’s top five most soulful/r&b inspired performances.
    I could hardly call any Michael Masser song soul, although I understand why some people recognize Ross's belting in "One More Change" as soulful. One of the most soulful songs I think Ross ever sang is "My Baby [[My Baby My Own" on Touch Me In The Morning. Another hidden soul gem is "Baby It's Love" -- which I think is the only song Marvin Gaye wrote for her [[if it was written for her specifically).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I could hardly call any Michael Masser song soul, although I understand why some people recognize Ross's belting in "One More Change" as soulful. One of the most soulful songs I think Ross ever sang is "My Baby [[My Baby My Own" on Touch Me In The Morning. Another hidden soul gem is "Baby It's Love" -- which I think is the only song Marvin Gaye wrote for her [[if it was written for her specifically).
    I agree Jaap. Two songs that just missed out on my top five were “My Baby [[My Own)” and “Sparkle”. I think “Baby It’s Love” one of the better songs from EIE, but nowhere near my top five as far as r&b performances are concerned. I have never read that Marvin wrote the song specifically for Diana, but that’s not to say it wasn’t.
    What would make the cut in your top five??.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Your choices of "Simple" and "Brown" would've been easy choices for me. I am wild about her vocal on "A Simple Thing Like Cry". When she sings "If it didn't hurt so bad..." she has me hooked. At this point she's singing from experience and it shows. And "Brown Baby" is a perfect example of this lady's pure vocal talent being underappreciated. Interestingly, I can really hear the jazz in her voice, a result of her immersing herself in the genre for the previous couple years. "Brown Baby/Save the Children" is a brilliant cut.
    “A Simple Thing Like Cry” is da bomb and for me the most soulful performance of her career. She conveys so much emotion it makes you believe every word she is singing. Although not an obvious choice, i wonder how it might have faired as a single?.
    I’m surprised to see “I Heard A Love Song” at number three on your list. I always think of it as being more pop/soft rock as opposed to r&b.

I think the issue might be the use of the term "soulful". Me personally, I think a pop song or country song or other songs outside the genre of R&B can be soulful. I also think an r&b song can lack "soul". I find Diana's vocal of "It's My Turn" to be soulful, even though the track is very Masser. On the other hand, the Funks kick butt on "Baby Love" but I wouldn't describe Diana's vocal as soulful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Regarding Masser, I think "Touch Me In the Morning" is a good example of him going in a more soulful direction.

Regarding "Baby It's Love", excellent example. Wish I had thought to add it to my list.

“A Simple Thing Like Cry” is da bomb and for me the most soulful performance of her career. She conveys so much emotion it makes you believe every word she is singing. Although not an obvious choice, i wonder how it might have faired as a single?.
    I’m surprised to see “I Heard A Love Song” at number three on your list. I always think of it as being more pop/soft rock as opposed to r&b.
    I didn't choose any in any particular order. Just wrote down what popped in my head that I would categorize as "soulful". Pay no attention to the numbers. But yeah, one of the reasons I love "Heard" so much is because of Diana's soulful vocal. I always categorize the song itself as r&b/pop.

I think the issue might be the use of the term "soulful". Me personally, I think a pop song or country song or other songs outside the genre of R&B can be soulful. I also think an r&b song can lack "soul". I find Diana's vocal of "It's My Turn" to be soulful, even though the track is very Masser. On the other hand, the Funks kick butt on "Baby Love" but I wouldn't describe Diana's vocal as soulful.
    Perhaps r&b influenced would be the better term as any song she has ever recorded might possibly be considered a soulful performance. I was really referring to the genre of r&b, a category the Masser songs, lovely as they are don’t really fit imo.

I love "Heard" so much is because of Diana's soulful vocal. I always categorize the song itself as r&b/pop.
    It’s interesting how we perceive a song so differently. I would never class “I Heard A Love Song” As Being r&b. For me it leans far more towards a pop/rock sound, no matter how impassioned her vocals.
    I think with the LTISH album Motown were keen to highlight Diana’s vocal versatility. This being the reason it covers so many varying musical styles.

I agree, it's Diana's voice that soulful, not the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I agree, it's Diana's voice that soulful, not the material.
    To clear a point, are you saying for example songs such as “If We Hold On Together” or “So Close” would be classified musically the same as “Dark Side Of The World’ and Brown Baby” simply because her voice is deemed to always sound soulful?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-02-2021 at 10:43 AM.

