[REMOVE ADS]

I remember my dad had the album I'M ON THE OUTSIDE [LOOKING IN] and this was the only song on it that I would play. Listening to it now, it sounds like Anthony didn't quite know the words, as some lines are different. It sounds like it faded out early as he was sort of lost by that point.

Yes, reese, the early fade out sort of kills the production. I wonder why that wasn’t corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Yes, reese, the early fade out sort of kills the production. I wonder why that wasn’t corrected.
    It was probably the end of a four-song session and they figured why bother doing it over for a filler album track.

Coincidental as just yesterday I was listening to LA&tI and wondering why they don't get more action here. An OK cover version with an excellent vocal, sez I.

Probably a quick attempt to ride the Supremes cash cow. Some of LA's "translations" are laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Probably a quick attempt to ride the Supremes cash cow.
    I noticed on the album cover WDOLG is the first song listed, even before their own hit! Checking discogs I see that WDOLG is the second song on Side 1.

Looks like the album was featuring a lot of recent hits: "Walk On By" and "People".

I'm surprised I never saw this album, but I wasn't an obsessed record shopper until 1965. Although at the time, I did see a Teresa Brewer album Golden Hits of 1964 with WDOLG.

Checking the "Who Sampled" website I see there were a lot of covers of WDOLG in the 60s. Other than the Teresa Brewer album, I don't recall seeing any vocal covers before Donnie Elbert and J Geils Band, and of course Soft Cell.

https://www.whosampled.com/The-Supre.../covered/?ob=0

Another thing I noticed while looking at the video is that the album shown is on the DCP label. But I could swear that my dad's copy was on Veep.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Another thing I noticed while looking at the video is that the album shown is on the DCP label. But I could swear that my dad's copy was on Veep.
    Reese,

Your memory is likely correct. My copy of the album is on the Veep label.

DCP label:
    https://www.discogs.com/Little-Antho.../master/495010

Veep label:
    https://www.discogs.com/Little-Antho...lease/14552170

I always remember the group as being on the Veep label. However, my Billboard chart books show the albums and singlesas charting with the DCP label.

From wiki:
    With the help of record producer/songwriter Teddy Randazzo [[a childhood friend of the group), the Imperials found success on the new DCP [[Don Costa Productions) label ...The Imperials then joined United Artists Records and were assigned to its Veep Records subsidiary, and then to the parent label itself...

Wiki not clear on dates.