[REMOVE ADS]

'Tina', the Documentary

'Tina' the recent HBO doc has been freed from its HBO shackles and can now be streamed on Amazon. I watched it last evening, and my reaction, as a 50+ year fan of Tina, is: WOW! The lady has told her story for decades now so I was not too enthusiastic about yet another re-hashing, but this doc has much to recommend. For a long-time fan it was great to see [[and hear) so much archival material that we have not heretofore been exposed to. And, the new interview with The Lioness at Rest is perhaps the image I will now always carry of 'my Tina'.

Personally I would have preferred a tad less Ike and more information of the development of Tina's stage personality/performance. To my knowledge we have never been given much information about just when Tina realized she could not only dance, but ... dance! And though we are told that every early I&TT Revue played to packed audiences, I would like to know if there was any early press coverage.

And, being that Buddhism was such an important factor to Tina's self-realization, I would be interested to hear her opinion of her birth-self vs. her conditioned response to life and her adaptation to becoming a self-realized success.

In the end I came to my own realization that my love of Tina came not only from her stage presence and talent but also from a shared experience of early-life less-than-optimal experience that formed and challenges many of us. Be well, Tina - you did good. You really, really, did good.

I watched on HBO a month ago with my nephew and his husband and fell in love with Tina all over again. A true survivor and a lovely goodbye to her fans. Ike Turner was a sadistic and evil and disgusting person and yet she survived. Her Mom never really loved her and yet she survived. She was left with nothing and yet she survived. The cream always rises to the top and her comeback and love affair with Mr Bach prove that. Ike Turners son loathed what he did to his Mom. That documentary moved to me to tears. A TRUE Survivor. Enjoy your retirement Tina Turner you sure deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I watched on HBO a month ago with my nephew and his husband and fell in love with Tina all over again. A true survivor and a lovely goodbye to her fans. Ike Turner was a sadistic and evil and disgusting person and yet she survived. Her Mom never really loved her and yet she survived. She was left with nothing and yet she survived. The cream always rises to the top and her comeback and love affair with Mr Bach prove that. Ike Turners son loathed what he did to his Mom. That documentary moved to me to tears. A TRUE Survivor. Enjoy your retirement Tina Turner you sure deserve it.
    I'm happy that you got to view the film with family, Ms. Roberta. I had previously been under the false impression that Tina & Erwin were a sort of 'marriage of convenience' but boy was I wrong! Their true love for each other comes through loud and clear in the film. As a 45+ year fan at the end of the film I felt very [[selfishly) sad, that I would never again get to see Tina live. I also find the situation with her son Craig so very, very sad. Craig obviously loved his mom SO much - and I'm sure he had a lifetime of [[unnecessary) guilt about not being able to protect her from Ike. We'll pray for Mrs. Bach's health and happiness! You be well, too.

I watched this documentary, and by the end of it, I was crying. Tina had a rough life. Yes, she endured and overcame, and Yes, she reached artistic heights few ever reached, but those scars - they had to have stuck with her. One does not go through all that she did and come out unscathed. Tina's story is remarkable. he strength is incredible. Well done, Tina. Well done.