[REMOVE ADS]

Freda payne's new book

It is written with Mark Bezo with intro by Mary Wilson

https://t2conline.com/yorkshire-publ...hor-mark-bego/

Glad to see a firm date for this. Thanks for the update!

Wonderful News. Thanks to Milven for sharing!!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be picking this one up.

I had the opportunity to chat with her a few years back. Her recall of names, dates and song titles was amazing! I look forward to reading this. She is a dear and wonderful person.

She attended the concert given by Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene at Vitello’s in Studio City a few years back. My friend and I shared a table with two guys we didn’t know, one of whom was a huge fan of Freda’s and was dying to ask for her autograph but was too reticent to do so. My friend, an older lady who saw how badly he wanted it, went right over immediately and got the autograph for him. She mentioned that Payne was friendly and extremely gracious.

Thanks for the good news, Milven. I was all set to place my pre-order for Freda's book on Amazon until I saw the un-Godly price of $45.99. [[I nearly gave myself whiplash from the double-take!) Sadly, that's way out of my current-day budget. Gonna have to pass on this one.

Phillies/Motown Gary, you must have been looking at the hardcover version, as there's also a paperback version coming out at the same time, for half the price.

You're right, Carlo. I was looking at the hard-cover version. All I saw was the great big $45.99 glaring at me which caused me to panic and run the other way! The soft-cover version is a much more reasonable $19.99. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. For me, this is one of the most exciting books to come out in some time. I've since ordered my copy from Amazon. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She attended the concert given by Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene at Vitello’s in Studio City a few years back. My friend and I shared a table with two guys we didn’t know, one of whom was a huge fan of Freda’s and was dying to ask for her autograph but was too reticent to do so. My friend, an older lady who saw how badly he wanted it, went right over immediately and got the autograph for him. She mentioned that Payne was friendly and extremely gracious.
    Neat story, Kenny! I love feel-good stories like that.

Glad to help, Phillies/Motown Gary! Ya I would have to agree that the almost $50 price tag on the hardcover is a bit too steep. I am also looking forward to reading this! Enjoy!

Sounds like a great read

There is a nice review of the book here

https://www.digitaljournal.com/enter...memoir/article

But I do agree about the price. It is twice as much as other hard cover releases. Katie Couric is all over the place promoting her new book and hardcover is only $ 20.00

Does anyone know why Freda's book costs so much?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

But I do agree about the price. It is twice as much as other hard cover releases. Katie Couric is all over the place promoting her new book and hardcover is only $ 20.00

Do they actually release both hardcover and paperback simultaneously now? If its listed, I guess that must be the case. But it is confusing.

I remember when Denise Lasalle's book was coming out, it had a really high hardcover price. Then there was a much cheaper paperback. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind such a move. I would prefer a hardcover but at $45.99? No thanks, I'll be satisfied with the paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Do they actually release both hardcover and paperback simultaneously now? If its listed, I guess that must be the case. But it is confusing.

I remember when Denise Lasalle's book was coming out, it had a really high hardcover price. Then there was a much cheaper paperback. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind such a move. I would prefer a hardcover but at $45.99? No thanks, I'll be satisfied with the paperback.
    University presses have always published soft- and hardcover simultaneously. This outfit looks like a reprint acquisition/vanity publisher, but they seem to follow a similar business model.

There is a book release party for this in New York on Monday, November 1st. I am excited to get a copy of this. I was able to chat with Ms. Payne a few years back and her ability to remember names and places was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Milven, Amazon's price of $45.99 is indeed for the hard-cover version. I ordered my paperback version for $19.99.

I'll tell you something not in the book. "Band of Gold", her signature song, Had a rhythm track that was a second take. It was evening. Holland Dozier Holland were doing their first session at the newly opened Tera Shirma Studio B after leaving Motown. The track, "Band of Gold" was smoking hot during the first take.The control room was alive with positive energy. And it all came crashing down when the song ended with an extremely audible 120 DB hum all through the track, making it useless. Milan Bogdan, the engineer found the problem and corrected it. The second take was recorded and, as hot as that one was, it wasn't as good as the lost take. Didn't seem to hurt record sales though.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'll tell you something not in the book. "Band of Gold", her signature song, Had a rhythm track that was a second take. It was evening. Holland Dozier Holland were doing their first session at the newly opened Tera Shirma Studio B after leaving Motown. The track, "Band of Gold" was smoking hot during the first take.The control room was alive with positive energy. And it all came crashing down when the song ended with an extremely audible 120 DB hum all through the track, making it useless. Milan Bogdan, the engineer found the problem and corrected it. The second take was recorded and, as hot as that one was, it wasn't as good as the lost take. Didn't seem to hurt record sales though.
    Thank you, Ralph!

that was their first session at their new studio? Magic! Home run, bases loaded right out the bat!

