[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It’s My House

It’s My House

This has to be one of Diana’s best known, non-hit singles and one she obviously still enjoys performing. #32 UK.
    I wonder if after the mega success of the “diana” album, it might have been better to return to “The Boss” album and re-release “It’s My House” or “I Ain’t Been Licked” as opposed to not a chance in hell singles as “One More Chance” and “Crying My Heart Out”
    They certainly would have appealed more to the youth market.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-07-2023 at 03:38 PM.

No way. I agree about "One More Chance". I think "Crying" had a bit of a chance, but I think it got lost in the shuffle of all that was going on with Diana's contract. Nevertheless, to jump back to an old album would have been just another in a long list of missteps with her Motown solo period. I really think Teena Marie should have been given a shot at Diana. The productions Teena did on herself were good to great. Plus, with the exception of Valerie Simpson, Diana was always being produced by a man. Perhaps a woman's touch was again necessary.

The Boss was fresh and new territory for Diana. The Chic album was entirely different from The Boss and yet again was fresh and new for Diana. Both of these kept her relevant. She needed something new and fresh that everyone could get into. I think Teena could have done that for Diana. Now whether or not Diana would have been cool being produced by a "newbie" is a whole other conversation. But if we pretend like Diana always got along with other women, I think going with Teena would have been a pretty good idea. I can't imagine the project would have done any worse than "Chance" and "Crying".

i think the Boss songs were too "disco" for 1981 and 82. the diana 80 album had 2 massive singles from it and it MIGHT have been able to support a 3rd if they hadn't had to go out with It's My Turn. due to the movie's release, this was a must and the result was one of her most successful and compelling ballads.

IMT was released in Sept and when One More Chance was released in Feb 81, there was already huge speculation about her departure. Chance is a decent enough song but frankly the grunting and growling during the ending isn't attractive and i think hurt the marketability of the song.

then in May they released Crying My Heart and then in June they released Endless Love. Crying MIGHT have had a change but Endless was just SOOOOOOO massive. it simply inundated and swamped Chance out of the market. Crying is a better song IMO than One More Chance. so perhaps it would have done better as a follow up to It's My Turn. you MIGHT have gotten some headway from Tenderness or Give Up. doubtful though that either would have been a massive hit

My Old Piano was released in the US in Nov 81 but by then WDFFIL was out and everyone was focused on that.

then they tried We Can Never Light That Old Flame in 82 but it didn't chart. supposedly they were looking to release the album of canned material called Revelations but the word is Berry figured he's take the high road and not release things to compete with her sales [[according to Randy's book).

IMO House is the weakest track on the Boss album. it lacks any real structure and just sort of meanders about. it also lacks a significant and energized ending. at 3:00 there's a nice and strong return to the chorus but then by 3:10 its back to the more chant-like "it's my house..."

i'm not saying it's a bad song. i like it a lot and to say it's the weakest on the lp isn't really a huge criticism either. that lp is her strongest studio work of her career. every track is amazing so it's really got a challenge to be able to emerge from the rest. it's just that IMH isn't a commercial single. Just like I'm In the World isn't either.

frankly the title track should have done MUCH better than only hitting #19. as a follow up, they should have gone with a more traditional tune that was more in-line with the sound and style of The Boss.

Speaking of “It’s my house”. The other day I picked up my 17 year old grandson from school and gave his friend a ride home. I was playing “The Boss” CD. My grandson told me the next day at school his friend asked him who was the singer I was playing? My grandson said why and he said that song “It’s my house” was the dope! My grandson laughed and told him it was Diana Ross. I’ve been teasing my grandson ever since. Lol. My grandson knows how I love me some Diana Ross. Lol. Also when “The Boss” album was first released I was in high school and all of my friends picked “It’s my house” as their favorite on the album. In fact one of my friends had said that Diana Ross sings that song so perfectly nobody else could have done it better. So many great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Speaking of “It’s my house”. The other day I picked up my 17 year old grandson from school and gave his friend a ride home. I was playing “The Boss” CD. My grandson told me the next day at school his friend asked him who was the singer I was playing? My grandson said why and he said that song “It’s my house” was the dope! My grandson laughed and told him it was Diana Ross. I’ve been teasing my grandson ever since. Lol. My grandson knows how I love me some Diana Ross. Lol. Also when “The Boss” album was first released I was in high school and all of my friends picked “It’s my house” as their favorite on the album. In fact one of my friends had said that Diana Ross sings that song so perfectly nobody else could have done it better. So many great memories.
    That’s a cute story vgalindo and kind of reminds me of Diana asking Nile Rodgers for songs that would appeal to her children for the “diana” album.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think the Boss songs were too "disco" for 1981 and 82. the diana 80 album had 2 massive singles from it and it MIGHT have been able to support a 3rd if they hadn't had to go out with It's My Turn. due to the movie's release, this was a must and the result was one of her most successful and compelling ballads.

