[REMOVE ADS]

Second Volume of Complete Philadelphia International Albums Arrives in November

From The Second Disc.com:
    Back in late January, we shared news of Philadelphia International Records’ 50th anniversary plans. The centerpiece of the campaign announced by Sony Music’s Legacy Recordings was a series of fifteen CD box sets via the U.K.-based United Souls/Snapper Music presenting every PIR album in chronological order. The first of those box sets hit stores in late May, and now the second volume has been announced for November 19 release.

The slipcased, 8-CD/1-12″ single hardcover book-style set entitled Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol. 2 will feature the following eight albums, originally released in 1973:

• Billy Paul, Feelin’ Good at the Cadillac Club [Philadelphia International KZ 32119];
    • The O’Jays, In Philadelphia [Philadelphia International KZ 32120];
    • The Intruders, Super Hits [Gamble KZ 32131];
    • Spiritual Concept, Spiritual Concept [Philadelphia International KZ 32404];
    • The Three Degrees, The Three Degrees [Philadelphia International KZ 32406];
    • Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, Black and Blue [Philadelphia International KZ 32407];
    • The O’Jays, Ship Ahoy [Philadelphia International KZ 32408]; and
    • Billy Paul, War of the Gods [Philadelphia International KZ 32409].

The set additionally features a 12-inch vinyl single of Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes’ “The Love I Lost” b/w The O’Jays’ “It’s Too Strong” and an exclusive poster.

Various Artists, Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol. 2 [United Souls/Snapper Music, 2021] [Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada]
    CD 1: Billy Paul, Feelin’ Good at the Cadillac Club [Philadelphia International KZ 32119]

1. Billy Boy
    2. Missing You
    3. Bluesette
    4. On a Clear Day [You Can See Forever]
    5. Just in Time
    6. That’s Life
    7. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
    8. Feeling Good
    9. Somewhere

CD 2: The O’Jays, In Philadelphia [[Philadelphia International KZ 32120)

1. One Night Affair
    2. You’re the Best Thing Since Candy
    3. Branded Bad
    4. I Should Be Your Lover
    5. Looky Looky [Look at Me Girl]
    6. Deeper [In Love with You]
    7. Let Me in Your World
    8. Just Can’t Get Enough
    9. I’ve Got the Groove
    10. Little Green Apples/Something
    11. It’s Too Strong

CD 3: The Intruders, Super Hits [[Gamble KZ 32131)

1. Cowboys to Girls
    2. Together
    3. [We’ll Be] United
    4. [Love Is Like A] Baseball Game
    5. Slow Drag
    6. When We Get Married
    7. [Win, Place or Show] She’s a Winner
    8. Sad Girl
    9. A Love That’s Real
    10. Friends No More
    11. Gonna Be Strong
    12. Me Tarzan, You Jane
    13. Check Yourself
    14. I’ll Always Love My Mama [Part 1]

CD 4: Spiritual Concept, Spiritual Concept [Philadelphia International KZ 32404]

1. Spiritual Sky
    2. Let’s Take It All
    3. California Woman
    4. Where Are the Cares for Tomorrow?
    5. Remedy
    6. Get It On

CD 5: The Three Degrees, The Three Degrees [Philadelphia International KZ 32406]

1. Dirty Ol’ Man
    2. Can’t You See What You’re Doing to Me
    3. A Woman Needs a Good Man
    4. When Will I See You Again
    5. I Didn’t Know
    6. I Like Being a Woman
    7. If and When
    8. Year of Decision

CD 6: Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, Black and Blue [Philadelphia International KZ 32407]

1. Cabaret
    2. The Love I Lost
    3. It All Depends on You
    4. Concentrate on Me
    5. Satisfaction Guaranteed [Or Take Your Love Back]
    6. Is There a Place for Me
    7. I’m Weak for You
    8. I’m Comin’ Home Tomorrow

CD 7: The O’Jays, Ship Ahoy [Philadelphia International KZ 32408]

1. Put Your Hands Together
    2. Ship Ahoy
    3. This Air I Breathe
    4. You Got Your Hooks in Me
    5. For the Love of Money
    6. Now That We Found Love
    7. Don’t Call Me Brother
    8. People Keep Tellin’ Me

CD 8: Billy Paul, War of the Gods [Philadelphia International KZ 32409]

1. I See the Light
    2. War of the Gods
    3. The Whole Town’s Talking
    4. I Was Married
    5. Thanks for Saving My Life
    6. Peace, Holy Peace

12-Inch Single:

1. The Love I Lost – Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes
    2. It’s Too Strong – The O’Jays

These look like such great sets. I have to abstain - can't buy everything - but I sure hope others take advantage of these releases.