[Beautiful book cover btw]

Thanks, Ralph. I love hearing neat behind-the-scenes stories like that! I wonder if, with today's technology, that pesky electronic hum could be removed without destroying the original Take 1? It would be interesting to hear.

Gary, the tone was on every track through the entire take. If only one track was affected perhaps an over-dub would have worked, but this particular take was toast.

Gary, the tone was on every track through the entire take. If only one track was affected perhaps an over-dub would have worked, but this particular take was toast.
    Ralph, I never get enough of your stories - best to you always and thanks again for your part in making the music we love.

Thank you, Peace. Wish I could remember more.

Unfortunately these are not great interviewers so there are no thought provoking questions, but here is a recent Youtube interview with Ms. Freda Payne. https://youtu.be/6Fey0_U11Jo
    http://youtu.be/6Fey0_U11Jo

Just the facts of a recording session, NNY.

Just the facts of a recording session, NNY.
    Ralph, thought I should kindly point out that NNY was referring to the video interview in their post [[see the YouTube link) and not the previous posts regarding the recording session.

By the way, I also found your post concerning the botched first take of the session interesting.

The book comes out tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it!

Thank you, Carlo. Guess I misread the post.
    Last edited by ralpht; 11-02-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Was invited to the Freda Payne book release party last night in NYC. Had a fantastic time, and got to meet Freda. She spent the night signing copies of the book. The paperback is beautiful - well worth the $20. Hope the inside is just as delicious! [[Please notice my Bands of Gold tie!)
    Name:  Freda-me.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  28.6 KB

Great shot, Thom.

Fantastic experience ��great picture and tie !!

Great shot, Thom.
    Thanks, Ralph. She spent time with everyone as she signed the book. She is just delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Was invited to the Freda Payne book release party last night in NYC. Had a fantastic time, and got to meet Freda. She spent the night signing copies of the book. The paperback is beautiful - well worth the $20. Hope the inside is just as delicious! [[Please notice my Bands of Gold tie!)
    Nice to see and glad the evening went well for all concerned. Did Freda notice your tie? Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Nice to see and glad the evening went well for all concerned. Did Freda notice your tie? Great idea!
    Yes, she did! She chuckled when she saw it and then gave me a pat on the tie.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Great photo. I see Andy Skurow in the photo too.

Great photo, THommg. I met Freda many years ago and she was just as sweet & gracious as could be. Wonderful person.Can't wait to get & read the book.

I'm about 1/2 through the book and it is a good read. She talks about Scherrie often and how different they are in personalities yet remain close. She was also candid and critical of Pedro Ferrer. Freda stayed devoted to Mary until the day Mary died.

Very interest story Ralph! Thanks for sharing it with us [and you're right, 'it didn't seem to hurt record sales' for "Band Of Gold" which remains a classic].

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I'm about 1/2 through the book and it is a good read. She talks about Scherrie often and how different they are in personalities yet remain close. She was also candid and critical of Pedro Ferrer. Freda stayed devoted to Mary until the day Mary died.
    Thanks for the review! My book is still on the way, so I have not been able to read it yet, but I was curious if it's a good read, as I had not yet seen any reviews. Glad to hear this.

Really great photo, Thom! It's a special moment you'll treasure forever! Still waiting for my 2nd Freda book to arrive. Yesterday, my local USPS informed me that the packaging of my first copy had arrived at the post office opened and the book was stolen. Amazon has already sent my 2nd copy at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Really great photo, Thom! It's a special moment you'll treasure forever! Still waiting for my 2nd Freda book to arrive. Yesterday, my local USPS informed me that the packaging of my first copy had arrived at the post office opened and the book was stolen. Amazon has already sent my 2nd copy at no charge.
    Wow nothing quite like reading a good book you’ve stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Wow nothing quite like reading a good book you’ve stolen
    Yeah, Boogie! Nothing like a freaking thief to brighten your day. Here's hoping they choke on it!

I saw her concert with al green in the early seventies. Would you please watch for any mention of that tour in the book, Gary? Curious as to how the two got along.

when you get it .
    thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I saw her concert with al green in the early seventies. Would you please watch for any mention of that tour in the book, Gary? Curious as to how the two got along.

when you get it .
    thanks !!
    Sure, I'll do that for you, Boog. Yeah -- IF and when it arrives safely!

I love behind the scenes stories like this. In your experience Ralph, did producers [[like Holland and Dozier) ever stop recording after just one take if they thought it was really good - or would they record again anyway just to see what would happen [[and if they could get a better take)?