IMT was released in Sept and when One More Chance was released in Feb 81, there was already huge speculation about her departure. Chance is a decent enough song but frankly the grunting and growling during the ending isn't attractive and i think hurt the marketability of the song.

then in May they released Crying My Heart and then in June they released Endless Love. Crying MIGHT have had a change but Endless was just SOOOOOOO massive. it simply inundated and swamped Chance out of the market. Crying is a better song IMO than One More Chance. so perhaps it would have done better as a follow up to It's My Turn. you MIGHT have gotten some headway from Tenderness or Give Up. doubtful though that either would have been a massive hit

My Old Piano was released in the US in Nov 81 but by then WDFFIL was out and everyone was focused on that.

then they tried We Can Never Light That Old Flame in 82 but it didn't chart. supposedly they were looking to release the album of canned material called Revelations but the word is Berry figured he's take the high road and not release things to compete with her sales [[according to Randy's book).
    The reason i was prompted to post about “It’s My House” was seeing the wonderful John Mayer performing the song in concert and on Watch What Happens. On both occasions the audience appear to love it.
    The song has a timeless appeal, and could have been released at any point during the 80’s and not sound out of place. Particularly when you consider such dross as “So Close” was released as a single. It’s still very popular here in the UK, and remember it going down well at Central Park
    If not returning to the “The Boss”, further singles should have been released from the “diana” set after “It’s My Turn” had cooled.
    ”To Love Again” was a massive step back and lost her some of the kudos she had built with her previous two albums.
    “Stay With Me” might have been the saving grace, but for some strange reason was ignored.

Some songs become hits or standards over time. It's My House is one of those. It's my favorite on The Boss as well. Lyrics are simple enough but relatable and Diana's performance is sincere, sexy and soulful all at once. She really connects with the song and that makes the listeners connect with it as well.

I heard "It's My House" being played or sung so much as I was growing up that I assumed it was a massive hit. I was shocked when I eventually learned that it wasn't. I actually didn't like the song for a very long time. Over the last decade it has become one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I heard "It's My House" being played or sung so much as I was growing up that I assumed it was a massive hit. I was shocked when I eventually learned that it wasn't. I actually didn't like the song for a very long time. Over the last decade it has become one of my favorites.
    As for its not being a huge hit, same experience for me! It was such a staple on r&b radio when I was a kid that I assumed it was a pop smash as well.

It recently popped up on my phone's shuffle while I was commuting home on the train. I immediately put my book down and let the groove and Diana's sparkling vocal approach wash over me [to heck with the folks around me!]. Such a jam 40 odd years on...I dare say it's perfect. As I've said on these boards before, she owes us nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The reason i was prompted to post about “It’s My House” was seeing the wonderful John Mayer performing the song in concert and on Watch What Happens. On both occasions the audience appear to love it.
    The song has a timeless appeal, and could have been released at any point during the 80’s and not sound out of place. Particularly when you consider such dross as “So Close” was released as a single. It’s still very popular here in the UK, and remember it going down well at Central Park
    If not returning to the “The Boss”, further singles should have been released from the “diana” set after “It’s My Turn” had cooled.
    ”To Love Again” was a massive step back and lost her some of the kudos she had built with her previous two albums.
    “Stay With Me” might have been the saving grace, but for some strange reason was ignored.
    I think the diana lp and "It's My Turn" was such a complete departure in sounds from one another that the only direction to go was either continue the "Turn" sound, which is what Motown did with no success, or go with something new and different. That Masser ballad formula- Diana had already done that in the 70s, and yes, it worked for her but I think ultimately there was only so much of that the public could stand. That's why I've never been too thrilled with the idea of a full Masser produced album. But the public ate up funky Diana. Singles wise, until "It's My Turn", she hadn't had a ballad hit since 1975's theme from Mahogany. Since then she hit big with "Hangover", The Boss lp, and then the diana lp and it's huge singles. Motown should have turned to a new funky/sophisticated soul album for her.

