[REMOVE ADS]

Tina: The tina turner musical

TINA: THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL opened on Broadway in 2019 and the show was nominated for Best Musical. But because the pandemic closed Broadway for a year and a half, the awards were never announced nor presented.

That changes this Sunday when THE TONY AWARDS for the 2019-20 Season will be streamed on Paramount Plus at 7 pm; and then the main awards and performances from nominated musicals will be telecast on CBS at 9 pm.

I have my ticket for October 30!

I saw it in Oct 2019 when it was in previews, but would love to see it again while Adrienne Warren is still in it.

Don't forget to watch the TONY AWARDS Sunday. There will be a performance from TINA.

Enjoy the show

So. Last evening I attended 'Tina - The Tina Turner Musical' at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and as a fan of Tina's since seeing the I&TTR on an Andy Williams show in 1968 I am over the moon at being able to report that the show is spectacular! Every cast member was superb, especially the mighty, mighty Adrienne Warren as Tina. [[Side note: Warren was born in 1987, 3 years after Tina's comeback).

The musical uses Tina-catalogue hits in a non-chronological fashion, inserting the songs where the lyrics are appropriate to plot advancement. I thought this was done expertly and found myself re-experiencing and rediscovering the songs [['Don't Turn Around', performed as a duet between Tina and her grandmother as Tina prepares to leave Nutbush for St. Louis, was a particular spine-tingler, as was 'Nutbush City Limits' reinvented as a field holler then church tune.

Warren's performance of 'River Deep, Mountain High' created a true show-stopping event in the first act - the audience stood and whopped for so long that she felt the need to break character for a second, look at the audience and pat her hands downward as if to say 'thanks - get it - gotta move on'!

I could, but won't. babble any further. Warren leaves the show today and her long-time understudy takes the part of Tina. I'm sure she will be great as well, and encourage any and all to attend a performance of this extraordinary event.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    So. Last evening I attended 'Tina - The Tina Turner Musical' at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and as a fan of Tina's since seeing the I&TTR on an Andy Williams show in 1968 I am over the moon at being able to report that the show is spectacular! Every cast member was superb, especially the mighty, mighty Adrienne Warren as Tina. [[Side note: Warren was born in 1987, 3 years after Tina's comeback).

The musical uses Tina-catalogue hits in a non-chronological fashion, inserting the songs where the lyrics are appropriate to plot advancement. I thought this was done expertly and found myself re-experiencing and rediscovering the songs [['Don't Turn Around', performed as a duet between Tina and her grandmother as Tina prepares to leave Nutbush for St. Louis, was a particular spine-tingler, as was 'Nutbush City Limits' reinvented as a field holler then church tune.

Warren's performance of 'River Deep, Mountain High' created a true show-stopping event in the first act - the audience stood and whopped for so long that she felt the need to break character for a second, look at the audience and pat her hands downward as if to say 'thanks - get it - gotta move on'!

I could, but won't. babble any further. Warren leaves the show today and her long-time understudy takes the part of Tina. I'm sure she will be great as well, and encourage any and all to attend a performance of this extraordinary event.
    Nice to hear that the show is still thrilling. I saw it back in 2019 an enjoyed it very much. I am disappointed to hear that Adrienne is leaving the show as I am going to see the show again next month. But hopefully, her replacement will be enjoyable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Nice to hear that the show is still thrilling. I saw it back in 2019 an enjoyed it very much. I am disappointed to hear that Adrienne is leaving the show as I am going to see the show again next month. But hopefully, her replacement will be enjoyable as well.
    PeaceNHarmony, thanks for the terrific review. I did not realize that Adrienne was leaving so soon. I have hopes of seeing it again with out of towners in the Spring.

Reese, I saw the show twice in October of 2019, one matinee performance and one night performance. The understudy was doing the matinees back then and she was not disappointing. I enjoyed both ladies as Tina.

The show is amazing. It is not the run of the mill juke box musical. They skillfully use many of the songs to move the story along.

As an old man, I am not too crazy about new music, so for me, it is a treat to see a Broadway musical with familiar music and an even bigger treat to see the music used to move the story along.