[REMOVE ADS]

Alternative Supremes Album Cover Backs

This other thread got me thinking; aren't there several cases of Supreme albums having different backs, varying by market perhaps?

One example [[I'd have to dig for sure) I think is "I Hear a Symphony". I think there are two different backs, one that includes a cartoon sketch of the Supremes onstage, in a spotlight.

Any other examples?

that's the Copa album - there was one back cover with a drawing of the girls in a spotlight.

Another album was R&H where they used 2 different photos on the back

other than that, i think that's all of the US examples

one we COULD call out was Meet The Supremes, as a mistake. for the original release, they used the bar stool cover. and then everything was right for the back cover.

but then they re-released the album in 65 with new cover art. unfortunately:

1) the new cover photo was F, D, M whereas the bar stools were M, D, F. They didn't change the wording on the back which names the girls. so M and F are wrongly identified on that album

2) The Boy That Got Away was planned to be on the original barstool release but they decided to quickly replace it with Let Me Go The Right Way. they made that edit for the back graphic. but when they re-released the album in 65 someone grabbed the earlier back graphic. so the album had the wrong song listed too

A fan posted that he had a copy of SING COUNTRY WESTERN & POP that had a photo of the girls in the studio on the back. I've never seen that one.

Great thread! I’m interested in what comes up…

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    A fan posted that he had a copy of SING COUNTRY WESTERN & POP that had a photo of the girls in the studio on the back. I've never seen that one.

I suppose it's the original Japan release [[SJET-7692). [[note that the Japanese rerelease has a different back cover).

The live photo was taken at the EMI UK headquarters on October 8, 1964.

Name:  Japan SJET-7692-bc.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  85.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I suppose it's the original Japan release [[SJET-7692). [[note that the Japanese rerelease has a different back cover).

If I remember correctly, the fan I was referring to was in the US. He said his copy of CWP had a photo of DMF in the recording studio on the back. He didn't mention it being a foreign pressing.

Interesting to see the song line-up for this Japanese version. If you look closely, you can see the sides are reversed as compared to the US version. Also, if the notes are correct, the album ends with DO YOU LOVE ME, from the Liverpool album.

Thanks for posting this - this Japanese release, SJET-7692, isn’t even on Discogs - only the Japanese reissue, SWX-6019, is… https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes.../master/292176 so cool to see it! Thanks again…