Now "Endless Love"'s massive success could have turned into a big album if Diana and Lionel were paired together. I think the public might have eaten it up. Love it or hate it, there's no denying the appeal of "Endless". I think "Dreaming Of You" was equally as great, and proves that Diana and Lionel's vocal chemistry easily translated from ballad to something a bit more uptempo.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    As I've said on these boards before, she owes us nothing.
    Tell that to my bank account. All the money I've given that lady since 1992, she ought to be over here helping me prepare Easter dinner. Oh she owes me something. I bought I Love You. I. Bought. I. Love. You. Yes indeedy, she owes me something.

Tell that to my bank account. All the money I've given that lady since 1992, she ought to be over here helping me prepare Easter dinner. Oh she owes me something. I bought I Love You. I. Bought. I. Love. You. Yes indeedy, she owes me something.
    I agree that like most successful performers, she owes her fans everything. Without them she would not have enjoyed the kind of lavish existence that most can only dream about.

I think the diana lp and "It's My Turn" was such a complete departure in sounds from one another that the only direction to go was either continue the "Turn" sound, which is what Motown did with no success, or go with something new and different. That Masser ballad formula- Diana had already done that in the 70s, and yes, it worked for her but I think ultimately there was only so much of that the public could stand. That's why I've never been too thrilled with the idea of a full Masser produced album. But the public ate up funky Diana. Singles wise, until "It's My Turn", she hadn't had a ballad hit since 1975's theme from Mahogany. Since then she hit big with "Hangover", The Boss lp, and then the diana lp and it's huge singles. Motown should have turned to a new funky/sophisticated soul album for her.

Now "Endless Love"'s massive success could have turned into a big album if Diana and Lionel were paired together. I think the public might have eaten it up. Love it or hate it, there's no denying the appeal of "Endless". I think "Dreaming Of You" was equally as great, and proves that Diana and Lionel's vocal chemistry easily translated from ballad to something a bit more uptempo.
    After the huge success of “diana”, who on earth thought to follow it up with a Masser produced album?. Gordy perhaps. Money aside, one can kind of understand how she might have become disillusioned with the label.

This has to be one of Diana’s best known, non-hit singles and one she obviously still enjoys performing. #32 UK.
    I wonder if after the mega success of the “diana” album, it might have been better to return to “The Boss” album and re-release “It’s My House” or “I Ain’t Been Licked” as opposed to not a chance in hell singles as “One More Chance” and “Crying My Heart Out”
    They certainly would have appealed more to the youth market.
    it’s nice to read a concurring opinion about those two singles. I’ve always felt that they didn’t get finished. Especially Crying. I love the verse to one more chance, not necessarily for radio. The chorus? I don’t know what they were thinking. Neither one of these songs got anywhere near making it because they just weren’t radio material. I think the only reason they got released is because that’s all Motown had. I was very hopeful for both of them when I saw that personnel on the labels, but once I heard them…… those two songs were sad and touching. I would have released now that you’re gone when it’s my turn stalled at number nine. May be tenderness. I don’t understand the idea of releasing. It’s my house as it was already released and a big El Floppo. It may be a timeless, great record, but it had absolutely no chance of making top 40 radio lists, and it didn’t. I can’t imagine it getting any adds at all.

After the huge success of “diana”, who on earth thought to follow it up with a Masser produced album?. Gordy perhaps. Money aside, one can kind of understand how she might have become disillusioned with the label.
    she stopped recording for them. This is all they had. That album sold a lot better than I thought it would.

No way. I agree about "One More Chance". I think "Crying" had a bit of a chance, but I think it got lost in the shuffle of all that was going on with Diana's contract. Nevertheless, to jump back to an old album would have been just another in a long list of missteps with her Motown solo period. I really think Teena Marie should have been given a shot at Diana. The productions Teena did on herself were good to great. Plus, with the exception of Valerie Simpson, Diana was always being produced by a man. Perhaps a woman's touch was again necessary.

