[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha - The Songs That Got Away

I just love this song and Aretha's gorgeous singing. As a single it went to #53 on the R&B chart and didn't even enter the top 100.

... and here's a live version - the lady is beautiful here -

This is one of my favorites from Aretha's Arista years. In fact, the entire WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU SWEAT album is one of my favorites from those years as well. I was surprised that it did so badly, her lowest charting Arista album.
    Last edited by reese; 09-09-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This is one of my favorites from Aretha's Arista years. In fact, the entire WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU SWEAT album is one of my favorites from those years as well. I was surprised that it did so badly, her lowest charting Arista album.
    I love the lp too, Reese, and was/am equally as puzzled. Someone Else's Eyes, I Dreamed A Dream and What Did You Give are all great ballads. I find the cover of Everyday People a tad 'whatever', but What You See ... and Mary Goes Round are both excellent bangers. So many elements contribute to an lp's success or failure [[the cover of the lp is fug ... ) But the failure of SEE is just a shame. Aretha never sounded better and the song is just beautiful. I can only imagine what the phrase 'I'd never take myself for granted' meant to Ms. Franklin at this point in her life. And, at the risk of being a GMC [[gay male chauvinist), I repeat: In the live clip, the lady looks gorgeous. Be well - I always look forward to your opinions.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 09-09-2021 at 08:28 PM.

WYSIWYS was about to be released the first time I saw Aretha in concert in 1991.

Having never seen her in person, I had no idea what to expect. EVERYDAY PEOPLE was out, yet she didn't perform it. Instead, she sang MARY GOES ROUND. She was backed by a full orchestra yet had no backup singers, aside from one male vocalist. No matter. She put on a great show. At the end, while singing FREEWAY OF LOVE, she climbed on top of the piano, lied down on her back, and started kicking her legs in the air like a Rockette!

After that, with the exception of 1993, 1994, and 1998, I saw Aretha in concert every year [at least once] until 2017.
    Last edited by reese; 09-10-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks for sharing that Aretha concert memory, Reese. It's funny to hear that she had climbed up on the piano, as I remember she did an interview possibly 10 years ago where she was asked if she had any advice for current female artists, and she was quoted as saying, "Don't climb up on the piano!" I recall everyone felt she was making a veiled reference to Lady Gaga's performance theatrics at that time, as she was known for getting up on that piano. I didn't realize that Aretha used to do that very same thing that she was telling the young'uns not to do!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    WYSIWYS was about to be released the first time I saw Aretha in concert in 1991.

Having never seen her in person, I had no idea what to expect. EVERYDAY PEOPLE was out, yet she didn't perform it. Instead, she sang MARY GOES ROUND. She was backed by a full orchestra yet had no backup singers, aside from one male vocalist. No matter. She put on a great show. At the end, while singing FREEWAY OF LOVE, she climbed on top of the piano, lied down on her back, and started kicking her legs in the air like a Rockette!

After that, with the exception of 1993, 1994, and 1998, I saw Aretha in concert every year [at least once] until 2017.
    Aretha was never boring, Reese! I also attended a WYSIWYG show [[at Radio City) and for the finale our girl sported a sort of Vegas showgirl outfit with a headdress and tights for Everyday People! I just adored her and also never missed a chance for a live concert. Traditionally I'd be awaiting the entrance of The Queen, kinda bored, thinking about laundry and groceries, then ... the SECOND Ms. F appeared on stage I was among the first on my feet screaming. I still have not really processed the fact that I'll never be in her presence again.

I've been looking for another Song That Got Away from Aretha, and was hoping to pick something from So Damn Happy. BUT ... listening to this lp several times in the past few days, it's kinda-sorta impossible to pick one cut. So - here's You Are My Joy [[reprise). Holy be-jay-sus. My girl could sing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Aretha was never boring, Reese! I also attended a WYSIWYG show [[at Radio City) and for the finale our girl sported a sort of Vegas showgirl outfit with a headdress and tights for Everyday People! I just adored her and also never missed a chance for a live concert. Traditionally I'd be awaiting the entrance of The Queen, kinda bored, thinking about laundry and groceries, then ... the SECOND Ms. F appeared on stage I was among the first on my feet screaming. I still have not really processed the fact that I'll never be in her presence again.
    I saw Ree Ree at Radio City quite a few times. It was always a highlight of my trips to NYC.

Aretha was probably the most unpredictable performer I've ever attended a concert of. Sometimes she delivered the hits full-throttle and other times she would give you a evening of Celine Dion and Roger Whitakker.

I remember catching her at BB King's Club on 42nd Street in 2004. I recognized her friend Wil selling the concert program and when I did, he slipped me a copy of the evening's set list but made me promise not to show it to anyone. That particular show cost a pretty penny and it was one of those nights where she was light on the hits but it was a good concert nonetheless. But I felt sorry for the guy next to me. He had been helping a friend move and as a result, didn't arrive at the show until almost Aretha's last number. That was a lot of $$ down the drain.

But it is almost unbelievable now that she is gone. I'm glad I have the memories of so many of her concerts.

My favorite from the SO DAMN HAPPY album.

Like any other legendary artist, Aretha Franklin has a lot of "songs that got away". "[It's Just] Your Love" from Jump To It is a big favorite of mine.

https://youtu.be/mXEzj5ZRx_8