[REMOVE ADS]

A Velvelettes question - the French recordings

...possibly something Xtown or Paul Nixon may know, hopefully - has anyone any idea when their French tracks were recorded? The CD blurb and DFTMC don't have recording dates. I'm guessing their versions of 'as long as i know he's mine' and 'you lost the sweetest boy' were roughly contemporaneous with the originals [[late 63 or sometime in 64 at the latest?) Any ideas?

The 'Motown Around the World' double cd set included a Visa/Passport that again mentions that there is no record of the French sessions in the Studio A logs. However it states that the tape box has August 28, 1965 written on it.
    The intro to this section assumes that they were recorded after the German language sessions [[January 28-February 3, 1965).
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 09-23-2021 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    ...possibly something Xtown or Paul Nixon may know, hopefully - has anyone any idea when their French tracks were recorded? The CD blurb and DFTMC don't have recording dates. I'm guessing their versions of 'as long as i know he's mine' and 'you lost the sweetest boy' were roughly contemporaneous with the originals [[late 63 or sometime in 64 at the latest?) Any ideas?
    I've searched for ages for that information and I can't find it. This is what I know.
    Motown produced an internal newsletter and the one dated January 1964 states that the Velvelettes had recorded songs in French. Stevie recorded Castle In the Sand in French on the same day and Norma told me how she had to comfort Stevie because he was extremely anxious about it. Sadly, I cant even cross reference to Stevie's session date! The picture of the ladies at the session that Adam White posted in his article is from those French sessions. The paper that Cal is reading are the lyrics in French. As you can see from the photo, the session includes Betty [[pre-Vandellas days) but not Milly who was pregnant at the time. https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/motown-in-gaul

thanks for the input guys. Seems like the best guess is winter 63/64 then.