[REMOVE ADS]

What in the h*** is Wendy Moten doing on The Voice?????

I just watched last night's premier episode and they closed the show with her. Excuse me, but I thought this show was all about discovering new talent and helping them get their careers started. But Wendy is a veteran who has already HAD a career and she could probably teach all four of those judges more about singing than they could ever teach her.

If she goes on to win this season, or even if she just takes a finals spot away from someone else, then that show has lost its credibility. There were kids on there as young as 15 [[not that I really believed THAT ONE was 15, but that is beside the point) and they deserve their breaks, not to be upstaged by someone who has already had all of hers.

I was stunned....anyone agree?

Very interesting and strange, but I guess she wants to use this platform as a way to boost her career. Interestingly enough, the same thing has happened before on the Voice UK, several years ago. Jay Aston, a member of the popular UK pop group from the 80's, Bucks Fizz, had also auditioned on The Voice, and made headlines. Sadly, she was not chosen to move past the audition stage. I also remember the Whitney Houston tribute artist, Belinda David, was on that reboot of Showtime at the Apollo, and she had also done many tours of fairly sizeable venues in the UK and EU, but I guess was trying to boost her profile in America. I suppose these shows don't have any rules as to who is eligible to audition, but it is sad to see when a well established veteran artist has to go that route, as a strategic career move.

There have been some others who have already enjoyed some success that have competed on The Voice. The one that immediately comes to mind is Billy Gilman. Wendy's initial success dates back to 1992, I believe. Her wonderful single, "Come In Out of the Rain" did not crack the Top 50. After her label dropped her, she went on to sing back-up for more established artists. I personally applaud Wendy for taking this route to fine-tune her craft and re-establish herself as a solo artist. Loyal viewers of The Voice know that the winners don't necessarily become overnight sensations, and many never release CDs for their devotees to enjoy. Let's hope Wendy enjoys her time bringing her gifts to the show and to her fans.

Hi!

Wendy's bio: https://www.soulexpress.net/wendymoten_part1.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

I see that some folks disagree with me and applaud Wendy, which is fine. So I have an idea and now that Heikki has also chimed in, I will post it so that he [[being in the biz) can pitch it to the proper parties.

Since my opinion is that The Voice should only be for discovering new talent waiting for their "big break," why not have a totally different show devoted to bringing back folks, such as Wendy, who might have deserved more success than they achieved the first time around?

It could be called The Big Comeback or maybe Second Chances. Goodness knows we all have artists in our collections who released only an album or two, but they appeared to be as good or better than some that went on to sell millions of albums, and such artists would be well-deserving of a "second chance."

So there you have it Heikki, run with it! And when you sell the idea for big bucks, remember little old me who gave it to you!

I watch the Voice of Holland, U.K. and AU and they all have participants who were once better known or one hit wonders. It’s nice to see and hear those artists instead of a whole show with mostly teenage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I see that some folks disagree with me and applaud Wendy, which is fine. So I have an idea and now that Heikki has also chimed in, I will post it so that he [[being in the biz) can pitch it to the proper parties.

Since my opinion is that The Voice should only be for discovering new talent waiting for their "big break," why not have a totally different show devoted to bringing back folks, such as Wendy, who might have deserved more success than they achieved the first time around?

It could be called The Big Comeback or maybe Second Chances. Goodness knows we all have artists in our collections who released only an album or two, but they appeared to be as good or better than some that went on to sell millions of albums, and such artists would be well-deserving of a "second chance."

So there you have it Heikki, run with it! And when you sell the idea for big bucks, remember little old me who gave it to you!
    Thank you, David, for the idea. Actually it's a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any channels to push this idea. But I'll accept the money in any case and am willing to share with you -

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

Not quite the same as what you're proposing. But some time back, there was a show called HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME. Each week, different artists would sing their biggest hit as well as a cover of a current one. It brought new attention to the artist and if they won, they also received a donation to the charity of their choice.

I remember Thelma Houston doing a great rendition of Alicia Keys' FALLIN' on this show.