[REMOVE ADS]

Al Green: 'Give Me More Love - the Orchestral Greatest Hits'

Now listed on Dusty Groove:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/994152

I bought this as a RSD 2021 release on vinyl: quite well done and the strings added are not too intrusive.

I don't know when I was

last so intrigued by a new project !

Really wanted to like this ... but some hurried scattering of noticeably inserted strings does not an 'orchestration' make.

https://www.fames-project.com/services/#shared
    Remote & Shared Sessions
    Remote & Shared Sessions

• FAME’S has been recording remotely since its beginning, in 2008. Working at a distance with the orchestra via internet is possible and very comfortable. We provide a complete and reliable online recording solution, a remote session service for professionals who want to record quality live music with orchestral musicians, for both small and large projects. The pristine sound quality is the same in your studio as in the control room of our studio, with an installed HD camera that allows you to see the orchestra at work, and a direct talk-back connection with the conductor that allows you to dictate your interpretive indications in real time.
    • Shared sessions have been launched by Fames in 2009 and we are proud and happy that these incredible services has become a common offer in most of studio and orchestra around the world. We are happy to announce that, thanks to the high number of sessions we are doing monthly, you don’t have to wait for a shared session announcement from us via mail but can directly ask for a 1 hour session anytime and we will provide you a slot proposal according to your needs.
    • Shared session duration. We are still thinking that the minimum optimum time for a session is 1 hour. Nevertheless, we understand that a project might be even smaller and if we can include your project in a smaller time frame [[30 minutes) we will be happy to propose you an available slot as well.
    • Visit us. Finally, staying with the team in the control room is still the best and most comfortable way to record a project. So, contact us and we will help you organize your stay in Skopje. We can advise you on best hotels to choose, organize your driver at airport —> hotel —> studio, make you discover the best restaurants in town… and of course, set up meetings with the team and conductor to prepare your recording project.

maybe an oboe , or a french horn , a harp , timpani ...oh, I don't know, a triangle?? strategically arranged here or there ... ... way too much bother these days I suppose....:[[:[[:[[

We all have different opinions! and I feel it sounds fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Really wanted to like this ... but some hurried scattering of noticeably inserted strings does not an 'orchestration' make.

maybe an oboe , or a french horn , a harp , timpani ...oh, I don't know, a triangle?? strategically arranged here or there ... ... way too much bother these days I suppose....:[[:[[:[[
    Not really for some folks like Metropole or outfits like Snarky Puppy who've been doing
    things like that for many years now. But usually not over a pre-recorded disk. Maybe if
    the right reverend had given them a call...Al with Queen Latifah would have been nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74I8I-0WAG4

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Not really for some folks like Metropole or outfits like Snarky Puppy who've been doing
    things like that for many years now. But usually not over a pre-recorded disk. Maybe if
    the right reverend had given them a call...Al with Queen Latifah would have been nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74I8I-0WAG4
    Oh, my, splanky…this is divine. It deserves its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    We all have different opinions! and I feel it sounds fresh!
    I envy your enthusiasm. Enjoy!

Once upon a time GenXers, Al Green was ridiculous during his peak from 1971-1973, go and ask your parents about him.

I'll check this out later...

WOW! I just discovered this new CD of remixed Al Green tracks. I've always been a sucker for strings.
    I've gotta say, these new string passages are gorgeous! And, thankfully, they seem to have left Rhodes, Chalmers & Rhodes' beautiful back-up vocals intact. I ordered my CD copy from Dusty Groove just now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, PeaceNHarmony!

PS: I just compared the new remixes with the original mixes. As much as I hate to admit it, the original HI Records mixes sound dull in comparison. Can't wait to get these new mixes in my hands!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-16-2021 at 02:46 AM.

My new Al Green "Greatest Hits" remixed-strings CD arrived today. I poured me a Scotch-On-The-Rocks tonight and got down to business by putting on my Sony Studio Monitor Headphones connected to my Sony Walkman D-NF-430 CD Player. Sounds like a home stereo system pounding in my head and my chest -- just how I like it! I'm blown away by not only the sound quality of these remixes, but also by the orchestral arrangements. Produced, arranged, and orchestrated by Darren Tate, Al Green's Hi Records recordings -- originally produced by Willie Mitchell -- have never sounded better! Nothing has been changed nor tampered with here. All they did was take the original Hi recordings, remaster them [[beautifully and impressively, I must say), and add an entirely new string section. And, boy, they mean serious business here! This is a CD that you just can't get enough of. As we speak, I'm on my 3rd playing of the CD in a row. I can honestly say that, if they were to give the same treatment to the entire Al Green Hi LP catalog, I would gladly buy them all. THAT'S how fresh and musically thrilling these like-new tracks are to me. It's not easy to pick a favorite because they're all so soulfully satisfying -- every one of them -- but I'm gonna say "Let's Get Married" and "You Oughta Be With Me" are especially fun. A good comparison of this new Al Green CD would be the fantastic-sounding "Supremes A Go-Go" Expanded CD that the Motown crew gave us a few years back. Remember how they made those remastered Motown tracks jump right out at you? That's exactly what these new Al Green tracks are doing for me. Because of that, I can highly recommend the new Al Green "Give Me More Love" CD. [[Don't be scared away by the CD's subtitle [["The Orchestral Greatest Hits"). Orchestral implies instrumental, which couldn't be more inaccurate. Al Green is front and center at all times -- right where he belongs.

PS: Boogiedown, you'll be glad to know that Rhodes, Chalmers & Rhodes have never sounded better! They remain fully anchored within the steam of these hot, new string passages!