Is the pre-order up and running somewhere? I have the first set so I'll get this one also just for completion sake. Also, anyone know how the first set sold?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Is the pre-order up and running somewhere? I have the first set so I'll get this one also just for completion sake. Also, anyone know how the first set sold?
    Yes; here's a pre-order link for Satisfaction Guaranteed from Amazon USA.
    Various Artists - Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol 2 / Various - Amazon.com Music

Amazon UK
    Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol 2 / Various: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

And Amazon Canada
    Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol 2 / Various: Various Artists: Amazon.ca: Music

Also, other online stores should have the set available for pre-order as well.

Deep Discount.com also has a pre-order link for the set.
    Various Artists Satisfaction Guaranteed: The Sound of Philadelphia International Records Vol 2 / Various [Import] Boxed Set, Bonus Vinyl, United Kingdom - Import on DeepDiscount
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-14-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks for the links Eddie.

thought I pretty much knew all PIR stuff:

not this one !

Is box set #3 out yet?

Is box set #3 out yet?
    No word about a Vol. 3 of The Sound of Philadelphia International as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    No word about a Vol. 3 of The Sound of Philadelphia International as yet.
    Thanks again, Eddie.

Does anyone here know the plans for Volume 3 release?

The last one came out late last year, so was expecting Volume 3 by now.

For those who missed Volume 1 and 2, they are beautiful packages and sound great too.

Exciting was the day at the monthly Pasadena record swap, back when it was outdoors in one of the City College's nearby tree shaded parking lots, when at one of my favorite vendor's, I was foraging through his 45s and I stumbled upon this record. He was one of the dealers that provided a turntable and he didn't mind you playing what he had to offer to see if you wanted it or not.
    I put the record on and as it played the excitement built through me. This is it! This is the record that birthed disco!!

It's been many years since that day, and although thousands of records have since passed through my hands, my opinion of that discovery has not changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Exciting was the day at the monthly Pasadena record swap, back when it was outdoors in one of the City College's nearby tree shaded parking lots, when at one of my favorite vendor's, I was foraging through his 45s and I stumbled upon this record. He was one of the dealers that provided a turntable and he didn't mind you playing what he had to offer to see if you wanted it or not.
    I put the record on and as it played the excitement built through me. This is it! This is the record that birthed disco!!

It's been many years since that day, and although thousands of records have since passed through my hands, my opinion of that discovery has not changed.
    That song came from a vastly underrated album. The whole album is great. I first had the album on cassette tape. A couple of songs had to grow on me, but now I like it even better. I've been playing it the last couple of days in the car. I have heard that the album did not sale well. Then I've heard that it did. I do know for a fact that when the Ojay's are mentioned in some articles, the album was not not even mention for some reason. Gamble & Huff and arrangers Martin and Bell did a very nice job.
    Last edited by mr_june; 08-30-2022 at 03:16 PM.

That song came from a vastly underrated album. The whole album is great. I first had the album on cassette tape. A couple of songs had to grow on me, but now I like it even better. I've been playing it the last couple of days in the car. I have heard that the album did not sale well. Then I've heard that it did. I do know for a fact that when the Ojay's are mentioned in some articles, the album was not not even mention for some reason. Gamble & Huff and arrangers Martin and Bell did a very nice job.
    When I first heard ONE NIGHT AFFAIR, I wasn’t schooled much on who was connected to who in the world of disco. In other words I didn’t know the salsoul orchestra was TSOP was The Trammps, Or who Thom bell and Bobby Martin were, nor did I know this was earl young playing with his signature tsss tiss if the high hat or Vince Montana playing xylophone. All that would fit together for me later.

The main problem regarding this recording is the tinny quality of the thin recording. The release sounds very dated, older than what else was currently out there. That’s what hindered its success imo.
    The PIR state of the art sound studio was in the works and when it was available the depth it brought to this full orchestral music would change everything.

I never heard the album sounding "tinny and thin". The cassette I mentioned sounded full as does the CD that I own. The sound is normal for each format.