The Boss was fresh and new territory for Diana. The Chic album was entirely different from The Boss and yet again was fresh and new for Diana. Both of these kept her relevant. She needed something new and fresh that everyone could get into. I think Teena could have done that for Diana. Now whether or not Diana would have been cool being produced by a "newbie" is a whole other conversation. But if we pretend like Diana always got along with other women, I think going with Teena would have been a pretty good idea. I can't imagine the project would have done any worse than "Chance" and "Crying".
    Teena Marie??? BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    she stopped recording for them. This is all they had. That album sold a lot better than I thought it would.
    With all due respect that’s pretty obvious. I was wondering if the album was planned before they knew she was departing. If so, it was not the direction Motown should have been taking her in, considering how well “diana” was received.

it’s nice to read a concurring opinion about those two singles. I’ve always felt that they didn’t get finished. Especially Crying. I love the verse to one more chance, not necessarily for radio. The chorus? I don’t know what they were thinking. Neither one of these songs got anywhere near making it because they just weren’t radio material. I think the only reason they got released is because that’s all Motown had. I was very hopeful for both of them when I saw that personnel on the labels, but once I heard them…… those two songs were sad and touching. I would have released now that you’re gone when it’s my turn stalled at number nine. May be tenderness. I don’t understand the idea of releasing. It’s my house as it was already released and a big El Floppo. It may be a timeless, great record, but it had absolutely no chance of making top 40 radio lists, and it didn’t. I can’t imagine it getting any adds at all.
    I think a remix of “Its My House” would have stood a better chance then those two rather old school, average sounding ballads. With the exception of the lovely, but non single orientated “Friend To Friend”, almost anything from the diana” set would have been preferable.
    As regards “TLA”, “Stay With Me’ was the most commercial ballad featured, while even “To Love Again” might have proved a better choice given some decent airplay.

Maybe Gordy was slamming out the singles because he was concerned about letting her go, and a few more mega hits in the Motown bank may have made it easier to see her match RCA as a new, recoupable investment? He certainly piled it up in the bank on her previous sales....she left Motown in her most successful chart year since 1966....Gordy had a lot to weigh...but he also must have sensed leaving was indeed a new beginning, and a step towards freedom / independence she wouldn't have if she stayed...and maybe on a VERY personal level he didn't want to take that away from her.

I love IT'S MY HOUSE....it rolled in a nice groove in a very not overpowering way...I heard it a lot on the radio...I don't like the slow songs on The Boss or the DIANA LPS...I'll take the '78 LP over both of those..it had beautiful ballards and I loved all the disco cuts....the only dog there for me was TOGETHER...and I thought as comp TO LOVE AGAIN was great...the CD with the extra tracks upped it even more.

I’m wondering if “The Boss” album might have faired better had it followed a better quality album then the mishmash of Ross 78. There was also the disaster of The Wiz which didn’t help matters. Perhaps had it been released after “Baby It’s Me”, when Diana’s profile hadn’t taken a battering it might have really taken off.

What on earth happened to promotion for this song?. In the UK it was competing with an inferior cover version which hindered it’s climb up the pop charts.
    Were there any tie in tv appearances in the USA to actually promote it?. The song screamed out for a video of some kind.

I’m wondering if “The Boss” album might have faired better had it followed a better quality album then the mishmash of Ross 78. There was also the disaster of The Wiz which didn’t help matters. Perhaps had it been released after “Baby It’s Me”, when Diana’s profile hadn’t taken a battering it might have really taken off.
    I think the song “The Boss” was the wrong lead single. IMO. I personally would have went with “Its my house” or “ I ain’t been licked”. I think the single “The Boss” was a great club song but I was a teenager at the time and I knew some kids that didn’t like it. Everyone seemed to love “Its my house”. The album should have been a massive hit but I think the lead single hurt the sales. IMO

What on earth happened to promotion for this song?. In the UK it was competing with an inferior cover version which hindered it’s climb up the pop charts.
    Were there any tie in tv appearances in the USA to actually promote it?. The song screamed out for a video of some kind.
    Don't forget IMH was the subject of an expose on hyping in the UK chart

With all due respect that’s pretty obvious. I was wondering if the album was planned before they knew she was departing. If so, it was not the direction Motown should have been taking her in, considering how well “diana” was received.
    I can’t imagine after the success of the previous two albums, that they would go back to a ballad, heavy collection, unless they are had incredible material. But they didn’t have anything. I would imagine they were hoping for a follow up with chic, or maybe go in another direction and have her work with Rick James, and I love Ran’s idea about her working with Teena Marie. A funky album with maybe a track with Marvin, or Stevie, Michael, if there was enough collector for a strong package, I think it would’ve been great.

