[REMOVE ADS]

In the Neighborhood / The In Crowd

I've always loved all the versions of "In the Neighborhood" and it always sounded to me as Motown's "answer" to Dobie Gray's "The In Crowd". The theme of the song is on the same subject.
    Listening to Connie Haines' version recently issued on More Motown Girls, I picked up on the lyrics that actually state "In Crowd", which rather proves the point.
    I hadn't noticed this on other versions.
    Dobbie Gray 's hit was late 64...Motown's several versions were early 65 but none of the tracks were issued.
    Perhaps the moment had passed.

Yes both songs are great. Motown must have decided that they would not catch on with regard to a " In Crowd" answer type disc.
    I'm sure I had a bootleg tape of the band track without lyrics.

A senior moment here. On DFTMC

I can find 2 entries on Jimmy Ruffin.
    1 for Chris Clark
    Now a Connie Haines version.
    But can't remember or find entries for " On the Avenue".
    Can anybody refresh my memory on this version[[s) please?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    But can't remember or find entries for " On the Avenue".
    Can anybody refresh my memory on this version[[s) please?
    Cellarful of Motown [Vol 1] has "On The Avenue" by Jimmy Ruffin. I think it's listed as "On The Avenue [In The Neighborhood]" on the cd, I see that DFTMC has included it under "In The Neighborhood".

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I'm sure I had a bootleg tape of the band track without lyrics.
    Yes it's out there on bootlegs, for example track 14 on "In The Snakepit".

https://www.discogs.com/The-Funk-Bro...elease/8199027
    Last edited by calvin; 09-11-2021 at 02:27 AM.

Thank you Calvin, that clears things up a bit.
    I do have the "in the snakept" CD and I should have that old tape copy somewhere.
    Only time will tell if more versions surface.

Maybe my hearing is not so good but I always thought the the Imaginations 45 on Fraternity F1001 1967 "Strange Neighborhood)" is a take off of the Jimmy Ruffin original or very similar? Still a great record though.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 09-09-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Dobie Gray went to the well a few times on this theme.
    Northern Soul biggie " Out on the floor" and my favourite below, " See you at the go go"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A5pnnoCLwVo

In the UK in the 80s The Maisonettes had a hit with "Heartache Avenue" which to me sounds very much like a derivitive of "On The Avenue". I'd say it's based on that personally but just wonder how they got to hear the Motown record which hadn't seen release back then.As if to confirm their affinity for Motown they also recorded a good version of "Two Can Have a Party".

Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-09-2021 at 07:07 PM.

A Brief history of " Heartbreak Avenue", confirming that it was a Northern/60s Soul pastiche.
    I'm sure I have a track that this was lifted from.
    Jimmy Ruffin...maybe but I think it is another tune and I can't place it.

https://www.jonkutner.com/heartache-avenue-maisonettes/

Just to update on The Maisonettes, the band was formed by Lol Mason [[ex-singer of City Boy) and Mark Tibenham and Nick Parry. The female singers on the record were Cathy Evans, Sue Smythe and Kim Pickett, who as Proper Little Madams issued an album in 1982. In order to promote the record models Denise Ward and Elaine William lip-synched on the tv appearances of the band and were featured on promotional photos. As they were models rather than singers they were later replaced by Carla Mendonça and Elisa Backer [[nee Richards). Sadly Lol Mason died on 31 July 2019 aged 69.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Maybe my hearing is not so good but I always thought the the Imaginations 45 on Fraternity F1001 1967 "Strange Neighborhood)" is a take off of the Jimmy Ruffin original or very similar? Still a great record though.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  21.1 KB
    I guess you're referring to the theme of the lyrics being similar. But the music is different as night and day from Motown's Sound on "In The Neighborhood". It's a LOT more like the orchestral sound of New York, developed by Bert Berns, Pomus and Schuman, sung by The Drifters, Jay and The Americans, with a slight resemblance to Show Tunes thrown in.

I like Jimmy Ruffin's versions of "On The Avenue" and "In The Neighborhood" best, and I like "On The Avenue" better than "In The Neighborhood". And that's unusual for me, because I usually like the original recordings of songs best, and the song was written first as "In The Neighborhood", and later "On The Avenue" was written as a more positive version, but also because "Avenue" rolls of the tongue more smoothly, even though both words have 3 syllables.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  21.1 KB
    I guess you're referring to the theme of the lyrics being similar. But the music is different as night and day from Motown's Sound on "In The Neighborhood". It's a LOT more like the orchestral sound of New York, developed by Bert Berns, Pomus and Schuman, sung by The Drifters, Jay and The Americans, with a slight resemblance to Show Tunes thrown in.

I like Jimmy Ruffin's versions of "On The Avenue" and "In The Neighborhood" best, and I like "On The Avenue" better than "In The Neighborhood". And that's unusual for me, because I usually like the original recordings of songs best, and the song was written first as "In The Neighborhood", and later "On The Avenue" was written as a more positive version, but also because "Avenue" rolls of the tongue more smoothly, even though both words have 3 syllables.
    I also believe Avenue sounds a little classier than Neighbourhood

Interesting that The In Crowd was the product of the Page brothers, Billy [[writer), and Gene [[arranger) who went on in later years to do a lot of arranging work for Motown [[and Barry White)... Speaking of Dobie Gray... I believe his best effort was his biggest hit, Drift Away, and those awesome Reggie Young guitar licks...

There were 2 Jimmy Ruffin recordings ...On The Avenue ...and In The Neighbourhood...! ...listen to the beginning of each...!!

Grape