[REMOVE ADS]

Gift Suggestions Needed............Most Recent Books About Music?

I need to shop for a birthday gift. Recipient is an avid reader and music lover. What are some of the more recent books that are out there, either about labels or artist's bios? Thanks for any suggestions.

Well we do have Love Factory, Howard Priestley's recent biography on songwriters/producers Holland-Dozier-Holland. Recommended if the person you're buying for is into Motown and/or H-D-H 70's labels Invictus-Hot Wax.

The Soul Trilogy [[Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69)

An interesting recent book that I added to my collection was "The DJ That Launched 1,000 Hits - the Story of Robin Seymour." It is 140 pages long and covers Robin's career.
    The ISBN number is 9781792059100. A good book to read.

Thanks guys. Time has slipped up on me so my choices may depend on which ones are in stock at my local Books a Million. Don't have time for a delivery.

Utopia Avenue.

'A stand-out triumph' - The Sunday Times The Number One bestselling novel by the author of CLOUD ATLAS, 'one of the most brilliantly inventive writers of this, or any country' [[Independent). Utopia Avenue might be the most curious British band you've never heard of. Emerging from London's psychedelic scene in 1967, folksinger Elf Holloway, blues bassist Dean Moss, guitar virtuoso Jasper de Zoet and jazz drummer Griff Griffin together created a unique sound, with lyrics that captured their turbulent times. The band produced only two albums in two years, yet their musical legacy lives on. This is the story of Utopia Avenue's brief, blazing journey from Soho clubs and draughty ballrooms to the promised land of America, just when the Summer of Love was receding into something much darker - a multi-faceted tale of dreams, drugs, love, sexuality, madness and grief; of stardom's wobbly ladder and fame's Faustian pact; and of the collision between youthful idealism and jaded reality as the Sixties drew to a close. Above all, this bewitching novel celebrates the power of music to connect across divides, define an era and thrill the soul. 'The great rock and roll novel - an epic love letter to the greatest music ever made and the book the music has always deserved' Tony Parsons.

'A stand-out triumph' - The Sunday Times The Number One bestselling novel by the author of CLOUD ATLAS, 'one of the most brilliantly inventive writers of this, or any country' [[Independent). Utopia Avenue might be the most curious British band you've never heard of. Emerging from London's psychedelic scene in 1967, folksinger Elf Holloway, blues bassist Dean Moss, guitar virtuoso Jasper de Zoet and jazz drummer Griff Griffin together created a unique sound, with lyrics that captured their turbulent times. The band produced only two albums in two years, yet their musical legacy lives on. This is the story of Utopia Avenue's brief, blazing journey from Soho clubs and draughty ballrooms to the promised land of America, just when the Summer of Love was receding into something much darker - a multi-faceted tale of dreams, drugs, love, sexuality, madness and grief; of stardom's wobbly ladder and fame's Faustian pact; and of the collision between youthful idealism and jaded reality as the Sixties drew to a close. Above all, this bewitching novel celebrates the power of music to connect across divides, define an era and thrill the soul. 'The great rock and roll novel - an epic love letter to the greatest music ever made and the book the music has always deserved' Tony Parsons