I think the song “The Boss” was the wrong lead single. IMO. I personally would have went with “Its my house” or “ I ain’t been licked”. I think the single “The Boss” was a great club song but I was a teenager at the time and I knew some kids that didn’t like it. Everyone seemed to love “Its my house”. The album should have been a massive hit but I think the lead single hurt the sales. IMO
    I agree about the lead single not being the title track, but my choice would have been "No One Gets the Prize", the full song. She killed that, it was funky and not quite as disco as "The Boss". I do wonder if "It's My House" would have done better right out the gate also. The song apparently appealed to a lot of people. It's chart showings indicate that something wasn't right, whether that was Motown promotion, not enough DJs caring, or what, I don't know.

I can’t imagine after the success of the previous two albums, that they would go back to a ballad, heavy collection, unless they are had incredible material. But they didn’t have anything. I would imagine they were hoping for a follow up with chic, or maybe go in another direction and have her work with Rick James, and I love Ran’s idea about her working with Teena Marie. A funky album with maybe a track with Marvin, or Stevie, Michael, if there was enough collector for a strong package, I think it would’ve been great.
    It's my understanding that Rick wanted to work with Diana prior to Teena joining the label but Gordy nixed the idea, or Motown wanted Rick to work with Diana and Rick nixed the idea. Not sure if either of these are true, but I've read both versions many times over the years. Whatever the truth, I think it sucks that we never got that production. Could you imagine Diana singing "Ghetto Life"? [[With lyrics tailored to fit her, of course.) She would have knocked the public dead.

It's my understanding that Rick wanted to work with Diana prior to Teena joining the label but Gordy nixed the idea, or Motown wanted Rick to work with Diana and Rick nixed the idea. Not sure if either of these are true, but I've read both versions many times over the years. Whatever the truth, I think it sucks that we never got that production. Could you imagine Diana singing "Ghetto Life"? [[With lyrics tailored to fit her, of course.) She would have knocked the public dead.
    In the notes for the "diana" deluxe edition, it states that Rick wrote I'M A SUCKER FOR YOUR LOVE and other songs for Diana. But he wanted to do an entire album on her, not just a few. When that didn't happen, he produced the songs on Teena Marie.

I gather Diana and Rick must have spent some time together as I recall reading [in his book?] that Diana got on well with Rick's protege Val Young. Rick thought this was because they connected being both from Detroit.
    Last edited by reese; 04-10-2023 at 09:34 AM.

nice job!!! passing on the love for DR to that next generation!

i believe it all started with the movie It's My Turn. the producers of that wanted a big sweeping ballad and worked with motown, masser and diana for it. because of the timing of the movie's release, the single had to be released. and IMO it's one of her best ballads ever. everyone of course has speculated that the subject matter of the lyric and her interest in breaking ties with Gordy prompted this wonderful interpretation. as if Diana hadn't been turning out amazing lyrical interpretations since the early 60s. lol regardless, the song is among the top of her catalog and it was a big hit too. because of that, it's only natural that it would need to be on an album. and it is a bit surprising that given Masser's hit run with her that he never had an album of his own. so he was probably working out a full album but it would have to have included some pop and dance tunes. there's no way they would have simply done a full album of weepy ballads

also the Chic team was contracted to do a 2nd album with her. but that was dropped with her leaving the label

Endless Love came about around the time she announced her departure to RCA. i think that was announced in March and EL was released in June. had she stayed with the label it is possible that EL and Dreaming of You would have been part of a Lionel-produced album. i think that would have been a huge pop success.

As with most of her 70s releases, Diana did very little tv. The only performances I remember promoting THE BOSS album was when she guest hosted the Tonight Show that summer, and then months later, appeared on the Big Apple float during Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. For both, she sang the title track.

also the Chic team was contracted to do a 2nd album with her. but that was dropped with her leaving the label
    Diana mentioned that she wanted the Chic team to do her RCA debut but they couldn't come to terms about creative control. Despite their huge success together, maybe Niles and Bernard were still smarting over the "diana" album being remixed.

During her appearance on SOUL TRAIN, Diana also mentioned wanting to work with the Chic team again.