I Thought That We Were Still In Love
    Your Love [[live from Paris version in particular)

And for an early years taster of a soulful Supreme voice:

Everything Is Good About you

Agree, Ran. For me, Diana Ross is a soulful singer/interpreter of songs but she is not a "soul singer" in my personal definition of "soul music". If the question is which are her best soul music performances, my list would indeed be shorter:

Dark Side Of The World
    Surrender
    Reach Out I'll Be There
    Brown Baby/Save The Children
    Ain't Nothin' But A Maybe
    You Were The One
    The Boss
    No One Gets The Prize
    Missing You
    It's Hard For Me To Say
    To Be Loved
    Always & Forever
    I Love You

Perhaps R&B influenced would be the better term to use as any song Diana has ever recorded might possibly be considered a soulful performance by her fans. That seems to include pop ballads.
    I was really referring to the musical genre of R&B, a category the Masser songs, lovely as they are don’t really fit imo.
    As i started the thread i thought I would re-post this.

Soulful is in the ear of the beholder, it seems.

For me:

It's My turn [[for the vocal, which is Diana at her most impassioned and connected to the lyrics, not the music)

Surrender

Sleepin'

Brown Baby/Save the Children

Perhaps r&b influenced would be the better term to use as any song Diana has ever recorded might possibly be considered a soulful performance, even if not strictly classified as such..
    I thought I would repost this.

To clear a point, are you saying for example songs such as “If We Hold On Together” or “So Close” would be classified musically the same as “Dark Side Of The World’ and Brown Baby” simply because her voice is deemed to always sound soulful?.
    Who said that? not me. The tone of a voice has nothing to do with a musical style. It's better if voice and music match but it's not automatic. I don't find "so close" soulful at all, but I think she ad a touch of soul in "if we hold on together", and all her best interpretation are that way. It could be "Brown Baby", Telephone" or "do you know", the style may be different, but the spirit is here.
    When she tries rock, she fails... except maybe "Swept away" that is in between all genres.
    And when she is just pop with no soul, she is not very interesting.
    BTW, I remember Luther Vandross said the same

Who said that? not me. The tone of a voice has nothing to do with a musical style. It's better if voice and music match but it's not automatic. I don't find "so close" soulful at all, but I think she ad a touch of soul in "if we hold on together", and all her best interpretation are that way. It could be "Brown Baby", Telephone" or "do you know", the style may be different, but the spirit is here.
    When she tries rock, she fails... except maybe "Swept away" that is in between all genres.
    And when she is just pop with no soul, she is not very interesting.
    BTW, I remember Luther Vandross said the same
    I'd like to read more of what Luther Vandross said. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I'd like to read more of what Luther Vandross said. Please.
    About the tone of her voice? I don't know if I can find that. He was comparing Dionne Warwick, Aretha and Diana.

About the tone of her voice? I don't know if I can find that. He was comparing Dionne Warwick, Aretha and Diana.

Thanks, Albator. I was just wondering if Luther ever commented on Diana's rock, soul or pop vocals. Your four examples really do exemplify her soulfulness in jazz, R&B, pop and rock, respectively. I've always loved that Luther admired and loved Diana's voice. Not that I needed any validation for my own love and admiration.

Diana had the ability to take her voice in whatever direction the song called for. I think she is truly one of the few singers whose voice can't be boxed into one category. She is certainly no stranger to impassioned, soulful singing. But to Ollie's more specific focus of an R&B sound, I would say some of the songs in this thread wouldn't be what I would call "soulful". But as SL says above, it is in the ear of the beholder.

So with that said, I'll add a few more that I think are great examples of Diana's R&B voice from her solo career. [[Her Supremes years are not without these performances either, but I'll stick to her solo career per the request of the original post.)

I love her vocal performance of "Aint No Sad Song", especially the alternate with the longer outro. She really gets into it.

"I'll Be Here When You Get Home"

Her performance of "One Love In My Lifetime" on the Midnight Special.

"Didn't You Know You'd Have to Cry Sometime"

"Don't Knock My Love"

I Love You [[Call Me)
    These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
    Brown Baby
    Sparkle
    Force Behind The Power

Brown Baby
    Love Is Like An Itching
    Baby It’s Me
    The Weight
    Muscles

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Thanks, Albator. I was just wondering if Luther ever commented on Diana's rock, soul or pop vocals. Your four examples really do exemplify her soulfulness in jazz, R&B, pop and rock, respectively. I've always loved that Luther admired and loved Diana's voice. Not that I needed any validation for my own love and admiration.
    He answered the fact that Diana has a limited voice, and his answer was "but it's not her voice, it's the tone of her voice". Since I'm French, I'm not really sure what he meant, but I think I got it .LOL

Define 'soulful'?

For me, it means not sounding too MOR.

Diana's least MOR recording to my ears is the duet with Ray Charles, Big Bad Love.

Then again, the rocking Fool For Your Love, from Silk Electric, is hardly MOR, but then I wouldn't call it soulful either.

He answered the fact that Diana has a limited voice, and his answer was "but it's not her voice, it's the tone of her voice". Since I'm French, I'm not really sure what he meant, but I think I got it .LOL
    LOL. You got it, Albator! Luther got it. I got it in 1965.

Didn’t We ……….

“I’m In The World”. Diana pours her heart into this soulful A&S ballad.