[REMOVE ADS]

Guy Draper and The Temptations - New record label

Name:  B9122E32-507A-454C-A35A-66FA2492A2BF.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  12.6 KB

Anyone know why this record label never came to fruition? Barry??
    Interesting that Otis would have been President.

Regrettably the print on the article was hard for these eyes to read.

Billboard Magazine [[August 16, 1969) contained this blurb :

Name:  2021-09-29 06_34_02-Free Screencapture.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  23.1 KB

He did work later with Dionne Warwick on forming Sonday Records [[1971-1972) which failed.

From a Cornelius Grant Instagram Site:

Name:  115954658_580233516193864_7830811479347251182_n.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  68.6 KB

• At a August 16, 1969 party in Washington, D.C., celebrating the previously announced formation of Tunesmith Records. Hosted by Guy Draper, guests also included Gladys Knight. Pictured: Draper, #OtisWilliams, #EddieKendricks, #MelvinFranklin, #DennisEdwards, #CorneliusGrant, and Howard Weissman [[Draper’s press and publications man, and press director of Tunesmith Records). Photographer unnamed, published in Cashbox on September 6, 1969. • “Otis Williams, President, and Guy Draper, Executive VP and General Manager of the newly-formed Tunesmith Records, announced that they have recorded Sugar & Spice for the label’s initial single release. #TheTemptations and Draper, all execs of the new record firm, stated that they are very pleased with the results, and will shortly announce Tunesmith’s major distribution plans now nearing completion. Cornelius Grant, VP of A&R, reported negotiations are in progress for a recording studio in Detroit, in addition to their New York, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. business offices. Draper was meeting with the Temptations in between their personal appearances and hoped to finalize many of their new arrangements while the Temps play the Wesbury Music Fair on Long Island this week.” - Record World, August 16, 1969 • “Sugar and Spice will premiere the Tunesmith label in January [1970].” - Record World, December 6, 1969 • [[The few mentions I’ve found in the music press of the day about the label trail off in December 1969, so if anyone happens to have some clippings/additional information extending beyond that date, please comment; it would be interesting to get some added insights. Thank you!)

1 year ago

• “Shown at the formation of their new record company, Tunesmith Records, are #TheTemptations and Guy Draper. From left: #OtisWilliams, President; #DennisEdwards, producer-writer; #EddieKendricks, producer-writer; Guy Draper, Executive VP, General Manager; #CorneliusGrant, VP, Director of A&R; #PaulWilliams, producer-writer, and #MelvinFranklin, Secretary-Treasurer.” - Record World, July 26, 1969 • “Producer-manager-writer Guy Draper and the Temptations this week announce the formation of a new record label, Tunesmith Records, which will utilize the group’s individual abilities and services, exclusive of their continuing artist relationship with Motown. […] Tunesmith Records will be a general label, stressing both single and LP product. […] [The label] will base its operations in New York, Detroit and Washington, D.C., with the main office in New York. Guydra Productions and Tall T Productions, Draper’s and the Temptations’ companies, will produce for the new label.” - Record World, July 26, 1969 • Photographer unnamed.

I find this line rather interesting:

Producer-manager-writer Guy Draper and the Temptations this week announce the formation of a new record label, Tunesmith Records, which will utilize the group’s individual abilities and services, exclusive of their continuing artist relationship with Motown. […]

Absolutely fascinating. I thought I knew a lot about the Tempts but this is a new one on me. In the UK I SUBSCRIBED to Blues & Soul magazine from 1968 on and the group got a LOT of coverage every month [[later fortnightly). I never saw any mention of this link-up with Draper. I knew of him through the Unifics’ Court of Love, and in later years heard of his connection with Mayfield Records. A bit of research on Discogs revealed Sugar & Spice did have a release in 1969, on Kapp. Discogs also confirms there were no releases on a Tunesmith label that could be the one referred to [[although there have been other labels of that name). And guess who one half of Sugar & Spice was? Leroy Hutson, who of course also had Mayfield connections

The Mayfield Singers included Guy Draper, Leroy Hutson, Donny Hathaway and Al Johnson. Quite some talent right there. Leroy arranged Sentimental Love by The Unifics featuring Al Johnson, written and produced by Guy Draper and issued on Kapp.