I agree about the lead single not being the title track, but my choice would have been "No One Gets the Prize", the full song. She killed that, it was funky and not quite as disco as "The Boss". I do wonder if "It's My House" would have done better right out the gate also. The song apparently appealed to a lot of people. It's chart showings indicate that something wasn't right, whether that was Motown promotion, not enough DJs caring, or what, I don't know.
    Yes I agree “No one gets the Prize” would have also been a great song to release first. Much stronger than “The Boss”

i think the title track has more pop appeal than Prize, IMH or Once in the Morning. maybe I Ain't Been Licked could have been an option. although i'm sorry lol - there are just too many inappropriate comments and gestures this title could trigger.

The Boss is my fav album of hers and The Boss [[song) is one of my all time favs too. it's so energetic and joyful. the gospel inspired approach to a disco song is something i found to be quite unique. sure tons of disco had female singers or groups of females. but this really reminds me of a Baptist church on a Sunday morning praising glory but to a disco beat

Prize would have been a MONSTER follow up single IMO. a perfect match pair with Boss

IMH is a great groove and I too was familiar with it even though it did nothing on the charts. it would be SOOOOOOOO interesting if any of the fans like Bayou or George had any insights into why this just bombed from a chart and sales standpoint. I agree that live it just zings and makes for a great segment of the show. but as i mentioned above, i just don't think it was right for a single. because it's a groove, it needs more time to flesh out and get everyone moving. it's not a compact 2:35 experience.

“Prize” bombed when released as a single in the UK, so not that sure of it’s hit potential.
    The miserable failure of “House” in the USA does appear pretty odd. It’s been said it received decent airplay, so something else was amiss. I find it pretty hard to believe that folks just hated the song as it has always received a positive reaction when performed live.
    I definitely think it should have been the lead single and prefer it to “The Boss”.

This song is a classic, especially in the black community [[in the USA). It is a song she is well known for. Also, on a side note, I read that this song is featured in the new movie 80 for Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    This song is a classic, especially in the black community [[in the USA). It is a song she is well known for. Also, on a side note, I read that this song is featured in the new movie 80 for Brady.
    The fact the song has endured so well makes it’s failure all the more baffling.

“Prize” bombed when released as a single in the UK, so not that sure of it’s hit potential.
    The miserable failure of “House” in the USA does appear pretty odd. It’s been said it received decent airplay, so something else was amiss. I find it pretty hard to believe that folks just hated the song as it has always received a positive reaction when performed live.
    I definitely think it should have been the lead single and prefer it to “The Boss”.
    that's a good point - i forgot Prize was released in the UK and didn't do much at all. was it released as single 2 in the UK? after The Boss? was IMH released there at all?

Yes sup_fan Prize was the follow up to The Boss here in the U.K...I remember hearing it a couple of times on our major radio station Radio 1 when I was getting ready for school but that was it..IMH suffered from the reggae version being released at the same time and they were both in the top 40 at the same time..having said that Diana's version of IMH stayed in the top 40 for ten weeks which is very unusual even beating some of her top singles like Theme From Mahogany.

"It's My House" still sounds fresh as yes now. "Once in The Morning" is my favorite tune on
    "The Boss". Love this album for its disco momentum. Oh to hear again, "Once in The Morning" at 6:00 am. Oh my!

i wonder if the lp had been released 6 or even 12 months earlier if it would have been bigger. given Bad Girls, all of the chic music, Heart of Glass, Tragedy and all the rest, was The Boss as strong and pushing the envelope enough? plus you had punk and new wave starting to make headway into pop music. and in summer 79 was the Disco Sucks event

i wonder if the lp had been released 6 or even 12 months earlier if it would have been bigger. given Bad Girls, all of the chic music, Heart of Glass, Tragedy and all the rest, was The Boss as strong and pushing the envelope enough? plus you had punk and new wave starting to make headway into pop music. and in summer 79 was the Disco Sucks event
    Good point. “The Boss” is a fine album, but not where music was heading in 79. A year earlier would have been the perfect time to release such an album.

