[REMOVE ADS]

Remembering Wilson Pickett; daughter, Veda, helping to keep his memories alive

A nice article - not new, but a good read - we almost never remember Pickett here -

http://www.musiclifemagazine.net/rem...emories-alive/

I will always remember Wilson Pickett! He was one of my favourites next to Marvin Gaye lol, but is probably an age specific thing, many folks who are using this site were probably conceived to his music

Next to James Brown, Wilson Pickett will ALWAYS be one of the GREATEST Rock, Soul, R & B male artists.IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A nice article - not new, but a good read - we almost never remember Pickett here -

http://www.musiclifemagazine.net/rem...emories-alive/
    Thanks for sharing the nice article about Wilson Pickett. I'll always remember him best for his fine run of hits between 1965 and 1972.

He was a great talent. He had some great albums and some really iconic songs. I think at the time when James Brown went by the moniker Soul Brother No. 1, that Pickett was often referred to as Soul Brother No. 2.

What I found surprising, and I have it in my collection though I don’t think I’ve ever played it, is that he actually recorded an album for Motown. He also has a rare double LP, recorded live in Japan. I’ve got to get those out of my collection and listen to them.

His version of “Hey Jude” is one of the best covers of that song that I think has ever been recorded. Everyone sang it, but I think only a few sang it well. And just think, who ever thought anyone could turn “Sugar, Sugar” into a soul anthem! That couldn’t have been easy!
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-18-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Rick Hall [[Fame Studios) and the late Swamper drummer Rodger Hawkins related how when Wilson first came to the studio, all the musicians were intense, focusing on getting a hit, and when they cut land of 1,000 Dances, Hawkins credits Wilson for creating the unique beat by playing it out on his leg with his hands and Hawkins took it from there...

It's great to see such props toward the wicked, Wicked Wilson Pickett!! He did indeed have an extraordinary run to top-40 hits and a succession of great lps as well. And as Kenneth stated, Wilson's way with making the most [[most) non-r&b / soul music int SOUL music was unparalleled.

Haaaaaaaaaaaa..you all do know that pickett and jb couldn't stand one another,so wherever they are i bet they have seperate dressing rooms,both are great soul legends who will never be forgotten by anyone who's ever heard them!!

arr-bee, James Brown had a short-lived TV show in the 80's and Wilson Pickett was one of his guests and they did "Cold Sweat" together, Pickett was GREAT with JB's band!I was surprised that JB didn't have a fit about it so I think they was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    arr-bee, James Brown had a short-lived TV show in the 80's and Wilson Pickett was one of his guests and they did "Cold Sweat" together, Pickett was GREAT with JB's band!I was surprised that JB didn't have a fit about it so I think they was cool.
    James at one point or another had beef with a lot of people just as he claimed to be
    friends of a dozen others he really barely knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAH40Vh6H4

James real serious beef came as we've talked about before on SDF, from Joe Tex. Or actually visa versa. It's legendary...

well, I liked Joe Tex BUT I remember when "Skinny Legs......"hit big and Joe Tex tour came to Orlando, his bus on the side of it declared "The New Soul Brother Number One" which I think was quite stupid of him because NOBODY could compare to James Brown LIVE. I think Wilson Pickett was the better singer of all the Soul Brothers. James Brown & Joe Tex friction was about a woman named Bea Ford who left Joe Tex for James.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    well, I liked Joe Tex BUT I remember when "Skinny Legs......"hit big and Joe Tex tour came to Orlando, his bus on the side of it declared "The New Soul Brother Number One" which I think was quite stupid of him because NOBODY could compare to James Brown LIVE. I think Wilson Pickett was the better singer of all the Soul Brothers. James Brown & Joe Tex friction was about a woman named Bea Ford who left Joe Tex for James.
    I think Bea Ford duets with James on an early track, maybe on one of his several recordings of "You've Got the Power."
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-19-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think Bea Ford duets with James on an early track, maybe on one of his several recordings of "You've Got the Power."
    S YES, "Youve Got the Power" is GREAT. Bea Ford could sing, then James sent her packing for what ever reason & she tried to go back with Joe Tex & Tex wrote & recorded "You Can Have Her" as a letter addressed to "James" listen to it on youtube its hillarious.

MichaelSherry59, I would put Wilson Pickett above James Brown.

I've seen pickett live,and as great as he was,j.b. Was better.