Good point. “The Boss” is a fine album, but not where music was heading in 79. A year earlier would have been the perfect time to release such an album.
    maybe this is part of a broader issue. we've also speculated around the [[relative) failure of Baby Its Me. by the second half of the 70s motown was struggling. Stevie wasn't producing the hits like he had earlier in the decade [[secret life of plants anyone? lol). marvin was really about down for the count due to his drug use and problems. rick James and the Commodores were doing pretty well. but the temps had left, the sups had disbanded, High Ingery started strong and then fizzled.

even Berry mentioned in his book that motown was really in trouble around 79 and the chic diana album and Smokey's Being With You, plus some other things, really helped them rebound.

guess motown was just unable to tap into what was hot. they'd moved to LA but that was for movies and tv. guess they'd just assumed they'd be able to continue with music regardless. but LA wasn't the scene. in NYC you had disco and punk emerging. motown was just behind the times

I don't think the success or failure of a song can be judged by how good or poor it did somewhere else. Diana had some hits in the UK that went nowhere over here, and vice versa.

IMO Diana's lp stands up much better today than Donna's. I remember my first time hearing Donna's album. I was excited because I enjoyed the title cut and "Hot Stuff" so much and figured the rest of the album would be just as much a "wow" factor as those two songs. By the last song I was left with a "meh" feeling. Most of it sounds so dated. On the other hand, Diana's album to me always sounds fresh. Not that it sounds like it was recorded today. Lol Of course it sounds like a 70s album, but it doesn't sound gimmicky. Donna's album sounds gimmicky to me, aside from the previously mentioned songs and "Dim All the Lights". What gives Donna an edge is those two monster hits, which have continued to be popular songs with the general public. Unfortunately, Diana doesn't have a "Hot Stuff" or "Bad Girls" on her album. The best song on The Boss- whatever that might be- could never out compete those two songs.

Having said that, I do still believe that the album was chocked full of songs that could have been big radio hits, and that the album could have been at least a million seller. I can't help but feel like The Boss' problem was Motown. I don't believe the label did enough to make the album the success it deserved to be. The release schedule of the singles alone- as usual- suggest that the label wasn't taking The Boss seriously and thus the album underperformed the quality of the content.

I don't think the success or failure of a song can be judged by how good or poor it did somewhere else. Diana had some hits in the UK that went nowhere over here, and vice versa.
    ‘Tis very true. The Boss” is an album she should have released around 77/8 instead of the slick and sophisticated “Baby Its Me” or shoddy “Ross 78”.

the Boss lp and single were both released in May 79. IMH was released in Oct

what's curious is how slow the title track was do ANYTHING on the charts.

it was released 5/22 but didn't chart until 7/14!! that's nearly 2x as long. usually a song is entering the charts about 4 weeks after release. it then took from 7/14 until 10/6 to peak!!

80-71-61-57-45-40-36-32-28-25-22-21-19-19-44-92

the album was much more typical. released 5/23, entered charts on 6/16 and peaked 9/29. it was on the charts longer than many other lps, running longer that Touch Me In the Morning or Diana Ross 76

maybe word got out about how strong the overall lp was and so people rushed to buy it instead of the singles? maybe if they had released the single ahead of the lp by a few weeks or a month, it would have generated excitement for the overall project.

the Boss lp and single were both released in May 79. IMH was released in Oct

what's curious is how slow the title track was do ANYTHING on the charts.

it was released 5/22 but didn't chart until 7/14!! that's nearly 2x as long. usually a song is entering the charts about 4 weeks after release. it then took from 7/14 until 10/6 to peak!!

80-71-61-57-45-40-36-32-28-25-22-21-19-19-44-92

the album was much more typical. released 5/23, entered charts on 6/16 and peaked 9/29. it was on the charts longer than many other lps, running longer that Touch Me In the Morning or Diana Ross 76

maybe word got out about how strong the overall lp was and so people rushed to buy it instead of the singles? maybe if they had released the single ahead of the lp by a few weeks or a month, it would have generated excitement for the overall project.
    I gather THE BOSS' slow journey to its peak might have accounted for Motown's reluctance to release a follow-up until that October.

When was the 12" of THE BOSS released? That might have cut into the sales of the single as well.

Diana hosted the Tonight Show on 7/16. Maybe that appearance helped sales?

the discography says the 12" was also released in May 79. That was the long version of The Boss. the combo of No One/The Boss was released as the B side to the Sup medley of hits in Feb 80.

the discography says the 12" was also released in May 79. That was the long version of The Boss. the combo of No One/The Boss was released as the B side to the Sup medley of hits in Feb 80.
    Back then, I only bought Diana's albums. But as soon as I heard the 12" of THE BOSS on the radio, I bought that as well. I didn't buy the single until years later.